Wayne Rooney

SEMTEX

He would cost an absolute fortune, we could get three players (at least) for the wages he would command.

Aye. I'd rather Rafa was able to build a squad that can develop, then to buy players who are after one last pay check and will be gone within a couple of years. We need the next Wayne Rooney, not the current one.

Guest palnese

Another wonderkid who burned out by his 30th. How many players burst onto the scene at 16/17 and are still good post-30? Apart from Giggs.

Milner

Guest palnese

Another wonderkid who burned out by his 30th. How many players burst onto the scene at 16/17 and are still good post-30? Apart from Giggs.

Milner

You can't compare Milner to Rooney  :jesuswept:

Okay?

He would cost an absolute fortune, we could get three players (at least) for the wages he would command.

Aye. I'd rather Rafa was able to build a squad that can develop, then to buy players who are after one last pay check and will be gone within a couple of years. We need the next Wayne Rooney, not the current one.

he may fit into his next remit?  keep us in the PL next year, massive task  :cool:

Guest firetotheworks

That Messi kid will probably still be very good next season.

Guest Howaythetoon

Rooney isn't even an average player now, totally finished at this level physically and mentally. He's still a good footballer but it means nowt if you can't run and don't have the mentality to keep going and adapt and change. No thanks!

Hes been past it for a few seasons. Pretty weird one in all fairness how he dropped off, seems like a good players still in there but has just totally lost it. He just hasnt looked after himself, when you see the likes of Ronaldo, Ibra, Messi, Lampard and co they kept themselves fit and in top shape, Rooneys hardly ever looked in amazing shape his whole career.

That Messi kid will probably still be very good next season.

Can think of Giggs, Messi, Ronaldo, Zlatan. Buffon too but goalkeepers don't count.

Milner

You can't compare Milner to Rooney  :jesuswept:

Okay?

Milner a wonderkid?  ;D

Besides the fact he "burst" onto the scene early (mainly due to a Leeds in free fall following fire sale of key players they couldnt replace) I don't see any comparison to him and the likes of Rooney and Owen.

I don't necessarily think he's finished yet, just needs a change, but I don't think a team in our position can afford the risk. We haven't exactly had much luck taking cast-offs from the top teams (Geremi, Duff, Butt, Smith, Owen etc.). These players have generally turned up having already won plenty. Often they just don't have the hunger to scrap it out lower down the league.

He'll benefit under a coach who plays everything through him, but it'd be a gamble to make him the main man. Someone mentioned Ibra, but Man Utd are totally set up to play to him and at times I've definitely felt it's held them back this season.