Alan Pardew

JH

It's too easy to blame "one of those days" too, I think (because it is repetitive).

Let's take United as an example, even though it's not exemplary for this specific season - let's look at the overall picture.

Having won everything there is to win? as manager and players throughout the years, Ferguson has kept the team going. They've had hiccups, yeah, but not to the extent we have (imo). I mean, I'd take 2-0 loss, ok. But 4-0? When goal difference counts? It's just beyond me.

I saw Pards making changes on the sideline, but I think what we do "miss" is a Barton (without hazardous tackles)/Nolan-type of player. A general that can lead the troops through the war, through the midfield. I just couldn't see it today. Without ball we were terrible, no pressure whatsoever. With ball, we couldn't seem to know where to pass it.

And players always stated they weren't "complacent"?! I mean, losing for a better side is one thing, but losing because you couldn't/wouldn't/cared enough to make an impression is another thing. No passion whatsoever today. It was about 10-15 min in the second half there when we had those Cisse chances, but besides that everything was a joke really.

Need 8 points of the 9 remaining, doubt it'll be done.

Impossible to get 8 points from 3 games mate.

Guest Gemmill

I mean, I'd take 2-0 loss, ok. But 4-0? When goal difference counts? It's just beyond me.

:lol: Inconceivable!

It's too easy to blame "one of those days" too, I think (because it is repetitive).

Let's take United as an example, even though it's not exemplary for this specific season - let's look at the overall picture.

Having won everything there is to win? as manager and players throughout the years, Ferguson has kept the team going. They've had hiccups, yeah, but not to the extent we have (imo). I mean, I'd take 2-0 loss, ok. But 4-0? When goal difference counts? It's just beyond me.

I saw Pards making changes on the sideline, but I think what we do "miss" is a Barton (without hazardous tackles)/Nolan-type of player. A general that can lead the troops through the war, through the midfield. I just couldn't see it today. Without ball we were terrible, no pressure whatsoever. With ball, we couldn't seem to know where to pass it.

And players always stated they weren't "complacent"?! I mean, losing for a better side is one thing, but losing because you couldn't/wouldn't/cared enough to make an impression is another thing. No passion whatsoever today. It was about 10-15 min in the second half there when we had those Cisse chances, but besides that everything was a joke really.

Need 8 points of the 9 remaining, doubt it'll be done.

you ARE the weakest link

Alan Pardew: Confidence is still there despite defeat

by Mark Smith, The JournalApr 30 2012

ALAN Pardew insists Newcastle United’s confidence remains intact despite a nightmare weekend of results which sent them sliding out of the top four.

Chelsea’s 6-1 dismantling of Queens Park Rangers and Tottenham’s 2-0 victory over Blackburn yesterday leaves United in fifth on the back of their own 4-0 defeat at Wigan the previous day.

Despite Chelsea now lying just a point behind them, and Spurs taking fourth spot on goal difference, the Magpies travel to Stamford Bridge on Wednesday still in with a realistic shout of a top-four finish.

Whether or not fourth spot ultimately means Champions League football relies on Chelsea blowing the final against Bayern Munich in two and a half weeks’ time, with Pardew admitting: “It certainly got talked about, but there are a million factors you can say about a team.

“I don’t know if that was a factor [at Wigan], is the honest answer, but it is something that is hanging over all those teams who are going for fourth.

Focusing on keeping the wheels turning despite a weekend to forget, he added: “I don’t think confidence is a problem.

“We have just got to make sure we are strong defensively, that we keep in our roles and keep it tight. If we do that we can score goals.

“Saturday is gone, there is nothing we can do to change that and we will go to Chelsea not without any confidence – I can assure you of that.

“We had a bad half at Fulham, and a couple at Tottenham, so it is important we keep it in perspective.”

Chelsea’s unceremonious hammering of QPR yesterday suggested that Newcastle will still have their hands full midweek in the capital despite the Blues having FA Cup and Champions League finals to distract them, although injuries to defensive duo Gary Cahill and David

Luiz offered some small crumbs of comfort.

And after six wins on the bounce Pardew was in no mind to dwell on one off day at the DW Stadium, crediting Wigan for their well-deserved triumph rather than labouring on the shortcomings of his own troops.

With one-time United target Victor Moses putting the Latics two up inside 14 minutes, the manager said: “Wigan’s early goals were the key. We lost our way a little bit in that last 20 minutes of the first half, and that really is unlike us.

“When you have won six in a row you think you are going to get the game back. We chased it and gave them opportunities to get the extra two goals, and then it really was gone.”

Aiming to find the route of the problem, he added: “There are a lot of factors to consider, but the bottom line is that it is very difficult to put your finger on a single reason why.

“Wigan were aggressive, their movement was great and things were coming off for them. I thought the referee didn’t really help us either.

“Sometimes they do and sometimes they don’t, but it all seemed to be going Wigan’s way in the first half.”

With wing-backs Emmerson Boyce and Jean Beausejour freed by a flat back three to fly up and down the channels and supply the ammunition, Pardew credited opposite number Roberto Martinez for a formation change which has pulled them out of the doldrums.

“Yeah, it does cause you a problem,” he said. “They overload the wide areas and pull you around, but I don’t want to say too many negative things about my team because I think that is unfair on Wigan.

“The great beauty of the Premier League is that teams come alive at a certain time of the season, and Wigan are certainly doing that at the moment.

