Alan Pardew

JH

I suddenly got a question (not defending Pardew): what teams in EPL can consistently dominate the game throughout the 90 mins? Even against the teams like QPR and WBA?

All the teams in the top seven apart from us.

I can ensure you Chelsea and Liverpool didn't.

Just watch Liverpool dominate possession when they come to St James Park later on this season.

My point is "90 mins", especially after scoring the 1st goal.

I spent a few hours on Liv forum and they were complaining EXACTLY THE SAME thing about Dalglish. Decent 1st, rubbish 2nd, sit back against shit teams.  EXACTLY THE SAME.

In def of Pardew the first half hour was fine.

I didn't really think so tbh. We still looked rushed but we had some good moments when we got the ball in forward positions.

That is for TT, sorry both. Name a manager.

Like I said hard. Whatever name I give you there will be a problem with it.

Dragan Stojkovic.

That's a good shout, my only concerns are his language and his understanding towards the physical aspects of EPL.

But then would people here accept him now?  Probably no.  Given our current status people would want "established and proven" managers instead of betting on those "unknowns".  Which means we could end up managers like Hodgson.

There's never going to be the perfect manager, there will always be faults somewhere, and i agree with Cajun about being wary of one season wonder mangers as well, even though Rodgers does look a bit special, it could easily fall flat very quickly for him. That was the most outside the box I could muster mind  :lol: though I'm not trying to say I'm on the money with my choice, in fact it changes weekly, but what I do know is this squad will fall apart, never reach it's potential and be attacked by vultures if we stick with a manager who has shown over a lengthy period he's not willing to learn, at all.

It's for the same reason Hughton went and I was understanding With that decision due to him as well not developing fast enough, the board reckoned they needed more experience and went for their choice, but over a year on it's quite obvious moments of quality from players are carrying the club and it's not down to the managers choice or tactics, we all knew at some point we'd outgrow the manager, none of us thought we'd get these kind of players in soon after relegation, maybe it's time to upgrade another part of the team, were in a good position to do so. Harsh, but there's no loyalty in football, as we all know.

End of the season will do me, I really dp think well hang on one more year too long, lose one or two key players and lose the momentum, and by that time won't be able to attract a good a manager as we could this year.

You guys really think hes telling Williamson to boot it? The guy does it becuase hes crap on the ball and cant deal with periods where we sustain pressure. Its got nowt to do with Pardew, we did the same for a period after we scored the 1st goal before HT.

We just miss a few passes, start misscontrolling it, make a few fouls etc Krul gets the ball more so we boot it more, defence becomes more edgy in possession. Its a knock on effect.

He must be telling Williamson and krul to do it. They've done it so much surely he'd have told them to f***ing stop it if he was against it. You don't see him getting angry about it, or saying we need to start passing along the floor more. Essentially it's his fault.

Are you serious?

Of course I'm fuckign serious. What in that sentence suggested I wasn't being? Norwich very nearly scored direct from a Krul kick that was cleared from their half. This was after a couple of other failed attempts at long balls. Is the only thing that'll make you realise how much of a bad tactic it is if the opposition score from it? A better striker and it'd have been 1-1.

we don;t have the players for big long high balls up top, man. We shoudln;t be doing it. Simple as that. Pardew could very easily tell them to stop doing it. It's not like they were under pressure most of the time they were doing it.

"He must be telling Williamson and krul to do it. They've done it so much surely he'd have told them to f***ing stop it if he was against it. You don't see him getting angry about it, or saying we need to start passing along the floor more. Essentially it's his fault."

Williamson. Our only choice. Our only decent header at the back. Whatever he did we cannot drop him. To say this is Pardew's fault is way way OTT. It doesn't make sense.

I'm not saying that fact Williamson has been canny poor is Pardew's fault. I'm saying the amount of times we're just fucking hoofing it up top is. It's very easy as a manager if your players are just lumping it forward. Here, look... I'll do it... "Lads, we have to stop lumping it up top, we just lose possession each time. If it's a necessity then fair enough, but a lot of the time it's not. We need to keep possession if we're going to win games"

Seems reasonable to me. And very much valid. All I'm sayign if he doesn't point it out, or tell the players to stop doing it, which  don't think he is, despite me not being at training, then he's allowing it. Which is bad management.

I'm not anti Pardew fwiw. I think he has done well but has definitely lost his way a little recently. But we're losing possession so much at the minute and putting our already poor back line under more pressure than we need to. It's up to him to change this, and he isn't.

just curious. is it really that difficult to keep hold of the ball? is not rocket science.  just pass the f***ing ball and move, keep it in the midfield and pass it around.

it gets diffcult when teams try to pass and move and walk it into the goal, im not asking for that.

all i expect is our team to be able to string half a dozen passes together in midfield now and again and relieve some pressure off themselves.

f***ing hell , either these players are completely s*** or the manager is. or maybe even both.

Actually, when the opponents have 4 players upfront for pressing, most of the time it's either hoofing or a decent dribbling from the side backs. 

