Not worthy of a thread - 2018 FIFA World Cup edition

OzzieMandias
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The way things are going that's looking more likely. I think that FIFA will be reigned in a bit one way or another in the next few years though.

The Yanks aren't too happy with the voting so they might start to look closer at FIFA and the 22 who had a vote.

Everyone will start looking more closely. What England have just found out will no doubt soon dawn on Spain. Italy, France, Germany etc. To use a retailing analogy: It's all very well looking for new customers, but you can't p!ss off your existing ones.

I see the acting charmain of the FA Roger Burden is quitting "because he does not trust FIFA members"

Oh no! 

Things are starting to kick off now, which is great. FIFA shouldn't get away with this and I hope they rot.

Hopefully by the time 2026 bidding begins, Blatter will be gone and some sane person might let Europe have 2026. Although England still shouldn't go for it, because FIFA will still be a corrupt and pathetic organisation.

I see the acting charmain of the FA Roger Burden is quitting "because he does not trust FIFA members"

Oh no! 

Things are starting to kick off now, which is great. FIFA shouldn't get away with this and I hope they rot.

Hopefully by the time 2026 bidding begins, Blatter will be gone and some sane person might let Europe have 2026. Although England still shouldn't go for it, because FIFA will still be a corrupt and pathetic organisation.

You can't beat 'the man'. Honesty and reliability won't get you anywhere.

Know the rules and work things from the inside.

Oh no! 

Blatter will be replaced by Platini IMO. Another one who is as bent as a 9 bob note.

World Cups going to countries that need more developing are good cash cows & kickbacks all round. The same international companies & army of advisors will roll from one nation to the next. America runs the NFL & we run the PL on a weekly basis so the foundation, infrastructe & knowledge is pretty much in place.

Blatter will be replaced by Platini IMO. Another one who is as bent as a 9 bob note.

Platini is rumoured to be one of the 2 votes which went to Holland and then moved to Russia once we went out.

Oh no! 

Platini IMO. Another one who is as bent as a 9 bob note.

Spot on.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1282674/MARTIN-SAMUEL-Take-running-jump-Michel-Platini--right-plan.html

Platini is rumoured to be one of the 2 votes which went to Holland and then moved to Russia once we went out.

That's the bit that I still can't rationalize. How did Holland/Belgium get 4 votes in the 1st round and then lost 2 votes in the second round when the competitors were still the same sans England. Why would England's elimination reduce the Holland/Belgium vote in the second round?

That's the bit that I still can't rationalize. How did Holland/Belgium get 4 votes in the 1st round and then lost 2 votes in the second round when the competitors were still the same sans England. Why would England's elimination reduce the Holland/Belgium vote in the second round?

England's bid team apparently saw getting through the first round as the sticking point but were confident that they would build up votes as they went through the rounds towards a strong finish as the voters for Belgium/Netherlands and Spain/Portugal go for England as their second choice. The two extra votes for BeNe were a blatant tactical vote for the weakest bid in order to eliminate England as early as possible.

Might as well just make Brazil permanent hosts then.

So you are saying this is a bad idea because it might result in a quadrennial carnival of football in a South America?  When the alternative is a backroom deal to take football to Qatar?

Just take the decision out of the hands of corrupt FIFA officials.  Tell the English FA to stop spending money on a circus of a bid, and start spending that money on building a team that can earn a World Cup instead. 

Also Qatar will be the worst World Cup ever, quite simply can't see how any culture and atmosphere is going to be generated in the place.  It'll be like visiting Dubai, very nice to see but little culture about.

Yeah.... that's what some people thought about Japan/Korea.

sorry, but i just have to flag up the fact that you're seemingly comparing Qatar, a country that a few years back was one big sand dune, to the ancient cultures of Japan and Korea, with their rich heritages and many, many millions of people, cultural and technological accomplishments, legacies of artistic and scientific brilliance, high levels of human development, well respected civil societies, freedom of the press and so on. who the hell said Japan/Korea had no culture or atmosphere? idiotic in the extreme.

qatar is just a few dozen rich royals who probably live in london or paris paying off some corrupt bastards in order to stage an event that they should never have even been considered for. Japan and Korea are some of the most well respected and most well developed countries on the planet. it's kind of like comparing newcastle with sunderland...

Whats idiotic is your totally irrelevant and off the point post. Frankly, I couldnt care less about those factors that you mentioned. Stick to football, thanks.

When nessy asks how any culture and atmosphere is going to be generated in the place I instantly thought about the atmosphere and the passion in the stadiums.  This is what I was certainly referring to. I dont know how off the pitch events held a thousand miles away is going to spoil your enjoyment of the world cup.

Fucking hell. only few weeks back there was a thread saying politics and religion shouldnt mix with football.  Were you one of those people that agreed with that, by any chance?

Politics and football shouldn't mix when we talk about football actually being played. There's no room for sectarianism and racism in football.

However, when we're talking about organising a WC, we're not really talking about just the football, are we? We're talking about money, infrastructure, tourism, transport, investment etc., and that is a bunch of things that are, by its nature, political. So hosting a WC definitely has political aspects towards it.

How do you think Qatar will build all these fancy stadiums? They'll bring in migrant workers for India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, treat them like slaves, pay them like slaves then deport them when they've finished their jobs. That's how they've done it, that's how Dubai did it, that's how the ME has constructed themselves. So when FIFA says 'ok, we'll let you host the WC', they are sanctioning and condoning the way Qatar and other countries in the ME treat migrant workers. That could not be any less of a political decision.

