Football and Religion Should Never Mix

Thomson Mouse

Same "Old Firm" s****. I feel for you TM.

I have a few family connections to Rangers, but no chance would I ever support them (or Celtic).

In a perfect world Glaswegians would abandon them and support teams like the buddies.

Reconsidering what I said, I think the problem with the Old Firm is that so many of their supporters aren't Glaswegians.

Those f*cking ferries from NI :facepalm:

No doubt the same type variety of fuckwits that were singing "Al Quaeda!" (to the tune of 'Ar-gen-teena! clap-clap-clap-clap-clap") at SJP during the last friendly.

a) It's not even a majority of Celtic supporters doing this. Just a few people with a banner.

Looks like more than a few to me like

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/7510/capturevij.jpg

Their proofreader must have been banned from the stadium already.

EDIT: Even Newcastle fans can spell the name of their club right

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_BPBojSYFPDw/RvdrXftLEbI/AAAAAAAAAns/pJnlK120XPc/s1600/Celtcs%2BFeeder%2BClub%2Bbanner.jpg

Bloostained:

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/tobias-blue.jpg

Mind you,I'd pay good money to watch Tiote hurtling into a 50-50 with David Cameron.

Chieck Tiote does not do 50-50 challenges. Only 100-0 challenges, all in his favour naturally.

Yes but to give Cameron an inkling he might win the ball,make it 50-50,hell even 20-80.

Bunch of charvas who've never even seen a firearm much less ever had to use one should not dare insult the memory of people who've died for them.

The end.

You think they fought in WW1 for them? It was a stupid imperialist war that turned a generation of young men into cannon fodder, not some abstract-idealist good vs evil bullshit.

Absurd faux-intellectual nit-picking nit picking aside, fact remains that if men and women in uniform weren't throwing themselves at bullets in shit-ass trenches in France a century ago, you wouldn't have the life you have today. (Replace situation with your own veterans in war of your choice if you're not British)

b) Everything when you follow football and live in Glasgow

And nothing for the rest of the world?

I might be wrong but I don't know another place where religion influences professional football to the degree it does in Glasgow.

Get back to me when you've figured out the difference between religion and politics.

I might be wrong but I don't know another place where religion influences professional football to the degree it does in Glasgow.

Get back to me when you've figured out the difference between religion and politics.

come back when you think there's a difference in this case.

The Korean team playing in the Asian Champions League finals is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Moonies and we have a second-division side called "Hallejujah" that won the top division in the nineties? :razz:

Absurd faux-intellectual nit-picking nit picking aside, fact remains that if men and women in uniform weren't throwing themselves at bullets in s***-ass trenches in France a century ago, you wouldn't have the life you have today. (Replace situation with your own veterans in war of your choice if you're not British)

And you have the cheek to call someone else's post absurd? :lol:

Your attempt at emotional blackmail leaves a lot to be desired, for one there were no women in the trenches of WWI, and the world itself was a very different place then than it is today - and WWI was not a fight against fascism, that came latter.

The poppy is a symbol of remembrance of those who lost their lives in WWI, the war to end all wars. The fact that it is now being used by certain elements to encompass modern wars such as Iraq/Afghanistan is what is questionable, and that is what the celtic banners are attempting to do - albeit in a rather overly dramatic way.

Some people are not happy with the conduct of the British government and the actions of sections of the British army (i'm sure you can find all sorts of evidence etc online as to why), and would rather not see the remembrance of those that died fighting in what they themselves believed to be a just war, tarnished by the actions of a modern occupying force.

Of course the emotional hysteria that the government (et al) wishes to whip up in order to get backing from the public appears to be working - if some of the posts on this thread are anything to go by.

Be a much better world if Celtic and Rangers just ceased to exist overnight.

Two buckets of scum football clubs who bring nothing positive to the game, fucking hate everything about the 'Old Firm'.

Absurd faux-intellectual nit-picking nit picking aside, fact remains that if men and women in uniform weren't throwing themselves at bullets in s***-ass trenches in France a century ago, you wouldn't have the life you have today. (Replace situation with your own veterans in war of your choice if you're not British)

And you have the cheek to call someone else's post absurd? :lol:

Your attempt at emotional blackmail leaves a lot to be desired, for one there were no women in the trenches of WWI, and the world itself was a very different place then than it is today - and WWI was not a fight against fascism, that came latter.

The poppy is a symbol of remembrance of those who lost their lives in WWI, the war to end all wars. The fact that it is now being used by certain elements to encompass modern wars such as Iraq/Afghanistan is what is questionable, and that is what the celtic banners are attempting to do - albeit in a rather overly dramatic way.

