Alan Pardew

JH

I actually really dislike Pardew. He comes across as a smug arrogant cock despite having not really done anything in his career to justify such an attitude (perhaps come the end of this season he may have something to crow about.) However he is doing a great job here and his first year or so in charge has been excellent.

He's a Cockney.

All Cockney's come across as smug, arrogant cocks.

Guest Chubby Jason

I actually really dislike Pardew. He comes across as a smug arrogant cock despite having not really done anything in his career to justify such an attitude (perhaps come the end of this season he may have something to crow about.) However he is doing a great job here and his first year or so in charge has been excellent.

He's a Cockney.

All Cockney's come across as smug, arrogant cocks.

http://mycoral.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Harry-Redknapp-wink.jpg

I'm counting the days until Pardew is sacked. Sometimes the first impression is the right one and mine was formed when Pardew pandered to the East End rags and dropped Mascherano and Tevez because he just didn't know how to use them. His best results have come when he's reverted to the long ball because that's where his heart lies, but our buying policy is light years ahead and he's struggling to incorporate modern day footballers into his '80s mindset. I don't know why he took the players to Tenerife tbh, he should have took them to Butlins.

while i think this is way ott i have the same gut feeling, in the same way i felt that hughton had took us as far as he was going around the time he was bagged

a better manager could get more out of what we've got imo, but that's a blindingly simplistic way to look at things - for a start how many "better managers" could work under MA and DL?

Mojo, TRon is being ridiculous in his comments, way OTT as per.

Yes, it is overwhelmingly likely that (at the moment) Pardew is not an 'elite' manager who can guide his team past the 'big boys' on a consistent basis - he also seems to suffer from the team 'underperforming' as a group when the expectations are for them to win the match (it could be said that previous wins from this position have been down to individual brilliance rather than an overall good team performance).

However, to say that you're counting the days down until he's sacked [TRon] :facepalm: Pardew fits our club in the current system and where we're at. We've not had a top half finish in the Premiership for 5 years, one of those years spent in the Championship. We've not won a trophy for 19223123years and not contested a major final since the 1970s*.

This is not to say that we can't win trophies or challenge for titles, or that we don't deserve to, but it's a bit rich to expect us to be hiring world-class managers and signing world-class players - ask yourself [with your b&w specs off]: why would they want to come?

We need to re-establish ourselves as a genuine Premiership team, 3+ seasons of consecutive top 6 finishes and we become a regular European team. This means we not only earn more money through TV + prize money, but we become a more attractive prospect for those players with the quality of Ben Arfa (but without the alleged dodgy temperament/baggage).

When we get to this stage, we may well find that Pardew hasn't evolved or adapted and we've surpassed his ceiling. In that case, in the same way Hughton was sent packing when it became clear he wasn't going to kick on, it'll be time to wave goodbye to Pards - but we have to get there first.

Pards has shown some interesting ideas and some new ways of working which have seemingly benefitted the club this season (we're over-performing everyone's initial expectations for this season), so there's definitely a lot of good things for him to work with and expand upon over the second half of the season. Now that we've achieved Premiership safety (or at least 4 points from it), there's now a cushion for him to try installing his own way of playing (pass + move, fluid football) in a competitive environment with the players he's been working with for over a year. He can introduce some of the youngsters that have impressed him and try other players in slightly different positions to give them a chance. We've also got the rest of the season to help Cisse bed into the club, with no immediate pressure for him to score.

He's not perfect and he has some points which look to have cost us wins this season; however, we have to give managers the chance to evolve and learn from their mistakes before we start praying for their departure. Only if we were dragged into the bottom three, with a team looking bereft of leadership or ideas, would I consider sacking a manager 18months into his tenure.

Yesterday's performance and result were both disappointing, a cup run would look to be our best shot of success but it wasn't to be this season as we've underperformed in both cups, despite playing reasonably strong teams in the games that we've been knocked out - similar to last season. If Pardew is genuine with his comments about wanting to go on another cup run (a la WHU) then he needs to work out how to get his players on the same wavelength, because they're playing in the cups like they'd rather be at home .

