Newcastle United 2 - 2 Wigan Athletic - 16/10/10 - post match reaction from p21

Nate

haven't re-watched the game yet but my instant feeling were to question/blame enrique,williamson and perch for the first goal and barton, williamson,perch,krul for the second.

also colo seemed to get a load on his header as it didn't come to him with much pace.

Perch/Williamson definitely for the first, but don't think Krul could have done much for the second. It was his near post, but Zoggy really hit it hard.

That's completely irrelevant. He was beaten at the near post, his error.

Wasn't impressed with Barton at all either. Guthrie wasn't great but I'd rather Barton went off for Routledge and whacked Guthrie in the centre.

I would have done the same, Barton was terrible and gave them the 2nd goal.

Wasn't impressed with Barton at all either. Guthrie wasn't great but I'd rather Barton went off for Routledge and whacked Guthrie in the centre.

I would have done the same, Barton was terrible and gave them the 2nd goal.

neither is ever likely to move forward if they see a gap. in these days of defensive midfielders and attacking midfielders we seem to have cornrerd the market in middle midfielders.

Guest michaelfoster

How anyone can give ratings over 6.5 half today is mental, i cant think of anyone who had a decent game bar Coloccini

haven't re-watched the game yet but my instant feeling were to question/blame enrique,williamson and perch for the first goal and barton, williamson,perch,krul for the second.

also colo seemed to get a load on his header as it didn't come to him with much pace.

Perch/Williamson definitely for the first, but don't think Krul could have done much for the second. It was his near post, but Zoggy really hit it hard.

Rubbish, man. The defenders fault for allowing it to get that far. Add the deflection, there weren't many keepers who would get to that (mainly because the defenders wouldn't have allowed N'Zogbia to get that far).

We've played 4-5-1 all season and when we changed it today we didn't know how to play 4-4-2 but it wasn't helped at all by having Guthrie on the wing and I think that decision has cost us 2 points.  Guthrie struggled in that position last season against lesser teams  so why did we think he'd do better today? 

Krul - 7 - I like how he's always in a hurry to restart play.

Perch - 3 - Awful.

Williamson - 5 - His weakest game for us to date, I think.  Still decent.

Coloccini - 8 - <3

Enrique - 7 - Dallied a lot with Jonas on the left, but put in some good deliveries and as ever was strong defensively.

Guthrie - 5 - Meh

Barton - 4 - Poor.

Tiote - 7 - Beast.

Jonas - 7 - Two assists.  Otherwise frustrating.

Carroll - 5.5 - Didn't do much, but then didn't have many options.

Lovenkrands - 3 - Very poor.

Ameobi - 7 - Looked like a good finish, and worked hard when on.

Routledge - 6 - Better than Guthrie, and improved team shape.

Ranger - N/A - Didn't notice him touch the ball.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

seemed a good height for him aswell.

I'd like to see it again, but I thought it clipped off Williamson's foot changing the flight over Krul's hands. Could be wrong like, and still would have liked to think he'd do better next time out.

How anyone can give ratings over 6.5 half today is mental, i cant think of anyone who had a decent game bar Coloccini

Why would Coloccine get less than 6.5?  He did nothing wrong all day and scored the goal that got us the point.  :lol:

Fantastic player, but Di Santo had so much space, time and freedom on the right. So easy to pass in behind our defence it was untrue. Very shaky, and dare I say poor, performance from our favourite Spaniard.

Rubbish, man. The defenders fault for allowing it to get that far. Add the deflection, there weren't many keepers who would get to that (mainly because the defenders wouldn't have allowed N'Zogbia to get that far).

I quite agree that Barton, Perch and Williamson are equally to blame. But Krul should have done better. And sadly it's becoming a bit of a common theme.

Krul  5

Perch  1

Williamson  5

Coloccini  8

Enrique  6

Guthrie  3

Barton  4

Tiote    6

Jonas  6

Carroll  6

Lovenkrands  3

Shola  7

Routledge  5

Hughton 5

I think we went to this game with the wrong attitute. We looked like we were playing a friendly game in the first half, noone looked really bottered. Neither Perch or Williamson went up for the first goal, which led N'Zogbia going up alone and scoreing. Williamson should atleast have jumped, and Perch should go into the player..  Second goal was a screamer from zoggy, but i think Krul should have taken it, it is his corner... The first half were totaly shite, Hughton got the team and tactics wrong for this game. He did have some good substitutions though. If i were hughton I would have taken Løvenkrands and Perch off in the first half, or in the half time break.

Perch, Løvenkrands, Guthrie and Routledge is to lightweighted for me, they are not suited for the premiership. I think Perch is looking worse for every game he played. Did Guthrie work defensivly??  Løvenkrands has lots of speed in him but never uses it, he isnt a Striker and he isnt a Winger, I think it was wrong to sign him again... Routledge isnt made for the premiership, maybe we should try him as a striker? -Make him the new Bellamy...