Some people are not happy with the conduct of the British government and the actions of sections of the British army (i'm sure you can find all sorts of evidence etc online as to why), and would rather not see the remembrance of those that died fighting in what they themselves believed to be a just war, tarnished by the actions of a modern occupying force.

Of course the emotional hysteria that the government (et al) wishes to whip up in order to get backing from the public appears to be working - if some of the posts on this thread are anything to go by.

no it isn't. it is a symbol of rememberence of those who lost their lives and were injured serving this country. just because it started after the first world war doesn't tie it exclusivly to that or is the poppy not for rememberence of the world war 2 victims, korea ? falklands ? etc etc. you can't choose what conflicts you want the poppy to be associated with, yes to this one and no to that one. my guess is those people are the same sort of people who will pop a quid in the tins in many "irish" pubs in glasgow to support the cause of irish nationalsim based purely on their lineage.

I don't see what's so absurd about me just wishing that we could show a bit of respect.

Perhaps my line of work makes me biased.

perceived lack of historical accuracy = target for internet pedantry

i always primarily associate the poppy with WW1 & WW2 personally (what madras says is bang on though), rightly or wrongly, and for that reason these Celtic cunts can fuck off and die

no it isn't. it is a symbol of rememberence of those who lost their lives and were injured serving this country. just because it started after the first world war doesn't tie it exclusivly to that or is the poppy not for rememberence of the world war 2 victims, korea ? falklands ? etc etc. you can't choose what conflicts you want the poppy to be associated with, yes to this one and no to that one. my guess is those people are the same sort of people who will pop a quid in the tins in many "irish" pubs in glasgow to support the cause of irish nationalsim based purely on their lineage.

Change my is to was or originated as then you pedantic bugger.

my point still stands with regard to the popularity of the current war/occupation.

my point still stands with regard to the popularity of the current war/occupation.

No it doesn't because that wasn't what we were arguing about in the first place. :facepalm:

do you think that protest was really about not thinking the troops shpould be in iraq etc or an anti english sentiment because of sectarian issues ?.

also whereas WWII was a fight against facism (though even then theres questions about whetether it was originally and not just a fight for self protection) WWI could hardly claim that, being more an aristocratic squabble with little or no ideaology.

I don't see what's so absurd about me just wishing that we could show a bit of respect.

I see no reason to show any respect for the Christ-like "they died for you" idealisation of warfare, especially when I see it extended and abused to support today's professional warriors, with some people wildly imagining they're in Iraq to "protect our freedoms".

Oh, and I've been in the army.

FFS, I'm not asking you to go build a shrine or something.

Oppose the war, not the people fighting it, all I'm saying. And this is just on general principal and does not indicate myself holding a certain political view concerning the British government's deployment of forces to Iraq... BECAUSE I'M NOT BRITISH (probably should have been mentioned at the start.)

I see no reason to show any respect for the Christ-like "they died for you" idealisation of warfare, especially when I see it extended and abused to support today's professional warriors, with some people wildly imagining they're in Iraq to "protect our freedoms".

Oh, and I've been in the army.

agree partially with this. i distrust the whole "hope for heroes" bit as whenever i've been in the company of squaddies they tend to be charvas with short hair, as annoying, vicious and nasty as their pit bull toting brethren. however if they get injured doing the countries bidding, rightly or wrongly) i'm prepared to give up a couple of quid towards their recovery.

do you think that protest was really about not thinking the troops shpould be in iraq etc or an anti english sentiment because of sectarian issues ?.

Well we're dealing with celtic here so there is obviously some truth in the latter, although that still shouldn't sway us too far from the former point, that associating the poppy with this current conflict is something the government is keen to do to provide emotional backing to what is a very unpopular war.

also whereas WWII was a fight against facism (though even then theres questions about whetether it was originally and not just a fight for self protection) WWI could hardly claim that, being more an aristocratic squabble with little or no ideaology.

I completely agree.

Both the Celtic Supporters Trust and Celtic Supporters Association have backed the protest, aswell as the Ultras who have been given a whole section at Celtic Park. So much for a minority.

It never has been a minority, same as when they waved banners which supported innocent British people being murdered by Irish terrorists.

The majority cheered and sang their songs. The moment there is a bit of public outrage they claim it's just a minority. It's not.

They should NEVER be allowed near to the English football leagues - let them join the Irish League if they're sick of their own.