Wayne Rooney

SEMTEX

I'll never quite understand how or why people criticise players for leaving for money.  If I was Rooney and was acknowledged as being one of the top 10 players in the world and saw other such players being paid double what I was, I would want parity with them (see Messi, Ronaldo, Ibrahimovic's wage for example).  It's the same in any job - if you are not paid the market rate for your skills, you are bound to be unhappy.  I would be pretty annoyed if someone as good as me was being paid double my salary.

People just seem to apply a different set of rules to footballers and I can't work out why.  Football is a job to most footballers.  End of.

Because its generally unrealistic.   He should have some f***ing common sense and realise that Ya Ya Toure is on over the top wages because they are backed by lunatic arabs.

No f***ing player is worth 200k plus a weel.  No one.

Very few clubs can pay the overinflated prices for players, no matter how good they are.

I bet Man U offered him a fair wedge.

THis is exactly whats wrong with football, its all about earnings amongst the players rather then the sport itself.

I can just picture the England camp now after losng to Germany, all sittign about smoking cigars bemoaning their wages.

f*** off you greedy c***s, you have a repsosibility towards the game yourselves.

Rooney has won every trophy there is to win in the domestic game apart from the League Cup, which he's probably not arsed about anyway.

A move to Man City will probably guarantee him more trophies than he's likely to win at Man Utd over the next 7-8 years, as well as a shitload of cash.

Add to that the prospect of playing in front of proper football fans instead of plastic cockney wankers and it seems like a no-brainer to me.

Man City... Proper fans? :dowie:

They've always had decent fans rbf

I don't even think they sold out against Juventus a few weeks back in a european game

Sitting here reading this thread with the chancellor Osborne making his speech on the radio saying how the country has run out of money and we have all got to take the pain together.

Its surreal

Exactly - footballers will feel the pain if fans stop going to games because they are too busy paying fuel bills etc. It WILL happen, don't think it couldn't....

It's all about negotiation, though, isn't it? You're "worth" whatever you are able to negotiate for yourself. Rooney's got an extremely good hand, and now he's playing it to cash in on others' willingness and ability to pay up. The sums are ludicrous. But really they've been ludicrous in football for a long time now. The behaviour is mercenary and ruthless, but clubs are every bit as capable of that as players and their agents.

All the Man Utd fans saying he is ungrateful because they made him the player he is. They said the sam about Ronaldo, its rubbish, don't get me wrong Man Utd helped them massively but it is at nthe end of the day the players who put the work in to become world class.

Do you think Rooney would be what he is today had he came to us in 2004?

All the Man Utd fans saying he is ungrateful because they made him the player he is. They said the sam about Ronaldo, its rubbish, don't get me wrong Man Utd helped them massively but it is at nthe end of the day the players who put the work in to become world class.

Do you think Rooney would be what he is today had he came to us in 2004?

Sulky, money-grabbing, playing without any heart? Hmm...

I'll never quite understand how or why people criticise players for leaving for money.  If I was Rooney and was acknowledged as being one of the top 10 players in the world and saw other such players being paid double what I was, I would want parity with them (see Messi, Ronaldo, Ibrahimovic's wage for example).  It's the same in any job - if you are not paid the market rate for your skills, you are bound to be unhappy.  I would be pretty annoyed if someone as good as me was being paid double my salary.

People just seem to apply a different set of rules to footballers and I can't work out why.  Football is a job to most footballers.  End of.

Because its generally unrealistic.   He should have some f***ing common sense and realise that Ya Ya Toure is on over the top wages because they are backed by lunatic arabs.

Very few clubs can pay the overinflated prices for players, no matter how good they are.

THis is exactly whats wrong with football, its all about earnings amongst the players rather then the sport itself.

I can just picture the England camp now after losng to Germany, all sittign about smoking cigars bemoaning their wages.

f*** off you greedy c***s, you have a repsosibility towards the game yourselves.

Rooney has won every trophy there is to win in the domestic game apart from the League Cup, which he's probably not arsed about anyway.

A move to Man City will probably guarantee him more trophies than he's likely to win at Man Utd over the next 7-8 years, as well as a shitload of cash.

Add to that the prospect of playing in front of proper football fans instead of plastic cockney wankers and it seems like a no-brainer to me.

I don't even think they sold out against Juventus a few weeks back in a european game

we wouldnt sell out a group stage waffa game either.

We would if we had their players.