We also need someone to take our freekicks, and we have to stop chipping the ball into the box from the freekicks...

Krul   5

Perch   1

Williamson   5

Coloccini   8

Enrique   6

Guthrie   3

Barton   4

Tiote    6

Jonas   6

Carroll   6

Lovenkrands   3

Shola   7

Routledge   5

Hughton 5

I think we went to this game with the wrong attitute. We looked like we were playing a friendly game in the first half, noone looked really bottered. Neither Perch or Williamson went up for the first goal, which led N'Zogbia going up alone and scoreing. Williamson should atleast have jumped, and Perch should go into the player..  Second goal was a screamer from zoggy, but i think Krul should have taken it, it is his corner... The first half were totaly s****, Hughton got the team and tactics wrong for this game. He did have some good substitutions though. If i were hughton I would have taken Løvenkrands and Perch off in the first half, or in the half time break.

Perch, Løvenkrands, Guthrie and Routledge is to lightweighted for me, they are not suited for the premiership. I think Perch is looking worse for every game he played. Did Guthrie work defensivly??  Løvenkrands has lots of speed in him but never uses it, he isnt a Striker and he isnt a Winger, I think it was wrong to sign him again... Routledge isnt made for the premiership, maybe we should try him as a striker? -Make him the new Bellamy...

We also need someone to take our freekicks, and we have to stop chipping the ball into the box from the freekicks...

Routledge coming on changed the game because he was a threat and he should have started.

Guest michaelfoster

Why would Coloccine get less than 6.5?  He did nothing wrong all day and scored the goal that got us the point.  :lol:

Tbh it was a poor team effort for 70 mins

Krul   5

Perch   1

Williamson   5

Coloccini   8

Enrique   6

Guthrie   3

Barton   4

Tiote    6

Jonas   6

Carroll   6

Lovenkrands   3

Shola   7

Routledge   5

Hughton 5

I think we went to this game with the wrong attitute. We looked like we were playing a friendly game in the first half, noone looked really bottered. Neither Perch or Williamson went up for the first goal, which led N'Zogbia going up alone and scoreing. Williamson should atleast have jumped, and Perch should go into the player..  Second goal was a screamer from zoggy, but i think Krul should have taken it, it is his corner... The first half were totaly s****, Hughton got the team and tactics wrong for this game. He did have some good substitutions though. If i were hughton I would have taken Løvenkrands and Perch off in the first half, or in the half time break.

Routledge coming on changed the game because he was a threat and he should have started.

true to a point, we were always going to push on more as the game went on.

Barton for the second.

Krul   5

Perch   1

Williamson   5

Coloccini   8

Enrique   6

Guthrie   3

Barton   4

Tiote    6

Jonas   6

Carroll   6

Lovenkrands   3

Shola   7

Routledge   5

Hughton 5

true to a point, we were always going to push on more as the game went on.

What did Routledge acyually do? he hardly touched the ball.

He ran at the Wigan defence and gave them something to worry about down our right.  As soon as he came on the left-back had to defend unlike before that when he could push up.  Routledge offered us a balance that we hadn't had before he came on and he widened the play by offering himself for the ball out wide.

Guest JamesyJazz

Really made up for Collo getting his first goal at home and more importantly an important equaliser.I've always said/written that he is a class CB no matter what the chattering classes may say.

I will admit though that Perch is not the RB for us,just now.His confidence is shot to pieces and it shows.I've defended him in the past,as I have with Collo, and I'm still under the impression that he will improve and in time we will all see the player that he has the potential to be.In the meantime I would prefer to see R.Taylor get the nod ahead of Perch and Simpson.

We did well to come back from 2-0 down,credit to the lads for giving it their all.Two seasons ago we wouldn't have grafted to clawback a point in the way we did today.

We need a decent supply of crosses from the wings to get the best out of this team but its just all too sporadic at present,Jonas either has to start on the right or play more centrally,he just doesn't have a left cross in his game.

He ran at the Wigan defence and gave them something to worry about down our right.  As soon as he came on the left-back had to defend unlike before that when he could push up.  Routledge offered us a balance that we hadn't had before he came on and he widened the play by offering himself for the ball out wide.

except for the last 10mins when we played with both our wingers on the right.

Guest neesy111

We've played 4-5-1 all season and when we changed it today we didn't know how to play 4-4-2 but it wasn't helped at all by having Guthrie on the wing and I think that decision has cost us 2 points.  Guthrie struggled in that position last season against lesser teams  so why did we think he'd do better today? 

Our players not being able to play in different formations etc is worrying, cos we need to be able to adapt to playing against different teams etc.

Guest Chris P

except for the last 10mins when we played with both our wingers on the right.

howay. Jonas appeared there for about 10 seconds