If your opponents are pressing forward away from home they are leaving themselves open to being countered if you have the team set up to exploit it.

Exactly why I said we fucking need another side back in order to stop hoofing the ball. That is very risky pressing IF opponent has a decent side backs to exploit it.  That's the reason why Ferguson gave so much opportunities to Rafael. Not a great defender but an excellent attacking full back to ensure that the team can "potentially exploit" it.  This won't happen because the opponents won't dare to press that aggressive.

While what we have is Simpson. 

The problem is so bad that I'd rather Jonas playing left back and Santon right back to solve it.

Picked his team out of a hat today. Had we played against a team with any sort of attacking threat or intent then we wouldn't have won this. Substitutions were woeful as well. Getting fed up with him tbh.

Read this sort of nonsense so many times (we are 28 'lucky' games into the season), how were the subs woeful btw?

It's not nonsense mate. He took our best (only) attacking threat off for Shola and stuck him on the wing, whilst persisting with Simpson on the pitch. His decision to bring on Gosling wasn't a bad one, however I would have preferred to of seen Vuckic.

Today we played completely lop-sided. Why oh why oh why did he play Cabaye wide left? We played practically the whole game with three central midfielders and a right winger. So much for all this 'protection' crap he spouts on about- he played a winger LB and gave him no protection ffs!

I never said we're 'lucky' to be where we are, but we're in bloody great danger of blowing all that hard work at the start of the season with baffling tactical decisions and below-par performances.

I don't know how people can defend Pardew after that shite.  We were garbage at home again, I don't think for one minute that we're not capable of playing better than that.

You guys really think hes telling Williamson to boot it? The guy does it becuase hes crap on the ball and cant deal with periods where we sustain pressure. Its got nowt to do with Pardew, we did the same for a period after we scored the 1st goal before HT.

We just miss a few passes, start misscontrolling it, make a few fouls etc Krul gets the ball more so we boot it more, defence becomes more edgy in possession. Its a knock on effect.

He must be telling Williamson and krul to do it. They've done it so much surely he'd have told them to f***ing stop it if he was against it. You don't see him getting angry about it, or saying we need to start passing along the floor more. Essentially it's his fault.

Are you serious?

Of course I'm fuckign serious. What in that sentence suggested I wasn't being? Norwich very nearly scored direct from a Krul kick that was cleared from their half. This was after a couple of other failed attempts at long balls. Is the only thing that'll make you realise how much of a bad tactic it is if the opposition score from it? A better striker and it'd have been 1-1.

we don;t have the players for big long high balls up top, man. We shoudln;t be doing it. Simple as that. Pardew could very easily tell them to stop doing it. It's not like they were under pressure most of the time they were doing it.

"He must be telling Williamson and krul to do it. They've done it so much surely he'd have told them to f***ing stop it if he was against it. You don't see him getting angry about it, or saying we need to start passing along the floor more. Essentially it's his fault."

Williamson. Our only choice. Our only decent header at the back. Whatever he did we cannot drop him. To say this is Pardew's fault is way way OTT. It doesn't make sense.

I'm not saying that fact Williamson has been canny poor is Pardew's fault. I'm saying the amount of times we're just f***ing hoofing it up top is. It's very easy as a manager if your players are just lumping it forward. Here, look... I'll do it... "Lads, we have to stop lumping it up top, we just lose possession each time. If it's a necessity then fair enough, but a lot of the time it's not. We need to keep possession if we're going to win games"

Seems reasonable to me. And very much valid. All I'm sayign if he doesn't point it out, or tell the players to stop doing it, which  don't think he is, despite me not being at training, then he's allowing it. Which is bad management.

I'm not anti Pardew fwiw. I think he has done well but has definitely lost his way a little recently. But we're losing possession so much at the minute and putting our already poor back line under more pressure than we need to. It's up to him to change this, and he isn't.

But that's not applicable to today's match.  It is not like "oh yeah I can short pass to Cabaye/anyone or just hoof it".  All your short options were blocked, you have someone that is running at you, you'd either be an Arfa or just hoof it for safety.  And then your choice is?

For players like Santon, an Italy International, he can do the former.  What about Simpson then?

Williamson is another issue.  He is simply hopeless. He has given up himself already. Quite obvious i would say.

Picked his team out of a hat today. Had we played against a team with any sort of attacking threat or intent then we wouldn't have won this. Substitutions were woeful as well. Getting fed up with him tbh.

Read this sort of nonsense so many times (we are 28 'lucky' games into the season), how were the subs woeful btw?

It's not nonsense mate. He took our best (only) attacking threat off for Shola and stuck him on the wing, whilst persisting with Simpson on the pitch. His decision to bring on Gosling wasn't a bad one, however I would have preferred to of seen Vuckic.

Today we played completely lop-sided. Why oh why oh why did he play Cabaye wide left? We played practically the whole game with three central midfielders and a right winger. So much for all this 'protection' crap he spouts on about- he played a winger LB and gave him no protection ffs!

I never said we're 'lucky' to be where we are, but we're in bloody great danger of blowing all that hard work at the start of the season with baffling tactical decisions and below-par performances.

