Newcastle United 2 - 2 Wigan Athletic - 16/10/10 - post match reaction from p21

Nate

Guest Roger Kint

Gave up at half time, did Jonas actually bother his arse in the second half? Him and Loven were terrible and as for Perch..........

Seemed like only Colo and Tiote gave a shit in the first half, maybe Jose too.

Didn't have any complaints with the selection tbh. We needed to go 4-4-2 and Carroll/Loven served us relatively well last year. Routledge needed either the hairdryer treatment or dropping, just to remind him that there is competition for his place in the team - he's been garbage thus far. Guthrie was the obvious option but it was a risk that didn't come off.

The most depressing thing is that, like it or not, now Ben Arfa is injured - Jonas is our most dangerous player. And for 89 minutes of the game yesterday they cancelled him out by putting four men on him for the entire game. Wigan countered our best player with ease... fortunately he got away on a couple of occassions and provided the two crucial assists. But better teams will piss all over Jonas for the entirety. It's pretty frightening.

It was an abysmal performance on the whole. It'd be a pisser to have to revert to 4-5-1 again but we do keep possession significantly better. I'd go 4-4-2 against the Mackems with Shola and Carroll upfront.

f*** we need a striker in January mind. I like Carroll a lot but he's got a lot of pressure on him at the moment... he's not good enough to lead the line every week, and we don't have good enough players to help him out.

Perch was obviously abysmal but i thought Joey Barton took the biscuit. Dreadful performance, he looks f***ing s*** atm.

Like Man City?

I could very well be speaking absolute shit here, but it actually seems to me that Jonas actually rises to the occasion against the better teams and puts in a decent shift, but seems to be extremely inconsistent against the poorer teams, putting in a poor performance more often than not.

Gave up at half time, did Jonas actually bother his arse in the second half? Him and Loven were terrible and as for Perch..........

Seemed like only Colo and Tiote gave a shit in the first half, maybe Jose too.

Given that he got both assists in the second half, what?

(effectively both, anyway)

Seemed like only Colo and Tiote gave a s*** in the first half, maybe Jose too.

'I think that *insert jonas/williamson/krul etc*' is dreadful and should get his act together. The guy got 2 assists in an otherwise poor team performance? Dont get where ppl come from with this at times. The likes of perch and lovenkrands are out of their depth at this level. Jonas is the last thing should moan about

Somehow, this match reminds me a bit of the Doncaster match of last season in which Nolan scored a very, very late winner. It got us going to a long unbeaten run after a very poor run on the back of two defeats and some draws.

I hope that Colo's goal can have the same impact and will get the lads going for the next games.

I was thinking this last night. WEe'd stuttered and lost to Scunny and Forest prior to it.

The most depressing thing is that, like it or not, now Ben Arfa is injured - Jonas is our most dangerous player. And for 89 minutes of the game yesterday they cancelled him out by putting four men on him for the entire game. Wigan countered our best player with ease... fortunately he got away on a couple of occassions and provided the two crucial assists. But better teams will piss all over Jonas for the entirety. It's pretty frightening.

Wigan started with a RB in RM though to counter Jose and Jonas though and not many teams will do that.

-------

Seems to me Perch has been told to stop tackling after he picked up all those yellows. He was just inviting N'Zogbia on to us all the time by jockeying him. Needs to be dropped asap, his confidence looks shot and the fans are starting to get at him.

Aye, I thought Wigan's tactics in the second half were dreadful, and the referee did quite well to handle some of them (except the added time like)

Players were going down like they'd been shot, Mccarthy feigned a throat 'strangling' to try and get Tiote a second yellow and they took an absolute age over set pieces and substitutions.

Glad we stopped them from get three points. Horrible, horrible club.

Guest Roger Kint

'I think that *insert jonas/williamson/krul etc*' is dreadful and should get his act together. The guy got 2 assists in an otherwise poor team performance? Dont get where ppl come from with this at times. The likes of perch and lovenkrands are out of their depth at this level. Jonas is the last thing should moan about

Is it really that hard to read the first 5 words of my post? He was shit first half as were most, where is the confusion?

The match yesterday reminded me of a typical FM game (if you were managing Wigan). 2-0 up and cruising, then you concede twice in the last 20 mins, resulting in you wanting to break the computer screen

Thought we got it wrong with the 442 and I, like many others, wanted to see this at home.

Lovenkrands, much as I like the guy, had zero impact anywhere and were were totally over ran in midfield in the first half. I'd have had him straight off, pushed Guthrie in and brought on Routledge for a 5 man midfield.

I like Guthrie but I'm now convinced he has to either be central or on the bench.

Barton has been a key player so far and it's probably no coincidence that our worst performance was when he didn't play well.

Positives where due, and to go 2-0 down early on to Wigan is a horrible situation to be in. They have a lot of talented players who can really do you when you're pushing on. We could have been hammered in that situation but we came away with an unlikely point, so credit to the players for that.

Our support was crap, this"fantastic Geordie support" and "12th man" rubbish is a total myth and has been for years.

Mark Halsey actually looked quite decent by present day English refereeing standards.

Thought we got it wrong with the 442 and I, like many others, wanted to see this at home.

Lovenkrands, much as I like the guy, had zero impact anywhere and were were totally over ran in midfield in the first half. I'd have had him straight off, pushed Guthrie in and brought on Routledge for a 5 man midfield.