“They did a good job on us, and you couldn’t say that they lacked confidence. Some of their play was very, very good, but for us it is about the next three games.”

Read More http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2012/04/30/alan-pardew-confidence-is-still-there-despite-defeat-61634-30866471/#.T55GnxsHOz4.twitter#ixzz1tVc1PpVM

Champions League push remains on track

by Mark Smith, The JournalApr 30 2012

FABRICIO Coloccini is adamant that Newcastle United’s 4-0 drubbing at Wigan is not going to derail their Champions League push, writes MARK SMITH.

The Magpies travel to Chelsea on Wednesday in a game key to their ambitions of rejoining the European elite, with the skipper confident that Saturday’s North West rout was little more than a flesh wound.

“Yes, it was disappointing,” said Coloccini, whose slip inside the penalty area allowed Victor Moses to poke home the second of his two early goals.

“We played badly, but all we can do now is think about the next game and make sure we take points from it. Arsenal only drew, so we’ll see. We have to show some patience, and it’s a big game at Chelsea now.”

The Blues have Saturday’s FA Cup final as well as the Champions League final to distract attention, but for Coloccini and his Newcastle team-mates their focus is crystal clear.

“It’s like a dream for us, and we still have a chance to fight for it,” said the centre-back, when asked about the prospect of his side returning to Europe’s top tier. “We know we have to get something at Chelsea. We know the Europa League place is already in the bag, so we can push for a top-four finish. Maybe if we play Europa League the young players can get a taste for it, but we want to finish in the top four.”

The open-ness with which Newcastle’s players and their manager are prepared to confront the Champions League issue is a testament to the success of their season, even if Wigan’s first-half blitz on Saturday provided a painful speed-bump along the way.

“They played really well,” admitted Coloccini, who along with Mike Williamson was pulled from pillar to post by a quicksilver home attack.

“It was a tough game. We just have to keep going – we can still do well at Chelsea. We’re having a great season so our confidence is still high.”

Revealing manager Alan Pardew’s post-match reaction, the skipper added: “He was disappointed. We have two days to have a look at where we went wrong, then try to get ready for the next game.”

“We have to carry on and get as many points as we can and see where it leaves us.”

Read More http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2012/04/30/champions-league-push-remains-on-track-61634-30866469/#.T55HG17ub7o.twitter#ixzz1tVclaDau

Good post-match interview giving credit where it's due :thup:

I do love that he is one of the very few that will give fair credit to the opposition. Instead of whining about ref calls or that the loss was undeserved (aka Wenger), he'll point out what was obvious to the everyone else and not demean the fan's intelligence. IMO, that also helps players move on from a dispiriting defeat - instead of spending the next few days thinking about some supposed injustice and moping, can just get on with it and move on to the next one. And he does it adroitly as well, in a way that doesn't suggest that we aren't the better team, just that it was their once-a-lifetime day, which makes it easy for players to shrug it off, not damage their confidence and move on proactively to Chelski. Certainly there are real adjustments to be made behind closed doors, but as far as public voice goes, it makes sense to me.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/may/01/alan-pardew-newcastle-united-chelsea?

Alan Pardew will be back on familiar territory when his Newcastle United players arrive at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday night. A few years ago he developed something of a fixation with José Mourinho, the then Chelsea manager, and spent part of his free time shadowing the "Special One".

"I know Chelsea well," said Pardew. "Before I got this job and moved north, Chelsea was perhaps the team I visited most. I did a big study of Mourinho, how he played and how he got that unbeaten record at home."

Along the way Mourinho, now coaching Real Madrid, invited him behind the scenes. "I took in Chelsea's training ground a couple of times," said the Newcastle manager, whose family home in Surrey is handily placed for that facility while also being a relatively easy commute from Stamford Bridge.

"I just wanted to get my head round their incredible record at home under Mourinho. They must have gone two-and-a-half seasons without losing at home and José had done that at Porto before that. It wasn't just about great players, there was obviously something else going on. I came away with a couple of things."

Many of Roberto Di Matteo's squad are familiar faces. "I know Chelsea's players very well," Pardew said. "They're re-motivated now. The fact that it was reported they needed to be replaced because they lacked legs has now worked on the other side of the coin. They're proving everybody wrong, that's what great players do."

Di Matteo's Champions League finalists are sixth, one point behind the fifth‑placed Newcastle and Tottenham Hotspur, who visit Bolton Wanderers night standing fourth, courtesy of superior goal difference.

"It's going to be a big night for Champions League qualification, there's no getting away from that," said Pardew. "After Chelsea we've still got two more games left where things can change again but Wednesday will be significant."

His Newcastle team ended a run of six successive wins with a 4-0 defeat at Wigan Athletic on Saturday and, on returning to training, the players were greeted by the chilling sight of a mobile cryotherapy unit parked at their weekday headquarters.

It was filled with individual ice baths in which Pardew's first‑teamers plunged to hasten their physical recovery from the Wigan game, while perhaps also imbuing them with an extra mental edge.

"I don't think there'll be any problem with the psychology of our team now," he said. "It has to be a bad time to play Chelsea but we're looking for a big reaction."

Pardew accepts Newcastle may yet end up in the Europa League and is duly anxious to finish at least fifth rather than sixth, which would shorten the summer break by requiring involvement in early qualifying rounds. "If we can't strive for fourth, it's important we strive for fifth."

The most Clean sheets we've ever had in a 38 game prem season.

Absolutely Outstanding.

And that's with loosing an inform Saylor.