If our ground's capacity was 35,000 and we had a team on the up like Manchester City's, we'd easily sell-out against Juventus.

If our ground's capacity was 35,000 and we had a team on the up like Manchester City's, we'd easily sell-out against Juventus.

but there stadium is 47k?

Guest neesy111

We sold out 52k in 2002 against them.  30k for a friendly in 1998 (Didi Hamann scored an absolute beast of a goal).

but there stadium is 47k?

Was meant to say 45,000. Fact is, we'd easily sell out, as we have done in the past.

I just don't get that.  We live in a free market, where people are paid what they are worth. 

Who are you to say no footballer is worth 200k a week?  Are film stars 'worth' £10 million a film?  Are pop stars worth £4 million an album (plucking these figures out of the air now...)?  Are F1 drivers worth £20 million a year?  Are basketball players worth £20 million a year?  Do you think the above are all sitting there doing it for the love of cinema/music/ sport?  No... and why should they?

Football is a global business.  This whole idea that footballers shouldn't be allowed to maximise their earnings is outdated and overly simplistic.

No footballer is worth 200k a week, f*** me man, the game will seriously suffer if this is the s*** thats happening with players an agents.

The clubs, the owners of the clubs, the players/ players union/TV all have a collective responsibility to keep the league competitive.

Paying greedy one track minded footballers 200k a week is not one of the ways to do this.

Whats going to happen when UEFA enforce the new rules?  How will Man City and other funded clubs like themselves resolve rediculous wage structures?

Dont just sit and think "this is great its man citys turn now".  It not great for the league as a whole, it will turn fans away.

Who is to say the next TV deal with Sky wont be less ??  We have massive cuts and peopel losing jobs coming up.

f***ing thinking about it for a second man.

I have 'fucking' thought about it.  What I don't understand is your view that players shouldn't be paid what they are worth in the market.  Wages are, like it or not, affected by whatever clubs are willing to pay.  If clubs don't think Rooney is worth 200k a week - they won't pay him 200k a week and Rooney will have to be happy with whatever Man United are willing to offer him.

I also still don't understand why you think football should any different from certain other entertainment industries?  Football is an entertainment industry.  When people think football costs too much, people will stop going and then revenues will fall.  Then there will be a realignment of wages etc etc.  It is the nature of most, if not all, economic cycles.

And quite why players should have any sense of moral obligation not to be paid as much as they want is beyond me.    The players don't owe the fans any sense of moral obligation.  They are employees of the club and perfectly entitled to negotiate a contract in any fashion they wish.

Showbusiness talent are actually not nearly as well paid compared to the total production cost as they were 10 years ago (salaries aren't lower, just they haven't risen as much as the average production cost has ballooned). It's becoming more common for them to get a share of the profits, though.

(It's my area of expertise  :blush:)

Again - an example of how the showbusiness market is currently working.  In 10 years time, they might be earning more or they might be earning less.  It will simply be a calculation of what the market thinks they should be earning.

Maybe football will go the same way and salaries will start to be linked to the financial performance of the club...

It's not a 'market' in the traditional sense though, is it really? The forces in it (i.e. the clubs) are unsustainable businesses that are being propped up by mega-rich owners.

In a normal marketplace they would have had to control wages or would have gone bust. This is why allowing a few clubs to operate at massive losses is so unfair on the rest.

We would have before all the shit happened at the club, jesus christ man only a couple years ago we got pretty much similar crowds to there Juventus match in a friendly, and we're suppasing them last year against the arse-end of the Championship.

I just don't get that.  We live in a free market, where people are paid what they are worth. 

Who are you to say no footballer is worth 200k a week?  Are film stars 'worth' £10 million a film?  Are pop stars worth £4 million an album (plucking these figures out of the air now...)?  Are F1 drivers worth £20 million a year?  Are basketball players worth £20 million a year?  Do you think the above are all sitting there doing it for the love of cinema/music/ sport?  No... and why should they?

Football is a global business.  This whole idea that footballers shouldn't be allowed to maximise their earnings is outdated and overly simplistic.

No footballer is worth 200k a week, f*** me man, the game will seriously suffer if this is the s*** thats happening with players an agents.

The clubs, the owners of the clubs, the players/ players union/TV all have a collective responsibility to keep the league competitive.

Paying greedy one track minded footballers 200k a week is not one of the ways to do this.