I like Guthrie but I'm now convinced he has to either be central or on the bench.

Barton has been a key player so far and it's probably no coincidence that our worst performance was when he didn't play well.

Positives where due, and to go 2-0 down early on to Wigan is a horrible situation to be in. They have a lot of talented players who can really do you when you're pushing on. We could have been hammered in that situation but we came away with an unlikely point, so credit to the players for that.

Our support was crap, this"fantastic Geordie support" and "12th man" rubbish is a total myth and has been for years.

Mark Halsey actually looked quite decent by present day English refereeing standards.

Agree with the player analysis but harsh to criticise the support. We still turned out one of the biggest crowds of the day despite having nothing to cheer about as usual.

We forget that many of the players who last won a domestic trophy for this club are probably pushing up the daisies now.

Would Liverpool or ManU be drawing support like that with such a horrific trophy return. I doubt it,

Leave the fan bashing to our rivals I say.

The fans do well to turn up in such numbers, no doubt, but they deserve criticism for the way they turned on their own team so quickly yesterday.

I was embarrassed to be amongst it TBH, we really need to get behind the team when things aren't going well.

The fans do well to turn up in such numbers, no doubt, but they deserve criticism for the way they turned on their own team so quickly yesterday.

I was embarrassed to be amongst it TBH, we really need to get behind the team when things aren't going well.

Its just the way all football fans are these days.

Man U got booed off yesterday. That's embarassing.

We are far too easy to play against at home.  We don't have anyone in midfield who can go past a couple of players and break the shape of the opposition.

As soon as we won the ball Wigan closed down the ball quickly and held 2 strong lines. We didn't have a clue how to play against them. Our passing was sideways or backwards and several times went straight to a Wigan player. Meanwhile their players were collecting the ball with 5 yards of space to play in.

We were very poor in the first half.

Lovenkrands doesn't link well with the midfield, so we're relying on him getting on the end of flick-ons from Carroll (which is a crude tactic that doesn't work at this level) and getting on the end of chances in the box (which he will occasionally do, but his finishing isn't that good)

Routledge again doesn't look up to it, and I'd give a chance to Ranger wide right. Not ideal, but the better option.

With the first goal, I think it's the third occasion we've been caught out by a simple cross to Perch's back post. On this occasion, Williamson came away looking bad, but it was really Perch's ball and he should have called for it. Williamson ended up trying to head it moving backwards. Perch just doesn't assert himself enough.

We are far too easy to play against at home.  We don't have anyone in midfield who can go past a couple of players and break the shape of the opposition.

As soon as we won the ball Wigan closed down the ball quickly and held 2 strong lines. We didn't have a clue how to play against them. Our passing was sideways or backwards and several times went straight to a Wigan player. Meanwhile their players were collecting the ball with 5 yards of space to play in.

We were very poor in the first half.

Very true - all the midfield apart from Tiote(who is a DM anyway)are below PL standard ; Barton lacks pace and fitness; he is also prone to sideways passing...Nolan..least said, soonest mended...Guthrie - mediocre

player who is useless unless played in CM...Jonas offers effort and runs at opposition but has no end product and Routledge has failed to impress at 2 other PL clubs.

In short, we lack class and even Blackpool have a player(Adam)with more ability ; add that to weaknesses at RB and up front and you can see why we are going to struggle soon.

A result against both WHU and Mackems is vital or the fun will start.

Finally seen highlights of the match. The first goal is quite embarrassing for Williamson. I just can't see what prevented him from clearing it out. It's an egregious error, but I'll trust that he can recover after being pretty consistent for us. For the second goal, Barton did poorly to lose the ball after being put in a rather poor position by his teammates, but it's a great goal by Charles. There's little you can do. You'd question where the hell Perch was, but it likely he was providing support up the field, especially as we were already down a goal.

I think Carroll could have been sent off for his handball in the box, btw. Very deliberate and blatant attempt to fool the referee. Stupid action from him.

Just watched the game again on the TV here, the people complaining about Jonas need their eyes checked, I mean every time he got ball he had at least 2-3 Wigan players around him with nobody making any runs for him to pass it to, there wasn't really much he could do. All in all it was crap from Newcastle I thought Wigan weren't that good overall but we were worse, lucky to get away with a point really. I think also Hughton needs to take the blame for putting out a team that was totally unbalanced in our formation. By the way does anybody else thinks Ameobi has slimmed down?. I always thought he was a lot bulkier last season.

Finally seen highlights of the match. The first goal is quite embarrassing for Williamson. I just can't see what prevented him from clearing it out. It's an egregious error, but I'll trust that he can recover after being pretty consistent for us. For the second goal, Barton did poorly to lose the ball after being put in a rather poor position by his teammates, but it's a great goal by Charles. There's little you can do. You'd question where the hell Perch was, but it likely he was providing support up the field, especially as we were already down a goal.

I think Carroll could have been sent off for his handball in the box, btw. Very deliberate and blatant attempt to fool the referee. Stupid action from him.

http://img.youtube.com/vi/WVk8LShtpg8/0.jpg

Is it really that hard to read the first 5 words of my post? He was shit first half as were most, where is the confusion?

Ah right, my bad.

http://img.youtube.com/vi/WVk8LShtpg8/0.jpg

:lol: read my mind :lol: