Alan Pardew

JH

Carroll asked for a new contract then submitted a transfer request... he wanted to leave.

No man. We put a gun to his head and forced him to sign on the dotted line.

The club wanted the money, and chose to accept the offer.

Not saying that Carroll wanted to go, or wanted to stay. Dangle that kind of carrot in the face of an Andy Carroll type, only one outcome.

Not saying that Carroll wanted to go, or wanted to stay. Dangle that kind of carrot in the face of an Andy Carroll type, only one outcome.

I'm not disputing that, but whilst others disagree I would never turn down such an offer for a player.

In the end though, he chose to leave and he signed a document saying he wanted to leave - how can he then turn around and say he didn't want to leave?

I interpret Carroll's desire to stay as follows: "I want to be at the club, but only as long as I'm getting a pay rise. "  In other words, he chose money before the club. If he really wanted to stay, he wouldn't have asked for a a better contract , because he knew that the club could not afford rejecting the bid AND simultaneously give him a good pay rise. Imo his contract request could have been the final factor that tilted the board in favor of selling him.  He should have kept his mouth shut until this summer. And if he he continued his development through this season, then he rightly could have demanded a better contract.  

I'm not disputing that, but whilst others disagree I would never turn down such an offer for a player.

In the end though, he chose to leave and he signed a document saying he wanted to leave - how can he then turn around and say he didn't want to leave?

You agree the club wanted the money. What position does that put him in as a pro, at a club where the owners don't want you.

You agree the club wanted the money. What position does that put him in as a pro, at a club where the owners don't want you.

Wanting the money doesn't mean "the owners don't want you" - that's inevitably what Carroll thought and so he left.

I'd sell my telly if I needed/wanted the money, but it doesn't mean I don't want it.

Wanting the money doesn't mean "the owners don't want you" - that's inevitably what Carroll thought and so he left.

I'd sell my telly if I needed/wanted the money, but it doesn't mean I don't want it.

You hear players say all the time that once a club have said they have accepted an offer for you that there is no point in staying even if you don't want to leave.  And it is very rare that you hear of a player refusing to move in such cases unless they are aware of other clubs that are interested.

Got to wonder why any manager would accept such conditions.

£900k per annum (or whatever he's on) is fucking good wage when you're on sweet FA. Opportunity to manage at a club far bigger than his track record would allow in any other circumstance. Puts himself back in the shop window even if he fails. He'd have been a total knacker not to take it. I bet he was laughing his tits off when Dekka came offered him the job.

Guest TheSummerOf69

I don't blame Pardew for bringing Tiote on and trying for a win in the cup - I blame Tiote for a reckless challenge (but I do blame Pardew for losing an eminently winnable game). 

I don't excuse him for just missing out on winning two games by conceeding late equalisers. I want a team that fights to the death and wins points right at the whistle, not loses them. Maybe that reflects a manager with an armful of excuses ready?

I also don't excuse him for having to battle on with a weakened squad as he should have known the need to strengthen in the transfer window ready for the suspension and injury end of the season, even before we consider the wisdom of cashing in on Carroll - which only hindsight will reveal.

I do like the fact that he's communicative, but not the inconsistencies in what he says and the nagging suspicion that he's far more interested in his own interests than in being honest.

He's done alright so far. But then so did Dalglish, Souness, Roeder and Allardyce at similiar stages of their toon career. It's still all to play for...

• 2 weeks later...

We're deep into the season and the injuries are perhaps more noticable due to our pitifully small squad. Having said that, I agree it's a bit concerning.

Hopefully a full pre-season of Pardew's methods will mean next season is better.

We've been unlucky in the long term injuries to Smith and Ben Arfa, Gosling was signed injured, so that's another one out of the club's control. Enrique's hamstring injury was sustained in a match, that's pretty common, but for us it's been exasperated by a lack of real LB cover.

The ones we can control though are the three thigh strain injuries, Gutierrez and Ireland injured themselves in training and Barton in pre-match warm up. I think Carroll's thigh strain occurred during training under Pardew too. I'm hoping the club have picked up on this, surely just a bigger emphasis on the quads and perhaps extended warm ups should go some way towards reducing these.

In the past I remember lots of hamstring problems, groin strains (both attributed to the training pitch) and hernia's. But the thigh strains seem to be a new thing under Pardew, or is that just me being paranoid?

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

We've been unlucky in the long term injuries to Smith and Ben Arfa, Gosling was signed injured, so that's another one out of the club's control. Enrique's hamstring injury was sustained in a match, that's pretty common, but for us it's been exasperated by a lack of real LB cover.

The ones we can control though are the three thigh strain injuries, Gutierrez and Ireland injured themselves in training and Barton in pre-match warm up. I think Carroll's thigh strain occurred during training under Pardew too. I'm hoping the club have picked up on this, surely just a bigger emphasis on the quads and perhaps extended warm ups should go some way towards reducing these.

In the past I remember lots of hamstring problems, groin strains (both attributed to the training pitch) and hernia's. But the thigh strains seem to be a new thing under Pardew, or is that just me being paranoid?

Hardly unlucky.