Alan Pardew

JH

Anyone else see this season becoming like 2006/2007 under Roeder?

Nah. At this current point in time, I'm still somewhat cautiously optimistic that this season will go well.

We actually finished comfortably mid-table that season despite having fuck all for a squad didn't we?

It's just that our standards were a lot higher than they are now.

recall we had a shitload of injuries in that season, the fact we weren't dragged into a relegation battle was amazing

Anyone else see this season becoming like 2006/2007 under Roeder?

Nah. At this current point in time, I'm still somewhat cautiously optimistic that this season will go well.

We actually finished comfortably mid-table that season despite having fuck all for a squad didn't we?

It's just that our standards were a lot higher than they are now.

A couple of out-of-character away wins at Spurs and Sheffield United saved us, like. We were just about good enough not to go down. Some of the home results. :facepalm:

Pardew absolutely pisses on Roeder as a manager. Total non-contest. The squad being small and shite was in no small part down to Roeder, n'all.

Roeder blew £16m on Duff and Martins when we were crying out for a couple of defenders. The Martins purchase, arguably we needed him, but Duff was an absolutely pointless luxury buy.

The bargain basement aquisition of Bernard on a free to try and fix the defence. :lol:

Roeder blew £16m on Duff and Martins when we were crying out for a couple of defenders. The Martins purchase, arguably we needed him, but Duff was an absolutely pointless luxury buy.

The bargain basement aquisition of Bernard on a free to try and fix the defence. :lol:

I'd say that was our most frustrating summer, cos we'd finished well the previous year. Arguably 03/04, when we only brought in Bowyer, but there was a lot of quality in the squad already there (don't deny that a couple more big signings would have given us another Champions League place the following year).

The one under Roeder was a complete joke. Sibierski, Rossi and Bernard. Pretty sure we were offered Robbie Keane and Sol Campbell at fair prices, that summer? Campbell, at the time, was exactly what we needed. Went to Pompey for nowt instead and was a rock. Meanwhile we plodded through with a shite Titus Bramble and a worse Steven Taylor. Plus Huntington and Ramage. Babayaro and Carr as the first choice full-backs, in the meantime. :lol:

Miracle how we didn't go down that year. Oba and Dyer saved us.

Tbh I'm pretty sure Roeder has always maintained that Duff was not his signing and that the deal was done by "those above".

That night in Alkmaar is probably the lowest point since I 'properly' started following NUFC. It ranks alongside going down. The manner in which we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory was staggering; Dyer's fucking shit miss when he rounded the keeper, Bramble's piss-poor marking on the second goal, Scotty Parker's goal ruled out in the dying minutes for fuck all, Carr ducking out at the last minute and essentially forcing us to hang Huntington out to dry at left-back, Roeder's baffling substitutions, just argh. The whole thing is vivid still, to me.

I even remember just having a terrible feeling at the stage of that well harsh penalty awarded against S.Taylor in the home leg when someone stotted it off him from point-blank range - Given saved, Bramble made a mint tackle, and the cunts still netted.

Roeder was absolutely finished from the moment he declared "we'll settle for 0-0" in Alkmaar, especially with their home record. I could go on for fucking hours about this shit. :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

The QPR performance was as poor as anything Allardyce, Souness or Roeder through up. Our football under Pardew has, in the main, been turgid shit. We are relying on hard work, team spirit and a reasonably settled and solid defence. We need far more to advance. Pardew may know what he needs to do but I'm not too sure he has the ability to put together such a side much less get it playing well. His substitutions and decisions from the dugout suggest that and worry me a lot.

That night in Alkmaar is probably the lowest point since I 'properly' started following NUFC. It ranks alongside going down. The manner in which we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory was staggering; Dyer's fucking shit miss when he rounded the keeper, Bramble's piss-poor marking on the second goal, Scotty Parker's goal ruled out in the dying minutes for fuck all, Carr ducking out at the last minute and essentially forcing us to hang Huntington out to dry at left-back, Roeder's baffling substitutions, just argh. The whole thing is vivid still, to me.

I even remember just having a terrible feeling at the stage of that well harsh penalty awarded against S.Taylor in the home leg when someone stotted it off him from point-blank range - Given saved, Bramble made a mint tackle, and the cunts still netted.

Roeder was absolutely finished from the moment he declared "we'll settle for 0-0" in Alkmaar, especially with their home record. I could go on for fucking hours about this shit. :lol:

True. We should have gone through that night. Good chance of winning the Cup that season. Same like in 2005 (iirc) against Lisbon - we should and could have won the UEFA cup looking at the teams that were still in it.

The QPR performance was as poor as anything Allardyce, Souness or Roeder through up. Our football under Pardew has, in the main, been turgid shit. We are relying on hard work, team spirit and a reasonably settled and solid defence. We need far more to advance. Pardew may know what he needs to do but I'm not too sure he has the ability to put together such a side much less get it playing well. His substitutions and decisions from the dugout suggest that and worry me a lot.

Bollocks.

The 3-0 loss at Man City under Souness

The 1-0 loss at Derby under Fat Sam

The 0-2 loss at home to Blackburn under Roeder

The 0-0 at home with Boro under Roeder

The 2-1 loss at Reading under Fat Sam

and particularly...

The 0-1 loss at home to Sheff Utd under Roeder

were all worse imo. There's probably more if I sat and gave it a minute's thought.

and particularly...

were all worse imo. There's probably more if I sat and gave it a minute's thought.

Away against Villa in 2009 under Shearer, probably as well.