Shola did a fair bit more than most when he came on, almost set up a chance as soon as he was on. Held the ball up well and did a very good job.

Gosling vs Vuckic is just a biased opinion based on very little.

Santon was a sub based on keeping possession and I have no issues with that at all given some of the risky balls HBA was playing.

After williamson dallied on rhe ball resulting in a shot for norwich the camera cuts to pardew who shouts hatem fucking clear it. How about shouting at williamson you fucking idiot. Ben arfa actually retained possession.

I lost it with Pardew when this happened. Absolute arsehole. There was nothing wrong with what HBA did yet he chooses to lambast him and not say anything to Williamson, horrible management.

After williamson dallied on rhe ball resulting in a shot for norwich the camera cuts to pardew who shouts hatem f***ing clear it. How about shouting at williamson you f***ing idiot. Ben arfa actually retained possession.

I lost it with Pardew when this happened. Absolute arsehole. There was nothing wrong with what HBA did yet he chooses to lambast him and not say anything to Williamson, horrible management.

How do you know he didn't have a go at Williamson?  Were you on Pardewcam?

Theres nowt wrong with a player trying to skin the opposition in his own penalty area, no chance that could go wrong. Worked well in the 2nd half when he cleared back it into our own penalty area aswell  :lol:

After williamson dallied on rhe ball resulting in a shot for norwich the camera cuts to pardew who shouts hatem f***ing clear it. How about shouting at williamson you f***ing idiot. Ben arfa actually retained possession.

The camera panned to Pardew after Williamson lost the ball and Pardew was having a go at HBA for not clearing it earlier.

Are you serious?

I'm not saying that fact Williamson has been canny poor is Pardew's fault. I'm saying the amount of times we're just f***ing hoofing it up top is. It's very easy as a manager if your players are just lumping it forward. Here, look... I'll do it... "Lads, we have to stop lumping it up top, we just lose possession each time. If it's a necessity then fair enough, but a lot of the time it's not. We need to keep possession if we're going to win games"

But that's not applicable to today's match.  It is not like "oh yeah I can short pass to Cabaye/anyone or just hoof it".  All your short options were blocked, you have someone that is running at you, you'd either be an Arfa or just hoof it for safety.  And then your choice is?

For players like Santon, an Italy International, he can do the former.  What about Simpson then?

Williamson is another issue.  He is simply hopeless. He has given up himself already. Quite obvious i would say.

All his options were not blocked at all. He didn;t look around for what he could do, he just lumped it as default. Okay we don't have a better defender to replace him with, so you coach him to stop him doing it. You work with another player or two to ensure he has options so we can retain possession. I don;t see how saying 'Williamson is poor so all he can do is hoof it' is a defence. The ball comes straight back. We going to say 'Well Williamson is limited, so he's got to just get rid, so if they score from it it's not Williamson's or Pardew's fault. We just have to accept it'? We'll get nowhere with that. Yes Williamson has to play, but at the same time, Williamson has to keep possession. As does absolutely everyone.

We have European ambitions, and we need to be winning games to ensure we do this so we need to be proactive. Pardew needs to fucking grab a hold and come up with some tactics. He's not at the minute.

I've got stuck on Williamson and he's not even the worst offender. How Krul has been allowed to do this so long is even more unacceptable.

I don't know how people can defend Pardew after that s****.  We were garbage at home again, I don't think for one minute that we're not capable of playing better than that.

:thup:

The first time I've ever come out of a match really disappointed and critical of him.

Thought the line-up was bizarre, the tactics were unbalancing, the substitutions were very questionable and our play from the goal to the final whistle was sloppy, mismatched and generally poor.

Basically the same as the Wovles game, but this time we got two more points.

The camera panned to Pardew after Williamson lost the ball and Pardew was having a go at HBA for not clearing it earlier.

He was right to have a go at HBA.  As he should have done with Williamson.  My point is whether the camera was on Pardew from the very moment that that particular piece of play ended until Pardew had stopped shouting.  I think we both know the answer.

He obviously never said anything to Williamson before or after this happened? :lol:

I don't know how people can defend Pardew after that s****.  We were garbage at home again, I don't think for one minute that we're not capable of playing better than that.

:thup:

The first time I've ever come out of a match really disappointed and critical of him.

Thought the line-up was bizarre, the tactics were unbalancing, the substitutions were very questionable and our play from the goal to the final whistle was sloppy, mismatched and generally poor.

Basically the same as the Wovles game, but this time we got two more points.

I think the line up was odd.  Thought he got the subs right tbh.  I think we would have been incredibly unlucky to have not got 3 points though.

I made a point of watching how Pardew reacted to what happened; he only had a go at HBA.

People can say we don't have defenders who are comfortable with the ball so that's why we hoof it, but to me there's no movement in midfield either. The team looks clueless in possession and I think that reflects on the work we do on the training ground. Pardew doesn't know how to coach passing football IMO.

I made a point of watching how Pardew reacted to what happened; he only had a go at HBA.

:lol: