Newcastle United 2 - 2 Wigan Athletic - 16/10/10 - post match reaction from p21

Nate

Lovenkrands is bottom of the list for me now.

So we're basing his ability on a 65 minute appearance in one of our crappest performances of the season?

Christ man, the way people write off players here is ridiculous. Based on that measure, we'd only have Coloccini, Jonas and Shola left at the f***ing club

So we're basing his ability on a 65 minute appearance in one of our crappest performances of the season?

Christ man, the way people write off players here is ridiculous. Based on that measure, we'd only have Coloccini, Jonas and Shola left at the f***ing club

You hit the nail on the head with this one.

Guest Heneage

It's not that at all, it's his game against Accrington too. Lovenkrands didn't play poorly, in the sense his passing was off or his shooting was bad, he just offered us nothing bar an offside run. I'm not writing him off, but right now he's not offering us anything.

Rubbish. A cup match is pretty much irrelevant - they nearly nicked an equaliser man, the team that can't get out of fucking League two.

I really believe that a run of two/three 90 minute performances and he'll start offering us the sort of stuff he did last season - he's offering as much as Carroll is atm - is he going bottom of your list too?

Guest Heneage

No because he offers us an aerial presence and is a danger, Loven was no threat whatsoever. We can't afford to be giving him 3 games to 'get into the swing of things'.

No because he offers us an aerial presence and is a danger, Loven was no threat whatsoever. We can't afford to be giving him 3 games to 'get into the swing of things'.

Again, Carroll hasn't been effective at all. Him and Loven have scored as many goals as each other in the last five games, and Lovenkrands has spent most of the time on the bench.

The fact that Carroll offers 'aerial threat' is irrelevant if he keeps fucking missing.

He looked at home in the Championship. Create 3 good chances for him and he'll score 1 and do little else. Problem is, we're no longer in that horrific league. We simply cannot afford a player who's invisible outside the 6 yard box.

If he was Pippo Inzaghi, fair enough. But he's Peter Lovenkrands; a poor player with a poor goal record.

He looked at home in the Championship. Create 3 good chances for him and he'll score 1 and do little else. Problem is, we're no longer in that horrific league. We simply cannot afford a player who's invisible outside the 6 yard box.

If he was Pippo Inzaghi, fair enough. But he's Peter Lovenkrands; a poor player with a poor goal record.

It's clear you've got some grudge against him, and are forming opinion based on seeing him in the SPL etc., which is fair enough.

All I'm saying is that I'm not going to write him off until he's given a proper chance in the PL - he could nosedive spectacularly, but it's unfair to gage opinion based on a handful of appearances this season (which is what, not you, but many on this forum are doing)

Subtracting penalties, his record last season was 10 league goals and 2 assists. I've no idea what that translates to in the PL and I hope we don't have to find out. Hughton at least seems to have this one right, providing starting him today was an experiement that was quickly put right.

This was just not good enough - Wigan murdered us down the left, with N'Zog making Perch look a very poor fullback ; in addition even Williamson was left floundering by his jump for the first goal...Zog is hardly the tallest of players, but he DOES have genuine pace, which no NUFC forward has.

As is usual, there was lots of attempted attacks down our left with Jonas and Enrique trying to play their 2-man band football - Wigan(and other teams will also have cottoned on to this)simply put extra men on that side and snuffed them out ; they were able to do this because they knew we have no attacking strength down our right, where Guthrie constantly drifted inside(and was ineffective anyway)and Perch was terrified of being caught upfield in case Zog left him for dead.

Wigan were far more threatening in the first half(as were Blackpool when we played them at SJP)and deserved their lead - overall, they deserved the points but at least the team kept going and it paid off for Colo.

Agree with Martinez' comment that he couldn't see us scoring from open play, and this has been the same in many games and I do not accept the theory that we are creating good chances, because we aren't.Only

the cross from Jonas, met by Carroll and saved, looked like going in

Difficult to see what can be done, but the team's performances are beginning to make the likes of WBA look like genuine PL sides(look at their results AND, more importantly, the performances)whilst we look increasingly like a relegation side...concede simple goals and fail to create good chances means relegation.

HBA's injury has possibly tipped the club into a genuine relegation scrap because he is the one forward with real skill and a turn of pace.

The next 2 games are even more crucial now and a defeat at home to the Mackems will have the alarm bells ringing right through the club...from top to bottom.

Guest Ridzuan

I hope Perch will never play any more game for us again. If Steven Taylor is fit, he should be playing on the right side or Simpson even. Ive read somewhere that people are complaining about Williamson as well. He is not a bad player. He just had a bad game, but from what ive seen from him so far, he is good enough. Collocini should start in CB along with Willamson/Campbell. Upfront, we need to start playing Shola and Carroll.

From Goal.com:

"

Tim Krul

Couldn't be faulted for either of Wigan's goals and dealt with crosses into the box confidently.

James Perch

Flop of the Match  5.0

Poor performance. Inaccurate with his crosses when he did get forward and was tormented by N'Zogbia throughout. Completely lost the Frenchman for the second goal.