That night in Alkmaar is probably the lowest point since I 'properly' started following NUFC. It ranks alongside going down. The manner in which we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory was staggering; Dyer's f***ing s*** miss when he rounded the keeper, Bramble's p*ss-poor marking on the second goal, Scotty Parker's goal ruled out in the dying minutes for f*** all, Carr ducking out at the last minute and essentially forcing us to hang Huntington out to dry at left-back, Roeder's baffling substitutions, just argh. The whole thing is vivid still, to me.

I even remember just having a terrible feeling at the stage of that well harsh penalty awarded against S.Taylor in the home leg when someone stotted it off him from point-blank range - Given saved, Bramble made a mint tackle, and the c***s still netted.

Roeder was absolutely finished from the moment he declared "we'll settle for 0-0" in Alkmaar, especially with their home record. I could go on for f***ing hours about this s***. :lol:

:sadnod:

and particularly...

Away against Villa in 2009 under Shearer, probably as well.

Aye, that too. The sad thing about that one was despite the utterly abject performance, with Guthrie and Lovenkrands on either wing (:lol:) we still could have snatched a point and the goal was a tad unfortunate. Villa were already on the sun loungers.

Guest Howaythetoon

I said as poor, not worse. Given the opposition, our players and our good start to the season, to spend so much of the match backing off, hoofing it and generally running around like headless chickens causing them no problems of any real note outside of Best's shot (which he crafted himself), was painful to watch and reminicent of the bad games those particular managers mentioned oversaw. We were better when we beat Fulham away under Big Sam (marginally), that's how, err, bad we were against QPR. The worry however was that a few tactical changes in terms of substitutions and formation could have made all the difference but Pardwew didn't have a clue. It was obvious after 30 minutes Shola needed replaced with another midfielder for example.

Guest Dontooner

Ain't sure Pardew has an attractive and productive system to play to , however some of his tactical changes has saved him more often than not. Least he sees those problems when we are being overran, unlike some of our past managers making excuses game after game.

We do have naturally gifted players, that could play football even without a manager instructions...Thats where i banging my buck on.

Not really siding Pardew but his coaching has calm our defense, probably why under his regime we seem have a better chance not throwing the towel in straight when we meet the top 4-6 teams

The QPR performance was as poor as anything Allardyce, Souness or Roeder through up. Our football under Pardew has, in the main, been turgid s***. We are relying on hard work, team spirit and a reasonably settled and solid defence. We need far more to advance. Pardew may know what he needs to do but I'm not too sure he has the ability to put together such a side much less get it playing well. His substitutions and decisions from the dugout suggest that and worry me a lot.

and particularly...

The 0-0 at home to Charlton under Roeder. They were awful at the time.

Guest VaVaVoom

Give your head a fuckin shake man.

The QPR performance was shit. No getting away from it, we were awful.....going forward.

The football under AP in my opinion has been refreshingly good. Better than CH and JFK. Possibly better than KK's second stint to.

We have been far more organised defensively since AP arrived but still conceded goals late on. This season we are again better defensively and that shows in the fact we have only conceded once. At Home. We are solid away, we are more resolute and it seems we can set games out too.

Back end of last season we played some nice attacking football whilst missing a key striker and Barfa. This season we have been solid, organised and have shown glimpses of whats to come once Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Obertan, Mavreaux, Jonas and Tiote find an understanding and are fully settled. Goals will come from Ba, he has a good record in the PL, so does Best. That there should be our 1st choice pairing until Barfa is un and running.

Im confident that with a little bit of patience we will only see the side get better and better over the next few months. Cabaye and Ben Arfa are going to provide guile and flair through the middle. Tiote will be an anchorman covering ground and chasing everythin. I'd like to see Marveux as a regular on the left and Jonas a chance to impress/improve on the right. Obertan off the bench for an impact in the second half. The two upront are hungry and have a good mix between them. Power, Arial ability, a bit of skill and a good PL record.

Im also looking forward to seeing what sort of impact Santon will have at LB. I think he could forge a quality understanding with Marveaux on the left.

I'd think....hope AP's first team would look like this once everyone is fit.

---Krul---

Simpson---S.Taylor---Coloccini ©---Santon

Cabaye---Tiote

Jonas--------Ben Arfa-----Marveaux

---Ba---

Bench: Harper, Williamson, R.Taylor, Gosling, Obertan, Shola and Best.

That side could have us in the top 6 at christmas.

I have confidence in AP, Carver and Stone.

I said as poor, not worse. Given the opposition, our players and our good start to the season, to spend so much of the match backing off, hoofing it and generally running around like headless chickens causing them no problems of any real note outside of Best's shot (which he crafted himself), was painful to watch and reminicent of the bad games those particular managers mentioned oversaw. We were better when we beat Fulham away under Big Sam (marginally), that's how, err, bad we were against QPR. The worry however was that a few tactical changes in terms of substitutions and formation could have made all the difference but Pardwew didn't have a clue. It was obvious after 30 minutes Shola needed replaced with another midfielder for example.

Yep, particularly the bit in bold.

Was that the 0-0 when we had a half-fit Shola toiling away on his own for the whole game, or the 0-0 when Duff played alongside Rossi as a centre forward? :lol:

Rossi & Duff. We created one chance all game. Duff rounded their keeper and sliced it towards goal, Rossi steered it on to the crossbar from 1 yard.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Was that the 0-0 when we had a half-fit Shola toiling away on his own for the whole game, or the 0-0 when Duff played alongside Rossi as a centre forward? :lol:

Duff and Rossi. Think the next game we lost 1-0 at SJP to Sheffield United.