Not worthy of a thread - 2018 FIFA World Cup edition

OzzieMandias
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's not like you have to be an expert to ask these kind of question Dinho. They're fundamental issues with their bid.

I think some of the stuff they've got planned looks outstanding (the air cooled stadiums etc) but it's a massive risk in terms of other issues still (FIFA basically said so themselves).

and do you think FIFA would have ignored it.... do you think they didn't think of solutions to it?  Come on, they're might be corrupt..... but they know how to organise a world cup better than any of us. (Except Wolly maybe.... sorry, Wullie.)

So why did the official FIFA report rate Qatar's technical bid (i.e. can they cope?) as worse than everyone else's?

How about if you first bring us the proof that I was having a go at England's bid "at every opportunity" and prove to us, and especially your mate Kaizero, that you weren't totally making things up?

Not surprised you ignored it, tbh.

Your posts in this thread make it quite clear that you didn't want England to get it but are in favour of Qatar getting it.

Why did the official FIFA report rate Qatar's technical bid (i.e. can they cope?) as worse than everyone else's?

What a load of utter crap! :lol: I wanted England to win the bid……but just because they didn’t win, I’m not going to criticise other nation’s bid. Any country in the running would have done a good job, in my opinion. But I wanted England to win it in particular because I live in England and I wanted to experience the world cup here…… because having experienced euro 96, I knew England would have hosted a great world cup.

Fuck off, you’re spouting so much shit, man. Unbelievable.

Fair enough then, I retract that bit.

Those population growth and migrant rate figures are irrelevant, chump.

Not if you're trying to claim that a country with a population currently estimated at 840,926 (not that you got that right either) will expand to "4–5 million" in a dozen years. If population is not going to expand via birth rate or migration, where on earth are all those millions going to come from? A fucking huge big flock of storks?

Try using facts sometimes, rather than hype and baseless assertion.

Wullie is pissing all over Dinho lad, it's starting to get embarrassing for him (Dinho) now.

You mean he is pissing all over me by contradicting himself?  :lol: Yeah right... more like internet mates sticking up for each other. :lol:

:gayfight:

He's pissing all over you by having a fair point. I couldn't care less who made said point. He's being reasonable, you're being silly.

Listen.... it's not the first time that you've stuck-up for someone simply because you get on better with him than me. You were also the knight in shining armour for ronaldo a while back when we were arguing.

I couldn't give a shit who you like more.... just fuck off with your internet mates tag thing.

For fucks sake. :lol: I don't fucking give a shit who's making a point as long as their point is good. If you made an effort to not make idiotic points, I'd potentially be siding with you. But you're not, you're continually making shit points. Internet mates? Fucking hell man, have a word. :lol:

So you're saying Wullie wasn't contradicting himself?

You're not fooling anyone by that.

He's made a sound argument that I am in agreement with. You've made a shit argument that I'm not in agreement with. Simples. It doesn't mean I like you less as a person than someone else, it just means we're just disagreeing on something. Also simples.

Not an answer to my question, tbh.

It is. By saying I am in agreement with him I'm saying I don't think he's contradicted himself. He's said you didn't support the English bid, which may or may not be true, I dunno. (EDIT: not true then.) But besides that he's spot on most of the time.

The thing about Sepp Blatter and FIFA is that they now consider themselves to be footballing missionaries, bringing the religeon of football to the unbelievers. As such England was never going to be picked. We're already football mad, what new converts to the football brand could be made by having the world cup in England?

There's nothing inherantly wrong with FIFA's approach; every brand seeks to expand it's market in to new areas. What was definitely wrong with FIFA's approach is that they weren't a lot more open and honest about it. If they were then nations like Spain and England would have known in advance that there was no point bidding because they simply weren't fertile enough ground for the expansion of the cult of football. There would have been a lot of time, effort, and more importantly money (£15 million spent for the England bid) saved if FIFA had simply been more frank about the bidding process, and what they considered important, which quite obviously wasn't much to do with the technical ability to actually hold the competition itself.

The thing about Sepp Blatter and FIFA is that they now consider themselves to be footballing missionaries, bringing the religeon of football to the unbelievers. As such England was never going to be picked. We're already football mad, what new converts to the football brand could be made by having the world cup in England?