Mike Williamson  5.5

A suspect touch nearly let McCarthy in on goal in the first half and was out-jumped by the much shorter N'Zogbia for the opening goal.

Fabricio Coloccini  6.5

Composed performance, read the play well and good across to disturb Wigan's attacks. An accomplished showing.

José Enrique  6.5

Got forward to good effect and combined well with Gutierrez. Solid in his defensive duties as well.

Danny Guthrie  6.0

Lively performance, some good movement and intelligent passing. Sometimes guilty of failing to track back and cover his fullback. Wasted a free-kick in the second half.

Cheikh Tiote    6.5

Has a good reading of the game, gets himself into good defensive positions and always seems to find the right pass. Robust in the challenge.

Jonás Gutiérrez  6.0

Made a bright start and was Newcastle's main attacking outlet, but struggled to penetrate in the final third and his end product was sporadic.

Joey Barton    5.5

Gave the ball away in the build-up to Wigan's crucial second goal and was at times wasteful with his passing. Didn't get forward enough in support of his attackers.

Peter Lovenkrands 5.5

Largely anonymous in the first half. Had two half chances but couldn't make the most of the opportunities - failed to get a shot off on goal on either ocassion.

Andrew Carroll  6.5

Made a couple of good runs in behind the opposition backline but the pass never reached him. Had the ball in the back of the net but handled it to steal it off Al-Habsi. Missed a late chance.

• Substitutions

Wayne Routledge  6.0

Replaced Guthrie as Newcastle looked to chase the game.

Shola Ameobi 7.0

On for Lovenkrands with half an hour to play and gave Newcastle an extra dimension. Took his header well and troubled the Wigan backline with his movement.

Nile Ranger  N/A

A late introduction in place of Perch. Had no impact."

Somehow, this match reminds me a bit of the Doncaster match of last season in which Nolan scored a very, very late winner. It got us going to a long unbeaten run after a very poor run on the back of two defeats and some draws.

I hope that Colo's goal can have the same impact and will get the lads going for the next games.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

He seems to be getting slower now, that much is clear

Obviously nowhere near the speed he was at Rangers, but I thought he looked quick on some of the highlights I saw (Where he got to the ball ahead of the Wigan defender in the box)

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I still defend Loven to an extent, he does make some good runs and is still quick- Whether we have anyone to pick out these runs is another question, and therefor Shola should be starting alongside Carroll in our next games

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I was thinking about that yesterday, Lovenkrands doesn't suit our style in the Premier League as teams defend against it better. So he has no space to make runs into, and doesn't seem able to make space for others. There were times yesterday when Carroll and Lovenkrands were 30 yards a part, with one or the other seemingly playing as a winger.

We look lost as a team when we can't hoof it up to Carroll, almost as if people have forgot how to play basic pass and move football you learn as a kid.

Didn't have any complaints with the selection tbh. We needed to go 4-4-2 and Carroll/Loven served us relatively well last year. Routledge needed either the hairdryer treatment or dropping, just to remind him that there is competition for his place in the team - he's been garbage thus far. Guthrie was the obvious option but it was a risk that didn't come off.

The most depressing thing is that, like it or not, now Ben Arfa is injured - Jonas is our most dangerous player. And for 89 minutes of the game yesterday they cancelled him out by putting four men on him for the entire game. Wigan countered our best player with ease... fortunately he got away on a couple of occassions and provided the two crucial assists. But better teams will piss all over Jonas for the entirety. It's pretty frightening.

It was an abysmal performance on the whole. It'd be a pisser to have to revert to 4-5-1 again but we do keep possession significantly better. I'd go 4-4-2 against the Mackems with Shola and Carroll upfront.

Fuck we need a striker in January mind. I like Carroll a lot but he's got a lot of pressure on him at the moment... he's not good enough to lead the line every week, and we don't have good enough players to help him out.

Perch was obviously abysmal but i thought Joey Barton took the biscuit. Dreadful performance, he looks fucking shit atm.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Didn't have any complaints with the selection tbh. We needed to go 4-4-2 and Carroll/Loven served us relatively well last year. Routledge needed either the hairdryer treatment or dropping, just to remind him that there is competition for his place in the team - he's been garbage thus far. Guthrie was the obvious option but it was a risk that didn't come off.

The most depressing thing is that, like it or not, now Ben Arfa is injured - Jonas is our most dangerous player. And for 89 minutes of the game yesterday they cancelled him out by putting four men on him for the entire game. Wigan countered our best player with ease... fortunately he got away on a couple of occassions and provided the two crucial assists. But better teams will piss all over Jonas for the entirety. It's pretty frightening.

It was an abysmal performance on the whole. It'd be a pisser to have to revert to 4-5-1 again but we do keep possession significantly better. I'd go 4-4-2 against the Mackems with Shola and Carroll upfront.

f*** we need a striker in January mind. I like Carroll a lot but he's got a lot of pressure on him at the moment... he's not good enough to lead the line every week, and we don't have good enough players to help him out.

Perch was obviously abysmal but i thought Joey Barton took the biscuit. Dreadful performance, he looks f***ing s*** atm.

Like Man City?