Wayne Rooney

SEMTEX

Mourinho was just interviewed by swedish telly and his response to the question whether or not he would like to have Rooney in his team was class. He started smiling and simply said that he believes Rooney will sign a new contract extension with Manchester United and he'll end his career there. And then he left, still smiling in an odd way... Who knows what that means!

He is laughing like the rest of the football world.

I like this one

Pre-Glazers, we would have all believed 100% that SAF was capable of turning the team/club around against any odds because he had the resources to do so. That's not the case anymore and one of the greatest managers of all time is going to leave the club at one of it's lower points after giving us the highest highs. He's not got many years left, and with the current squad and an inability to add to it, there's no way we can stay competitive domestically let alone in Europe.

Unfortunately by wholeheartedly accepting the Glazers and even backing them, we can't seperate the possibility that SAF has contributed to both the big picture of our demise, and alongside it possibly this Rooney situation which further contributes to our impending mediocrity - which is hurtful all the more because he's given us arguably our highest highs (the manager) and taken us to being one of Europes top clubs, not just by romance/reputation but also on the pitch and we're dropping back out of that league, almost back to where we were in the 80's and sadly where Liverpool are, big club with a great history but not really in the mixer when it comes to major trophies

It's not as simple as me/manchester united vs the individual anymore unfortunately, as what Manchester United stands for now is defined by it's ownership and what that is doing to the club, and for some of us it's harder and harder to get behind that when what's happening to the club is hard to swallow - and that's not just on the pitch.

None of can truly understand what affect that is/isn't having on this particular situation - blaming the player is short sighted, as is putting the blame at the feet of the manager - but ignoring the possibility, even probability that it's a major contributing factor to us losing top players before their sell-by date and absolving the manager of any blame at all is just complete and utter head in the sand stupidity.

Mourinho was just interviewed by swedish telly and his response to the question whether or not he would like to have Rooney in his team was class. He started smiling and simply said that he believes Rooney will sign a new contract extension with Manchester United and he'll end his career there. And then he left, still smiling in an odd way... Who knows what that means!

Just seen his interview on SKY. Said he thinks he'll stay but was massively hinting that he'd want to sign him if he did leave.

I like this one

Pre-Glazers, we would have all believed 100% that SAF was capable of turning the team/club around against any odds because he had the resources to do so. That's not the case anymore and one of the greatest managers of all time is going to leave the club at one of it's lower points after giving us the highest highs. He's not got many years left, and with the current squad and an inability to add to it, there's no way we can stay competitive domestically let alone in Europe.

Unfortunately by wholeheartedly accepting the Glazers and even backing them, we can't seperate the possibility that SAF has contributed to both the big picture of our demise, and alongside it possibly this Rooney situation which further contributes to our impending mediocrity - which is hurtful all the more because he's given us arguably our highest highs (the manager) and taken us to being one of Europes top clubs, not just by romance/reputation but also on the pitch and we're dropping back out of that league, almost back to where we were in the 80's and sadly where Liverpool are, big club with a great history but not really in the mixer when it comes to major trophies

It's not as simple as me/manchester united vs the individual anymore unfortunately, as what Manchester United stands for now is defined by it's ownership and what that is doing to the club, and for some of us it's harder and harder to get behind that when what's happening to the club is hard to swallow - and that's not just on the pitch.

None of can truly understand what affect that is/isn't having on this particular situation - blaming the player is short sighted, as is putting the blame at the feet of the manager - but ignoring the possibility, even probability that it's a major contributing factor to us losing top players before their sell-by date and absolving the manager of any blame at all is just complete and utter head in the sand stupidity.

Scouser-esque that.

This is amazing, though i think man u will be one of the top clubs for a few years yet this could be the start of their eventual slide in to mediocrety if they dont replace Fergie with the right person it could be difficult for them. Can you imagine football in this country where neither man u or Liverpool are one of the top teams, it goes to show that football is based on luck, luck that you get the right owners who can give a manager plenty of money to spend and run the club well and luck that the owner knows what to do when he has to make the tough footballing decisions aswell as the financial ones luck that you have the right manager and luck that he willbring in the right players and luck that they will perform. All any fan can do is hope.

Hope he invokes the Webster ruling or at least threatens to and gets the price in Jan down to about 20 million. I'm sure Citeh could slip him ten million offshore in return for his cooperation.

The bridges seem beyond repair, so the only question is how much ManUre will get for him. I hope its not very much.

Personally I think Rooney's strung them along, esp with all those "finish my career here" quotes six months ago. He's not as stupid as he looks.

Maybe, but perhaps ManUre's ability to attract Mourinho may not be as great as some of their fans wish to believe.

With the Glazers' debt and losing players like Ronaldo and Rooney, you'd have to say the club is in decline.

Maybe, but perhaps ManUre's ability to attract Mourinho may not be as great as some of their fans wish to believe.

With the Glazers' debt and losing players like Ronaldo and Rooney, you'd have to say the club is in decline.

Maybe to the contrary, resurecting a club in decline would be a far greater challenge and acheivement for Mourinho, as opposed to taking on a club thats ontop, anything less than a continuation of the latter, meaning trophies and cup finals, would be regarded as failure. The Special One woudlnt want to just be Fergie's replacement, he'd want to do something Ferguson maybe couldnt; stop the club going into decline.

Man U are losing out at the moment to clubs like Chelsea, Man City and Real, who are being heavily subsidised from outside. However, if the new rules are effective, then they should have an advantage again, because of their ability to generate their own income.

Rumours of their demise are probably premature, and if Rooney thinks that the future looks brighter elsewhere, he may end up losing out.

Money could well be the main factor. It's interesting that in leaving Everton, Rooney felt the need to construct some story about falling out with Moyes, and was successfully sued for libel as a result.

What bothers me as an England supporter is Rooney's loss of form, which can't be a coincidence. That suggests that, deep down, he's not nearly as positive and confident about leaving Man U as he is pretending to be. Other players may be okay just going wherever the big money is, but that may not be right for him. I suspect Fergie is right in saying that the club have offered him a lot of protection, and of course moving from Liverpool to Manchester was never going to involve a big adjustment to his lifestyle.

There is intense interest among footballers in the wages of their peers. It is hard to underestimate the effect that the extraordinary salary City agreed with Yaya Touré, the Ivorian midfielder signed from Barcelona in the summer, has had on the expectations of the best players in the game. It raised the bar dramatically and it was paid to a player whom no one would consider as among the most sought-after players in the world.

And this is whats wrong with football. 

Seriosuly this stupid greedy bastards are going to ruin the game for people and ruin it for themselves.

This is what happened in the NHL, salaries were insane and the owners could no longer cope.

Time for a salary cap.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

did i hear rightly that scholes cabbaged rooney's ankle in training yesterday and he left the training ground on crutches?

i work with a man united fan and he reckons that's the word on the grapevine

Andy Gray Cheeky laugh: Oh, he's never been good at tackling, the little scamp.