There's nothing inherantly wrong with FIFA's approach; every brand seeks to expand it's market in to new areas. What was definitely wrong with FIFA's approach is that they weren't a lot more open and honest about it. If they were then nations like Spain and England would have known in advance that there was no point bidding because they simply weren't fertile enough ground for the expansion of the cult of football. There would have been a lot of time, effort, and more importantly money (£15 million spent for the England bid) saved if FIFA had simply been more frank about the bidding process, and what they considered important, which quite obviously wasn't much to do with the technical ability to actually hold the competition itself.

I'm sure football is the best supported sport in Russia.

Read somewhere today (credible i may add, not in The Sun) that most of the Exco dismissed the England 2018 brochure (actually it was more like a yellow pages) and didnt bother reading it.

Yesterday was a farce, votes were clearly sorted out a long time ago. Having two bids voted for at once left the whole procedure wide open to "scratch our back and we'll scratch yours" shenanigans.

Bear wrestling?

Wonder why England and us are labelled "Medium Risk" regarding stadium operations when we are organizing the two top leagues in the world every weekend, with more than a hundred professional games being played all over the territory.

Found this for Spain/Portugal - "Criticised for not specifying 'a clear operational concept' for safety and security and not providing sufficient details of its IT plans."

This is mentioned for England - "Contractual issues surrounding the number of 'venue specific' training sites." Not sure if that relates though - could crowd behavior be a factor?

We should just start taking the piss. Next time they offer us the chance to bid, stick a bid in with stadiums including Bury FC and Accrington Stanley, with the final being staged at Croft Park in Blyth.

We'll assign all broadcasting rights to ITV, have the ceremony hosted by the Cheeky Girls and put the BBC in charge of FIFA liaision.

Sorted. England 2032 - because wa worth it.

Yes, but it's a bit like being the best looking lass in Sunderland... there isn't much competition.

Trust me, I've been to Russia a few times and, although football is fairly popular, it's nowhere near the level it could be.

Yes, but it's a bit like being the best looking lass in Sunderland... there isn't much competition.

Trust me, I've been to Russia a few times and, although football is fairly popular, it's nowhere near the level it could be.

I doubt that hosting a tournament is going to change anything, at least not long term.

I doubt that hosting a tournament is going to change anything, at least not long term.

Maybe, maybe not, but what we think doesn't matter. FIFA clearly thinks it will, otherwise they wouldn't have world cups in these places, they'd just stick to the traditional footballing strongholds in Europe and South America.

I echo Ant's sentiments - if the World Cup bid preference is now for new territories, fair enough, not saying I necessarily agree with it but you can see the logic - but don't then let the likes of us, Spain and the USA run round like blue arsed flies and waste a load of money on a bid that we are essentially excluded from winning.

Also doesn't excuse Australia only getting one vote, think that could have been a tremendous WC.

Maybe, maybe not, but what we think doesn't matter. FIFA clearly thinks it will, otherwise they wouldn't have world cups in these places, they'd just stick to the traditional footballing strongholds in Europe and South America.

If that was true then why go to a country which is smaller than Wales and has a population which may or may not be a little bigger than the poulation of Tyne & wear?

Next time it's Europe's turn, we should take the piss by getting the Vatican to put in a bid.

how about Luxembourg - i wonder if there's be any objections to this - as it would basically be the same as Qatar - similar size, both rich, tiny nations, crap at football. except luxembourg has none of the human rights issues, or stifling heat or lack of anything approaching a civil society.

If that was true then why go to a country which is smaller than Wales and has a population which may or may not be a little bigger than the poulation of Tyne & wear?

Because their target isn't just qatar itself, it's the middle East. Just like their target in the last world cup wasn't solely South Africa but the whole continent of Africa. The influence of the world cup extends further than just the national boundaries of the host country.

Because their target isn't just qatar itself, it's the middle East. Just like their target in the last world cup wasn't solely South Africa but the whole continent of Africa. The influence of the world cup extends further than just the national boundaries of the host country.

That rules Europe and South America out of ever having another WC as it would be pointless.

That rules Europe and South America out of ever having another WC as it would be pointless.

The way things are going that's looking more likely. I think that FIFA will be reigned in a bit one way or another in the next few years though.

The way things are going that's looking more likely. I think that FIFA will be reigned in a bit one way or another in the next few years though.

The Yanks aren't too happy with the voting so they might start to look closer at FIFA and the 22 who had a vote.