Whats going to happen when UEFA enforce the new rules?  How will Man City and other funded clubs like themselves resolve rediculous wage structures?

Dont just sit and think "this is great its man citys turn now".  It not great for the league as a whole, it will turn fans away.

Who is to say the next TV deal with Sky wont be less ??  We have massive cuts and peopel losing jobs coming up.

f***ing thinking about it for a second man.

I have 'f***ing' thought about it.  What I don't understand is your view that players shouldn't be paid what they are worth in the market.  Wages are, like it or not, affected by whatever clubs are willing to pay.  If clubs don't think Rooney is worth 200k a week - they won't pay him 200k a week and Rooney will have to be happy with whatever Man United are willing to offer him.

I also still don't understand why you think football should any different from certain other entertainment industries?  Football is an entertainment industry.  When people think football costs too much, people will stop going and then revenues will fall.  Then there will be a realignment of wages etc etc.  It is the nature of most, if not all, economic cycles.

And quite why players should have any sense of moral obligation not to be paid as much as they want is beyond me.    The players don't owe the fans any sense of moral obligation.  They are employees of the club and perfectly entitled to negotiate a contract in any fashion they wish.

For the sake of a competitive league a grip on wages is the best thing,  Rooney or any other footballer is not worth 200k a week.  Stop kidding yourself.

This stupid wage is down to crazy billionaires breaking the transfer market and pay over the odds for average players.

Milner, howay man.

Man City are paying way way above market value for these players in transfers and paying them in wages way way way above the market value.

This then has a masive knock on effect to other players then thinking its the norm to earn a massive wage.

Man City are paying for transfers and salaries way over the market value to take a short cut to the top.

I see your point - but the hypothetical company wouldn't go bust if the same hypothetical rich owner was supporting it.  It would be exactly the same situation we have now.

I suppose Chelsea is a good example.  I don't have their latest financial figures to hand, but I assume that they are now closer to having a sustainable business model than they did 4 years ago.  So... Roman invested money to propel Chelsea to a situation whereby they could start to run themselves properly.  The only way to do this was to invest heavily and take heavy losses on the chin, until they could become a club that broke even.  That is a perfectly legitimate way to run a business.  There aren't any regulations stopping you doing that in business.

But we can leave it there.  I sense I am fighting a lone battle.

I see your point - but the hypothetical company wouldn't go bust if the same hypothetical rich owner was supporting it.  It would be exactly the same situation we have now.

I suppose Chelsea is a good example.  I don't have their latest financial figures to hand, but I assume that they are now closer to having a sustainable business model than they did 4 years ago.  So... Roman invested money to propel Chelsea to a situation whereby they could start to run themselves properly.  The only way to do this was to invest heavily and take heavy losses on the chin, until they could become a club that broke even.  That is a perfectly legitimate way to run a business.  There aren't any regulations stopping you doing that in business.

Nah, I do agree with you there. Many businesses make losses that are absorbed by the owners until they are profitable.

Suppose there are a few questions - whether in a competitive sport we want a level playing field, and whether Chelsea is just an exception based on the fact they happened to achieve league titles quickly and can charge a small fortune for tickets.

I can't imagine Man City ever making themselves sustainable - would they not need to win the League every year?

Football isn't just a business... financial success/resources is directly related to success in the sport. This makes it questionable whether we want to allow random teams such an advantage because they happen to be lucky enough to have a rich owner? And how long do we let the losses continue?

No their finances are up the shitter!

I hate to keep banging this drum but the NHL had a simialr problem.  Everyone involved sat down and worked out a collective bargaining agreement.

Whats happening in the league at the minute is not good, look what has happened over the last couple of years with teams tryin to compete.  They have absolutely buggered themselves, and not on salaries for top players like ronney, its been for you mid to average players.  Whacked up on high prices.

Some of the clubs nearly went to the wall cos of it.

Sure that cant be good?

Also you mention a free market, the NHL is in the biggest capitalist countries in the world and even they realised it was insane.

Alternatively you have a system which FIFA have proposed which could be interpreted as being made to maintain the current status quo. 

Can't say I've read the plans in detail, but if the amount you can spend on wages is linked to 50% of turnover, that pretty much ends (however unlikely it is anyway) anyone without 50k+ stadium the chance of EVER winning the league.  At least, as it currently stands, a billionaire could buy Blackpool and buy his way to the title by spending huge sums.

But I agree - there isn't exactly an easy answer.