West Ham Utd vs Newcastle United Pre-match thread 23/10/10 5:30pm *Live on Sky*

joeyt

I am unconvinced that Ranger is a better choice than Routeledge. As has been mentioned before: this switch seems to be overly optimistic.

I'm unconvinced too, but as I've had pretty conclusive proof that Routledge has lost all confidence (if he had any to begin with), I can't see how Ranger could be any worse. At the very least, he'll win something in the air and provide some extra height at set-pieces.

Routledge has been a complete non-event.

Ranger also gives away the ball in dangerous areas playing out wide, and is sloppy in possession, based on the Chelsea game.

Difference is, I'm not basing my view of Routledge over one or two (Accrington) games, he's been anonymous all season.

No he hasn't though. He's been poor from the Stoke game onwards, fair enough. But then so has Andy Carroll - do you want him to be dropped for Lovenkrands?

Routledge has been poor since the Wolves game.

Guest neesy111

I'd say Jonas is a lot more effective than Routledge at this time, and this is coming from some-one who openly criticised Jonas earlier in the season.

Routledge is doing exactly what he did with Spurs and Villa in this division, which is a huge worry.

You could easily argue the same about Carroll, as it happens. But Routledge played well against Everton.

I agree about Carroll but it was Routledge who was being discussed so didn't feel the need to mention him. Routledge didn't play well against Everton though.

I'd say Jonas is a lot more effective than Routledge at this time, and this is coming from some-one who openly criticised Jonas earlier in the season.

Routledge is doing exactly what he did with Spurs and Villa in this division, which is a huge worry.

5 games at spurs, 2 at villa.

pompey and fulham are better examples where he started off well then died away.

Guest Heneage

I think Jonas is saved a lot by the work of Enrique, he's the better player, but the interplay and link up a good fullback provides can really help, it was highlighted by the second goal against us at Old Trafford.

Jonas and Enrique are easily our best players thus far this season imo. There the only ones who seem able to create anything at all. We need a more balanced team though as opposition teams can see this defend their right side and attack our right which is poor to say the least. We need more creativity down our right (and center midfield) as well as better RB defensive options.

Colo, Willy, Shola, Sol and Tiote also looking good thus far.

Carroll and Barton disapointingly have gone off the boil after good starts.

Routledge, Perch, Lovenkrands, Nolan, Smith all piss poor. We need a vast improvement in personel here.

Jonas and Enrique are easily our best players thus far this season imo. There the only ones who seem able to create anything at all. We need a more balanced team though as opposition teams can see this defend their right side and attack our right which is poor to say the least. We need more creativity down our right (and center midfield) as well as better RB defensive options.

Colo, Willy, Shola, Sol and Tiote also looking good thus far.

Carroll and Barton disapointingly have gone off the boil after good starts.

Routledge, Perch, Lovenkrands, Nolan, Smith all piss poor. We need a vast improvement in personel here.

Jonas has not been of of our 2 best performers.

I don't understand those that do not rate Jonas. He works hard, plays well, tracks back well to help out Enrique whom he links up very well with and is our only real creative outlet which puts even more pressure on him. He's a good player. He'd be even better if he had more decent players to play with and if we had a more attacking threat down our right hand side.

I don't understand those that do not rate Jonas. He works hard, plays well, tracks back well to help out Enrique whom he links up very well with and is our only real creative outlet which puts even more pressure on him. He's a good player. He'd be even better if he had more decent players to play with and if we had a more attacking threat down our right hand side.

Exactly, we're not a team that's in a position to start criticising players like Jonas.

IMO you can criticise whoever you want, whenever you want. It's however a case of being rational in what you're saying and being proportionate. From what I've seen of Jonas, he does work hard yes, and goes on a few good runs, but equally he is rightly criticised for a consistently poor end product. Surely it is all about giving praise where praise is due, as well as discussing a player's weaknesses?

Guest neesy111

IMO you can criticise whoever you want, whenever you want. It's however a case of being rational in what you're saying and being proportionate. From what I've seen of Jonas, he does work hard yes, and goes on a few good runs, but equally he is rightly criticised for a consistently poor end product. Surely it is all about giving praise where praise is due, as well as discussing a player's weaknesses?

Agreed, I've criticised him the past for his lack of a final delivery, but praised him for his last two performances.