Not worthy of a thread - 2018 FIFA World Cup edition

OzzieMandias
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is it controversial to suggest that those involved in the bid have completely f***ed up this opportunity?

After Sepp Blatter branded it the "best bid" i suggest not.

He'll have said that to each country man. :lol:

So if we f*cked up the opportunity - other than the speculative stuff about bribes etc how exactly did we f*ck it up?

I dunno, that's why I asked.

Just seems like there's a lot of external factors getting the blame, then we only get one vote.  Surely something has gone wrong somewhere.

I think people are seriously underestimating Qatar. I stopped there on the way to India a few years ago, looks a really well developing country. Their GDP per capita is double ours - it's going to be a breathtaking World Cup.

You mean in that we actually had a bid on making this the best football tournament rather than getting involved in politics, bribes, FIFA arse-kissing, etc?

You seriously believe that's why we didn't get it? Because we had the most honest bid? :lol:

I think people are seriously underestimating Qatar. I stopped there on the way to India a few years ago, looks a really well developing country. Their GDP per capita is double ours - it's going to be a breathtaking World Cup.

at 40degrees it may well do that.

They'll just buy in some cold weather.

The temperature aside ...

my take on it is that the panorama prog had no effect, putin never turned up as he knew the result and as i I posted earlier the qulaity of the bids were of distant secondary importance  to how much fifa officials can make out of ths.

You mean in that we actually had a bid on making this the best football tournament rather than getting involved in politics, bribes, FIFA arse-kissing, etc?

You seriously believe that's why we didn't get it? Because we had the most honest bid? :lol:

No but if it was down to the actual infrastructure, stadia, commercial potential, sell-outs, presentation, etc. (which something like this should be), then we'd have won this hands down.

No but if it was down to the actual infrastructure, stadia, commercial potential, sell-outs, presentation, etc. (which something like this should be), then we'd have won this hands down.

then again you'd end up with the same countries hosting it all the time.

i can make an argument for russia. huge country thats never had the world cup, the change it could bring to the country and i've no doubt the stadia will be very good......however i believe it's been bought rather than for philanthropic reasons.

i can make an argument for russia. huge country thats never had the world cup, the change it could bring to the country and i've no doubt the stadia will be very good......however i believe it's been bought rather than for philanthropic reasons.

That's a fair point, but when we'll have had South Africa, Brazil, Russia, Qatar & Australia/USA/Asian country, that's 20 years of "spreading the game around".

Yeah, Russia I can understand. I'm more angry with that decision because I don't think I'll fancy going to it, whereas any of the other bidders would certainly be a great place to go for a World Cup. Qatar is just blatantly a terrible decision.

That's a fair point, but when we'll have had South Africa, Brazil, Russia, Qatar & Australia/USA/Asian country, that's 20 years of "spreading the game around".

In countries where football is already the most popular sport (maybe with the exception of athletics/gymnastics in Russia).

Canny easy to retain a high GDP/capita when your population is little bigger than that of Tyneside. It's smaller than the Falkland Islands ffs, it's barely a country. What next, Isle of Man 2034?

Canny easy to retain a high GDP/capita when your population is little bigger than that of Tyneside.

And floating on oil.

Canny easy to retain a high GDP/capita when your population is little bigger than that of Tyneside.

That will be there strength though. Imagine a World Cup where there will be little than a few hours travel from one end of the country to the other. It's also important to consider the population growth the country has experienced (in the last 10 years the population has doubled) and will continue to experience. The population is around 1.3m, by 2022, who knows maybe 4/5m?

These 'OPEC' arab states are going to leave us in the dust in the next twenty or so years. Seriously, compare their development to ours. It's embarrassing for us, but this is the era we live in ...

It's also important to consider Asia. The likes of India and China, a third of the world's population between them will only be 4/5 flight hours away. Asia is turning into the future of football, lucrative, emerging markets will be where the money is whilst Europe is dragging itself out of the shit we put ourselves in. Football in no longer solely European, like it or lump it.