Football and Religion Should Never Mix

Thomson Mouse

Guest Geordiecunny

Some refreshing views on here, I'm pleased there more people out there who don't go in for all this sanctifying the military nonsense.

b) Everything when you follow football and live in Glasgow

And nothing for the rest of the world?

I might be wrong but I don't know another place where religion influences professional football to the degree it does in Glasgow.

Get back to me when you've figured out the difference between religion and politics.

Nice attitude btw.

I know the difference between them. In this case though it's religion, not politics.

I might be wrong but I don't know another place where religion influences professional football to the degree it does in Glasgow.

Get back to me when you've figured out the difference between religion and politics.

Nice attitude btw.

I know the difference between them. In this case though it's religion, not politics.

in some parts of the world, on some occasions they are the same thing, this is one of those occasions.

Absurd faux-intellectual nit-picking nit picking aside, fact remains that if men and women in uniform weren't throwing themselves at bullets in s***-ass trenches in France a century ago, you wouldn't have the life you have today. (Replace situation with your own veterans in war of your choice if you're not British)

And you have the cheek to call someone else's post absurd? :lol:

Your attempt at emotional blackmail leaves a lot to be desired, for one there were no women in the trenches of WWI, and the world itself was a very different place then than it is today - and WWI was not a fight against fascism, that came latter.

The poppy is a symbol of remembrance of those who lost their lives in WWI, the war to end all wars. The fact that it is now being used by certain elements to encompass modern wars such as Iraq/Afghanistan is what is questionable, and that is what the celtic banners are attempting to do - albeit in a rather overly dramatic way.

Some people are not happy with the conduct of the British government and the actions of sections of the British army (i'm sure you can find all sorts of evidence etc online as to why), and would rather not see the remembrance of those that died fighting in what they themselves believed to be a just war, tarnished by the actions of a modern occupying force.

Of course the emotional hysteria that the government (et al) wishes to whip up in order to get backing from the public appears to be working - if some of the posts on this thread are anything to go by.

no it isn't. it is a symbol of rememberence of those who lost their lives and were injured serving this country. just because it started after the first world war doesn't tie it exclusivly to that or is the poppy not for rememberence of the world war 2 victims, korea ? falklands ? etc etc. you can't choose what conflicts you want the poppy to be associated with, yes to this one and no to that one. my guess is those people are the same sort of people who will pop a quid in the tins in many "irish" pubs in glasgow to support the cause of irish nationalsim based purely on their lineage.

As far as I'm concerned the poppy is worn in remembrance of WW1 casualties, it bloomed over the battlefields and is therefore, associated solely with that. Remembrance day is for all casualties in all wars.

Absurd faux-intellectual nit-picking nit picking aside, fact remains that if men and women in uniform weren't throwing themselves at bullets in s***-ass trenches in France a century ago, you wouldn't have the life you have today. (Replace situation with your own veterans in war of your choice if you're not British)

Your attempt at emotional blackmail leaves a lot to be desired, for one there were no women in the trenches of WWI, and the world itself was a very different place then than it is today - and WWI was not a fight against fascism, that came latter.

The poppy is a symbol of remembrance of those who lost their lives in WWI, the war to end all wars. The fact that it is now being used by certain elements to encompass modern wars such as Iraq/Afghanistan is what is questionable, and that is what the celtic banners are attempting to do - albeit in a rather overly dramatic way.

Some people are not happy with the conduct of the British government and the actions of sections of the British army (i'm sure you can find all sorts of evidence etc online as to why), and would rather not see the remembrance of those that died fighting in what they themselves believed to be a just war, tarnished by the actions of a modern occupying force.

Of course the emotional hysteria that the government (et al) wishes to whip up in order to get backing from the public appears to be working - if some of the posts on this thread are anything to go by.

no it isn't. it is a symbol of rememberence of those who lost their lives and were injured serving this country. just because it started after the first world war doesn't tie it exclusivly to that or is the poppy not for rememberence of the world war 2 victims, korea ? falklands ? etc etc. you can't choose what conflicts you want the poppy to be associated with, yes to this one and no to that one. my guess is those people are the same sort of people who will pop a quid in the tins in many "irish" pubs in glasgow to support the cause of irish nationalsim based purely on their lineage.

As far as I'm concerned the poppy is worn in remembrance of WW1 casualties, it bloomed over the battlefields and is therefore, associated solely with that. Remembrance day is for all casualties in all wars.

pity those that died in world war II then with no rememberence insignia for them.

the poppy is not worn in rememberence of any one particular war/conflict....it was, until there was another war.

pity those that died in world war II then with no rememberence insignia for them.

the poppy is not worn in rememberence of any one particular war/conflict....it was, until there was another war.

My sentiments exactly. I would happily wear a Poppy, but couldn't care less about the ''heroes'' who have murdered in Iraq and Afghanistan for example.

Nice attitude btw.

in some parts of the world, on some occasions they are the same thing, this is one of those occasions.

I would say that applies more to Ireland than Glasgow mate. Religion seems to be more predominant there. Just a personal opinion though.

My sentiments exactly. I would happily wear a Poppy, but couldn't care less about the ''heroes'' who have murdered in Iraq and Afghanistan for example.

"Murdered" who exactly?

"Murdered" who exactly?

I sense a riot is about to start here...........

"Murdered" who exactly?

I sense a riot is about to start here...........

As a Serviceman all I can say to those who call us Babykillers and Murderers etc is I think you are somewhat misguided at best, but remember this your right of free speech which enables you to spew forth such bile was earned by the blood of those like me

Hey I just deleted it :p

This debate just makes me think of that movie every time it comes up.

And, I'm a Catalan. We were actually barred from going to the Americas (they were exclusive to Castilla). Still, the Spanish Black Legend is grossly exaggerated, but I really don't want to go there in an English forum.

Those players who make a sign of the cross when they come on the field -- ban the bastards!

Nope, just ban people who use religion to cause trouble.

Surely asking for the assistance of God is an attempt to cheat?

Even if a blatant appeal for divine assistance does not contravene the laws of the game, it's certainly mixing football and religion.