Not worthy of a thread - 2018 FIFA World Cup edition

OzzieMandias
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The ironic thing is that the one non-British vote we got was from one of the men mentioned in the Panorama programme.

Rather than whine about possible corruption I believe FIFA have been trying to give the world cup to nations and areas of the world which have never held it before.

Which suggests that the European countries were wasting their time biding in the first place.

So on that basis somewhere like China will get 2026? Or can they ... as an Asian country immediately after Qatar?

2002 - Asia

2006 - Europe

2010 - Africa

2014 - South America

2018 - Europe/Asia

2022 - Asia

2026 - USA? Argentina (unlikely imo)? Australia? Or simply back to Europe ..?

China have said they will bid for 2026 so they would seem to be the likely host.

2030- is the centenary and there are rumours that there would be a joint Uruguay/Argentina bid.

I heard that China won't be able to bid for 2026 since Qatar won, don't know why. The same also for some reason applies to Australia, so thats South America, Europe, Asia, and the Middle East all out of contention, leaving only Africa again, and North America.

Anyway I'd like to see Canada put in a decent bid, if Russia and Qatar can win then Canada surely can.

I hope China don't get it. Of course the infrastructure and stadiums will be brilliant and with it being such a massive country football could benifit a lot from it but i thought that China seemed to take away a lot of fun fromthe olympics for the visiting fans which would dampen the tournament,imo.

The ironic thing is that the one non-British vote we got was from one of the men mentioned in the Panorama programme.

Rather than whine about possible corruption I believe FIFA have been trying to give the world cup to nations and areas of the world which have never held it before.

Which suggests that the European countries were wasting their time biding in the first place.

So on that basis somewhere like China will get 2026? Or can they ... as an Asian country immediately after Qatar?

2002 - Asia

2006 - Europe

2010 - Africa

2014 - South America

2018 - Europe/Asia

2022 - Asia

2026 - USA? Argentina (unlikely imo)? Australia? Or simply back to Europe ..?

China have said they will bid for 2026 so they would seem to be the likely host.

2030- is the centenary and there are rumours that there would be a joint Uruguay/Argentina bid.

But surely that defeats the object of continent rotation?

Well its said European teams can't bid again until 2030, and I presume if no bids can come from the Asian or South American confederations either then it is North America or Africa.

I'd love to see a Carribean joint bid. Either have a single West Indies style team as a one off, or have 5 team groups, or have a Carribean qualification group that leads directly into the World Cup.

Also Qatar will be the worst World Cup ever, quite simply can't see how any culture and atmosphere is going to be generated in the place.  It'll be like visiting Dubai, very nice to see but little culture about.

Yeah.... that's what some people thought about Japan/Korea.

sorry, but i just have to flag up the fact that you're seemingly comparing Qatar, a country that a few years back was one big sand dune, to the ancient cultures of Japan and Korea, with their rich heritages and many, many millions of people, cultural and technological accomplishments, legacies of artistic and scientific brilliance, high levels of human development, well respected civil societies, freedom of the press and so on. who the hell said Japan/Korea had no culture or atmosphere? idiotic in the extreme.

qatar is just a few dozen rich royals who probably live in london or paris paying off some corrupt bastards in order to stage an event that they should never have even been considered for. Japan and Korea are some of the most well respected and most well developed countries on the planet. it's kind of like comparing newcastle with sunderland...

What’s idiotic is your totally irrelevant and off the point post. Frankly, I couldn’t care less about those factors that you mentioned. Stick to football, thanks.

When nessy asks “how any culture and atmosphere is going to be generated in the place” I instantly thought about the atmosphere and the passion in the stadiums.  This is what I was certainly referring to. I don’t know how off the pitch events held a thousand miles away is going to spoil your enjoyment of the world cup.

Fucking hell…. only few weeks back there was a thread saying politics and religion shouldn’t mix with football.  Were you one of those people that agreed with that, by any chance?

Also Qatar will be the worst World Cup ever, quite simply can't see how any culture and atmosphere is going to be generated in the place.  It'll be like visiting Dubai, very nice to see but little culture about.

I've been to J-league and K-league games prior to the 2002 World Cup and the atmosphere at those games were good actually. I guess it was ignorance/lack of knowledge about those countries that brought them to that 'conclusion'.

Well.... at least somebody understood what I was referring to.

sorry, but i just have to flag up the fact that you're seemingly comparing Qatar, a country that a few years back was one big sand dune, to the ancient cultures of Japan and Korea, with their rich heritages and many, many millions of people, cultural and technological accomplishments, legacies of artistic and scientific brilliance, high levels of human development, well respected civil societies, freedom of the press and so on. who the hell said Japan/Korea had no culture or atmosphere? idiotic in the extreme.

qatar is just a few dozen rich royals who probably live in london or paris paying off some corrupt bastards in order to stage an event that they should never have even been considered for. Japan and Korea are some of the most well respected and most well developed countries on the planet. it's kind of like comparing newcastle with sunderland...

What’s idiotic is your totally irrelevant and off the point post. Frankly, I couldn’t care less about those factors that you mentioned. Stick to football, thanks.

When nessy asks “how any culture and atmosphere is going to be generated in the place” I instantly thought about the atmosphere and the passion in the stadiums.  This is what I was certainly referring to. I don’t know how off the pitch events held a thousand miles away is going to spoil your enjoyment of the world cup.

f***ing hell…. only few weeks back there was a thread saying politics and religion shouldn’t mix with football.  Were you one of those people that agreed with that, by any chance?

It shouldn't, but can't see what that's got to do with what he posted.

Whats idiotic is your totally irrelevant and off the point post. Frankly, I couldnt care less about those factors that you mentioned. Stick to football, thanks.

When nessy asks how any culture and atmosphere is going to be generated in the place I instantly thought about the atmosphere and the passion in the stadiums.  This is what I was certainly referring to. I dont know how off the pitch events held a thousand miles away is going to spoil your enjoyment of the world cup.

f***ing hell. only few weeks back there was a thread saying politics and religion shouldnt mix with football.  Were you one of those people that agreed with that, by any chance?

It shouldn't, but can't see what that's got to do with what he posted.

Well, if you had read the thread you would notice posts from him and others referring to Qatar's lack of human rights, blah blah blah. Double standards....end of.

The more I think about it, the more Qatar seems a step too far. I could see the case for Russia, in that putting on a World Cup would leave a lasting legacy for the country, in terms of stadia, transport, hotels etc. Once Qatar have put it on, it'll all get dismantled, or fall into disuse.

I know there's this idea of the stadiums being reconstructed in other countries, but that's not an idea Ive come across before, and the logistical problems seem huge.