Chris Hughton

stozo

Is one of the main reasons we are having the success we have now, reshaped the ethos of our squad at a time when we were at our lowest and went about it with the utmost class. Apparently has done a very good job at Birmingham too, has the potential to be a top manager.

Birmingham went down, were ripped apart and he was very close to getting them back up. Did a fantastic job for them last season as he has done for us.

They finished 4th with one of the best squads in the league. 'Fantastic' my left nut.

A better squad than Southampton, West Ham and Reading?

I didn't say the best. There's an argument for them having a better squad than Reading, and certainly the rest of the teams in the league.

Is one of the main reasons we are having the success we have now, reshaped the ethos of our squad at a time when we were at our lowest and went about it with the utmost class. Apparently has done a very good job at Birmingham too, has the potential to be a top manager.

Birmingham went down, were ripped apart and he was very close to getting them back up. Did a fantastic job for them last season as he has done for us.

They finished 4th with one of the best squads in the league. 'Fantastic' my left nut.

I didn't say the best. There's an argument for them having a better squad than Reading, and certainly the rest of the teams in the league.

So there's an argument for them being the fourth best team in the league?

So there's an argument for them being the fourth best team in the league?

Yeah, which doesn't make finishing 4th a 'fantastic job'.

I'm not normally one to go on about Europa League games affecting teams so much, but Birmingham played 62 games this season. Pretty impressive to have them 4th IMO.

My feelings too. If it was just an average season then 4th would be a disappointment for that team. However, if he doesn't manage it next season I think it'd be fair to say there'll be question marks. Under the assumption they don't rip the team up too much before next season.

He's got his failings but he would do a good job I think. I don't think him playing Nolan is an argument against his ability as a manager either, who else did we have at that point? Nolan scored what, 12 goals? Our main objective was survival. If we had better players available (ie a Cabaye) then I think yes, that would be a valid criticism.

Yeah, a lot of games last season for Birmingham, seemed to have them going on a good run near the end though when they were knocked out.

He's got his failings but he would do a good job I think. I don't think him playing Nolan is an argument against his ability as a manager either, who else did we have at that point? Nolan scored what, 12 goals? Our main objective was survival. If we had better players available (ie a Cabaye) then I think yes, that would be a valid criticism.

Yeah, a lot of games last season for Birmingham, seemed to have them going on a good run near the end though when they were knocked out.

Guthrie who was nothing like the player he has been this season.

Maybe I am missing something but Birminghams squad is far from great either.

We will agree to disagree, maybe some of the players in that squad would have been good a few years ago but apart from Redmond there really isn't anyone who stands out.

He went there and the club was in financial termoil, they sold their better players (and it wasn't like when we shifted the gutless wankers who didn't want to be here while we were still fighting against relegation), a lot thought they would struggle, he had to rebuild with little to spend, had to contend with the additional European games and still managed to get them within touching distance of promotion. They finished one place below West Ham who had a far superior squad and spending power.

To me that is a fantastic job, not a perfect one but a bloody good effort.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham_City#Current_squad

Wow, what a squad. :lol:

Pardew played Nolan in every game too he was available for btw, and rightly so.

Do you think that squad shouldn't be finishing in the top 4?

And like you weren't winging about Nolan not being substituted on occasion. Short memory.

That squad? You say that like I'm supposed to have heard of any of them before this season other than one or two. He had to put that team together after nearly their entire first XI fucked off.

What are you on about? Ok, how many times did Pardew bring Nolan off if that's the all-important issue? I've had a quick look, I count once, on 86 minutes.

And like you weren't winging about Nolan not being substituted on occasion. Short memory.

That squad? You say that like I'm supposed to have heard of any of them before this season other than one or two. He had to put that team together after nearly their entire first XI fucked off.

What are you on about? Ok, how many times did Pardew bring Nolan off if that's the all-important issue? I've had a quick look, I count once, on 86 minutes.

I think 'with that squad' is based on them being a Premier League club that was relegated because there is very little quality in that squad.

That squad? You say that like I'm supposed to have heard of any of them before this season other than one or two. He had to put that team together after nearly their entire first XI f***ed off.

Why bring Pardew into it? For whatever reason I remember a few of us speculating that Pardew didn't really rate Nolan and it wasn't a total shock when he was sold. Hughton was scared to take him off and you know it.

Brum had an OK season. Stop trying to make a decent job into some sort of achievement just because it's your hero. I remember you saying he'd end up a top manager when he was sacked from us.

birmingham essentially lost an entire squad after going down and had to build a new one almost from scratch, played an obscene amount of games over the season, and had their owner arrested, the club accounts investigated, administration looming all season etc.

could quite easily have been a scenario where they went into freefall. any manager who could manage to stablise them into mid-table would've done a very good job, so to get them into the play-offs was fantastic.

That squad? You say that like I'm supposed to have heard of any of them before this season other than one or two. He had to put that team together after nearly their entire first XI f***ed off.

Why bring Pardew into it? For whatever reason I remember a few of us speculating that Pardew didn't really rate Nolan and it wasn't a total shock when he was sold. Hughton was scared to take him off and you know it.

Brum had an OK season. Stop trying to make a decent job into some sort of achievement just because it's your hero. I remember you saying he'd end up a top manager when he was sacked from us.

:lol: Because you said he's not a Premier League manager because he wouldn't take Nolan off... same as Pardew. Canny obvious, no?

My hero. :lol: You're so childish and pathetic, don't know why I even bother conversing with you.

He's not a Premier League boss because he's cowardly. Making Nolan the focus of the side - which Pardew ended - was a symptom of that.

Wasn't Carroll the focus of the side? Nolan didn't do too bad a job mind and given the options available I would say he was used pretty effectively :dontknow:

He's not a Premier League boss because he's cowardly. Making Nolan the focus of the side - which Pardew ended - was a symptom of that.

Wasn't Carroll the focus of the side? Nolan didn't do too bad a job mind and given the options available I would say he was used pretty effectively :dontknow:

So if you wanted a manager to assert himself amongst strong personalities you'd chose Hughton? Serious question, btw.

My personal opinion is that he would be a good appointment.

When you were relegated, I thought he did a great job in gelling you into a team for your promotion charge, yes we played with more flair, but your were very solid and deserved Champions, at the start of that season, I thought a good start was vital for you otherwise you may struggle, he did a great job in getting that and building momnetum and team ethic.

Not sure that we will appoint him, but thanks for your views.

Good luck next season, well, apart from two games!  :D