Jack Warner and world footballing clowns says Panorama a 'personal vendetta'

Thomson Mouse

Fifa vice-president Warner attacks BBC investigation

Jack Warner and David Beckham

Warner has met former captain and bid ambassador David Beckham

Fifa vice-president Jack Warner has made a scathing attack on the BBC Panorama programme examining the bidding to stage the 2018 World Cup.

The documentary will air three days before the 2 December vote, and Warner said: it was "deliberately designed to negatively impact" on England's bid.

Warner, whose vote is seen as crucial to England's hopes, claims the programme is "a personal vendetta".

The BBC said the programme on 29 November is "in the public interest".

Warner, a government minister in Trinidad, is president of the Concacaf federation covering North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football, and could deliver three of the 22 FIFA executive members' votes to England.

He has been invited to lunch in Zurich by Prime Minister David Cameron ahead of the vote, and David Beckham met him while opening a coaching clinic in Trinidad in September.

Warner, who said last week that he had still to decide which way he would vote, spoke of his dissatisfaction with the Panorama investigation in a vehement e-mail to Press Association Sport.

"I am sure it's a personal vendetta. But it is sooooooooooo stupid... for it can have no effect on me personally or on anyone else in Fifa for that matter."

Warner added that there was no new material in the programme and that he was not losing sleep over it.

BBC Panorama responded by saying: "Panorama has a reputation for strong, independent and probing investigative journalism. The findings of the Panorama investigation into Fifa will be in the public interest."

Last week England 2018 leaders branded the BBC "unpatriotic" for screening the investigation so close to the vote, fearing it will lead to a backlash from Fifa members.y

Speaking in June, Warner gives his views on the bid

The furore follows an undercover investigation by the Sunday Times in October in which it was alleged that Fifa members Amos Adamu and Reynald Temarii asked for money in return for voting on World Cup hosting rights.

Adamu, from Nigeria, was later suspended from all footballing activity by Fifa's Ethics Committee for three years, while Tahitian Temarii received a one-year suspension. Both were also handed fines.

They are now prohibited from taking part in the vote to decide who will host the 2018 and 2022 World Cup finals.

England face competition from Netherlands/Belgium, Russia and Spain/Portugal for the 2018 tournament.

The host of the 2022 contest will also be decided on 2 December, with Australia, Japan, Qatar, South Korea and the United States competing for the rights.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9217976.stm

Have been following the panorama vs FIFA thing for a bit and I'm glad they didn't pull the plug on the programme, it should be interesting to see a tiny fragment of the corruption that goes on.

Warner is right though, the people at the top will be protected and it might harm England's bid, but is that a reason to not expose what they've found?

It looks like they've got FIFA running scared a bit though with all of these threats.

If they have solid evidence, they should bring up to the authorities for investogation. Saying that it is in the "public interest to know" and screening it 3 days before the  vote is just a poor excuse for cheap sensationalism. 

If they have solid evidence, they should bring up to the authorities for investogation. Saying that it is in the "public interest to know" and screening it 3 days before the  vote is just a poor excuse for cheap sensationalism. 

I'd like to think that the BBC had already thought of them being public enemy number 1 if that is the case.

Nothing qrong in them screening it and then passing on the info.

But why 3 days before the vote? It's just sensationalist bullshit which the BBC constantly claim to be above. Mark Thompson is one of the biggest cunts in media and he is setting out his stall to create as much hype and controversy as possible. Whatever Blatter says, this could have an impact on whether we get the WC, or whether a fuckload of govt (ie tax funded) money gets spunked up the wall due to the vanity of Thompson. Just another example of the BBC dumbing itself down and seeking out viewing figures as opposed to genuinely wanting to uncover misdemeanours.

Guest firetotheworks

Why would the BBC want to sabotage our bid? Warner is a f***ing tool.

I think it's pretty obvious that by him saying they 'want' to sabotage our bid, he means that it will sabotage our bid. So watch out basically.

I think it's pretty obvious that by him saying they 'want' to sabotage our bid, he means that it will sabotage our bid. So watch out basically.

Warner means "I'm worried that this programme will reveal me to be the corrupt, sleazy bastard that I am, so I will threaten not to vote for England to try and get it taken off air."

Guest firetotheworks

Warner means "I'm worried that this programme will reveal me to be the corrupt, sleazy b****** that I am, so I will threaten not to vote for England to try and get it taken off air."

Exactly.

The football authorities have shown previously that their preferred course of action is to just sweep it under the rug and ignore it wherever possible.  If the public can see the evidence and decide for themselves if the process is corrupt, that's where the pressure comes from.

Warner means "I'm worried that this programme will reveal me to be the corrupt, sleazy b****** that I am, so I will threaten not to vote for England to try and get it taken off air."

Bingo.

Didn't he try and pull some shit a year or so ago with Beckham having to talk to him or something.

It's quite clear there is a whole load of corruption going, hopeful this will have some substance and really piss a few of them off.

Pretty certain Panorama did a program about how corrupt Jack Warner is a few years back (and a book was published). Was lovely how all the tickets for Warner's region could only be sold via a local ticket agency (run by his brother-in-law, or something similar). Jack Warner and Blatter are as bad as each other, but no matter how much they are shown in a bad light, still come out for these kinds of things unscathed. Shambles to be honest.

Guest Geordiecunny

I can't believe there's a chance he might not vote for England. That man has been fellated by The FA for years.

I think it is just a case of trying to get viewing figures and not concern for journalistic integrity that's got the BBC screening this when they are.

I can't believe there's a chance he might not vote for England. That man has been fellated by The FA for years.

I think it is just a case of trying to get viewing figures and not concern for journalistic integrity that's got the BBC screening this when they are.

:lol:

Why's it supposed to be reprehensible to go with a story at the moment it is topical?

Up until a month ago, England had been enjoying a good run on the back of a positive inspection visit in the summer and a successful visit to Downing Street by Blatter. But then came the Sunday Times investigation and the spectre of Panorama. Both played into long-held Fifa fears about the British media and the bid team went into damage limitation mode. In Fifa's alternate reality, Russia's crackdown on free speech is seen as preferable to the prospect of facing the British media for eight years.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/nov/23/england-world-cup-2018-series

Pretty certain Panorama did a program about how corrupt Jack Warner is a few years back (and a book was published). Was lovely how all the tickets for Warner's region could only be sold via a local ticket agency (run by his brother-in-law, or something similar). Jack Warner and Blatter are as bad as each other, but no matter how much they are shown in a bad light, still come out for these kinds of things unscathed. Shambles to be honest.

Sure his family had some contracts around travel for T&T team and various other bits resembling a racket.  This organisation is beyond a joke but seems to do so without challenge other than by the press.  Nothing can be done with them it seems.