So yes, football and religion/politics shouldn't mix when we're talking about football being played, but when we're talking about spending billions of dollars, that's politics whether you want it to be or not.

It sounds like we were involved in the same kind of horse-trading as everyone else. The only difference was that we felt bound to our informal agreement, and thought others were as well.

Get rid of this stupid bidding and politics.  If you win the World Cup, you should get to host the next one. 

:dowie:

So ... most of the evening matches for Russia 2018 will be around 4.30pm for us (assuming 7.30pm is still standard kick off time, was it in South Africa?) with the exception of matches in Yekaterinburg which will be at 2.30pm British time.

Politics and football shouldn't mix when we talk about football actually being played. There's no room for sectarianism and racism in football.

However, when we're talking about organising a WC, we're not really talking about just the football, are we? We're talking about money, infrastructure, tourism, transport, investment etc., and that is a bunch of things that are, by its nature, political. So hosting a WC definitely has political aspects towards it.

How do you think Qatar will build all these fancy stadiums? They'll bring in migrant workers for India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, treat them like slaves, pay them like slaves then deport them when they've finished their jobs. That's how they've done it, that's how Dubai did it, that's how the ME has constructed themselves. So when FIFA says 'ok, we'll let you host the WC', they are sanctioning and condoning the way Qatar and other countries in the ME treat migrant workers. That could not be any less of a political decision.

So yes, football and religion/politics shouldn't mix when we're talking about football being played, but when we're talking about spending billions of dollars, that's politics whether you want it to be or not.

The workers in Dubai weren't only treated like slaves, when the harbour was built at Jebel Ali the "slaves" were dying in the heat and could do nothing about it.  They had to hand passports over when they entered the country and couldn't get them back until the work had been completed. 

This is not a piss take, when I visited Dubai it was so hot that at mid-day you would see a queue of foreign workers standing in a line in the shade of telegraph poles while they had lunch.  That was all they could do to protect themselves from the searing heat. 

Also Qatar will be the worst World Cup ever, quite simply can't see how any culture and atmosphere is going to be generated in the place.  It'll be like visiting Dubai, very nice to see but little culture about.

Yeah.... that's what some people thought about Japan/Korea.

sorry, but i just have to flag up the fact that you're seemingly comparing Qatar, a country that a few years back was one big sand dune, to the ancient cultures of Japan and Korea, with their rich heritages and many, many millions of people, cultural and technological accomplishments, legacies of artistic and scientific brilliance, high levels of human development, well respected civil societies, freedom of the press and so on. who the hell said Japan/Korea had no culture or atmosphere? idiotic in the extreme.

qatar is just a few dozen rich royals who probably live in london or paris paying off some corrupt bastards in order to stage an event that they should never have even been considered for. Japan and Korea are some of the most well respected and most well developed countries on the planet. it's kind of like comparing newcastle with sunderland...

Whats idiotic is your totally irrelevant and off the point post. Frankly, I couldnt care less about those factors that you mentioned. Stick to football, thanks.

When nessy asks how any culture and atmosphere is going to be generated in the place I instantly thought about the atmosphere and the passion in the stadiums.  This is what I was certainly referring to. I dont know how off the pitch events held a thousand miles away is going to spoil your enjoyment of the world cup.

Fucking hell. only few weeks back there was a thread saying politics and religion shouldnt mix with football.  Were you one of those people that agreed with that, by any chance?

Slave labour, all criticism suppressed.

That's a big thumbs-up from FIFA! :thup:

stadiums apparently going to be air conditiioned to 27C........now i know the olympics have an eco policy, does fifa ?

January World Cup?

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/football/top-stories/Qatar-World-Cup-could-be-held-in-January-Beckenbauer/articleshow/7041540.cms

On another note ...

Qatar has the highest per-capita carbon dioxide emissions, at 55.5 metric tons per person in 2005. This is almost double the next highest per-capita emitting country, which is Kuwait at 30.7 metric tons (2005) and they are three times those of the United States. Qatar had the highest per-capita carbon dioxide emissions for the past 18 years. These emissions are largely due to high rates of energy use in Qatar. Major uses of energy in Qatar include air conditioning, natural gas processing, water desalination and electricity production. Between 1995 and 2011 the electricity generating capacity of Qatar will have increased to six times the previous level.

stadiums apparently going to be air conditiioned to 27C........now i know the olympics have an eco policy, does fifa ?

January World Cup?

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/football/top-stories/Qatar-World-Cup-could-be-held-in-January-Beckenbauer/articleshow/7041540.cms

On another note ...

Qatar has the highest per-capita carbon dioxide emissions, at 55.5 metric tons per person in 2005. This is almost double the next highest per-capita emitting country, which is Kuwait at 30.7 metric tons (2005) and they are three times those of the United States. Qatar had the highest per-capita carbon dioxide emissions for the past 18 years. These emissions are largely due to high rates of energy use in Qatar. Major uses of energy in Qatar include air conditioning, natural gas processing, water desalination and electricity production. Between 1995 and 2011 the electricity generating capacity of Qatar will have increased to six times the previous level.

said it before but i'd love to have the world cup in northern europe in november or march.