*I don't count two no-shows at the old Wembley in 98 + 99 :p

Pardew didn't do enough to get us the win against Brighton yesterday, his subs late on were right people but in exchange for the wrong people. Just felt Brighton were not having that great a game, we should have been better in the final third. For me, I'd rather have Obertan/Raylor on the wing and Ben Arfa up front than having Ben Arfra on the wing and Shola up front. Shola did win a few things in the air, but his lack of movement is so shocking it's killing our game and limiting the numbers of players getting in the box. Strikers are supposed to link up play and move in to threatening positions to finish a move. Shola can link up, but he can't move afterwards so he almost renders himself out of action unless our tempo drops so much he can catch up again.

Can't wait to see us with Demba and Cisse.

Pardew didn't do enough to get us the win against Brighton yesterday, his subs late on were right people but in exchange for the wrong people. Just felt Brighton were not having that great a game, we should have been better in the final third. For me, I'd rather have Obertan/Raylor on the wing and Ben Arfa up front than having Ben Arfra on the wing and Shola up front. Shola did win a few things in the air, but his lack of movement is so shocking it's killing our game and limiting the numbers of players getting in the box. Strikers are supposed to link up play and move in to threatening positions to finish a move. Shola can link up, but he can't move afterwards so he almost renders himself out of action unless our tempo drops so much he can catch up again.

Can't wait to see us with Demba and Cisse.

The lack of motivation and sense of urgency was more troubling than the fact Shola was isolated.

FWIW, I thought he had their centrebacks half a foot under him any time the ball was in the air, just no-one around for him to work with. Had two good chances to score, one of them unluckily deflected past the post. His link up play was much better than in the previous two games and he set up four or five good shooting opportunities to Best and the midfield.

Too easy just to blame Shola or blame Pards for playing Shola/keeping him on the pitch.

Did not understand the thought behind those subs one bit at all. Bar ferguson. Nothing that was going to ever inject any pace or control. I agree in that Obertan would have injected some of that needed pace and would have considered him long before the other two.

Still not sure why he didn't gave Lovenkrands and Obertan a chance yesterday.

Because neither has shown any evidence this season to suggest they are up to it?

This season we were always going to have mixed fortunes. Start of the season my main aim was for us to show signs of turning into an attractive team. We've shown glimpses which gives me massive hope for the next few seasons and we were never going to transform from a direct style, to slick carpet football overnight. Even more so when for every Cabaye, HBA and Santon, there's still a Simpson, Ameobi or R.Taylor. Big players will leave, but the type of player signed lately gives me faith that the replacement will help improve the way we play, while at the same time fazing out the weaker, limited players who enforce us to go longer at times, replacing them with more players in the mould of Santon and Cabaye who will help us play more attractive stuff more of the time. He has his flaws, but he's done far more good than bad, and will continue to do so imo. 

My view is you could put most any manager in charge of these players and get similar results. All he has to do is pick the right team and formation and he seems really confused by that. Interesting he had Ferguson on the bench yesterday because I remember a few games ago asking why we didn't have any cover for left back yet had Best and Shola on the bench just in case one big b****** wasn't enough. His decisions are bizarre tbh. In his defence he's a good talker and probably a good man motivator.

Best on the wing and Shola up front FFS.

After all we as a club have been through, you actually think like that? Really ?  :lol:

Guthrie, Raylor, Best, Simpson, Williamson & even Taylor. All of these players were slated before Pardew, all have improved & played solid parts in our current position. We have equalled our clean sheets from last season in half the time. Before Saylors injury & our only backup being Perch we had one of the best defensive records in England.

Our best signing of the window in Ba & probably the main reason we're up joint on points with 5th was Pardews signing. When few other clubs would take the risk.

Not to mention having to deal with Ashley & Llambias.

But yeah, anyone could do the same. Embarrassingly naive stuff.

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/people3/jan2012/7/4/pics-image-4-135036102.jpg

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/people3/jan2012/2/5/pics-image-5-638155604.jpg

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/people3/jan2012/3/1/pics-image-7-297302646.jpg

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/people3/jan2012/8/9/pics-image-6-351199270.jpg

:lol: