Alan Pardew

JH

Don't think for a second that Pardew particularly wanted to play Coloccini in the middle of the park but he decide that it was the 'least shit' option given the players he had available. Coloccini is a good player and is more than capable of doing a decent job in there but it didn't work out.

Can't be slagged for that surely? 

Guest Roger Kint

Don't think for a second that Pardew particularly wanted to play Coloccini in the middle of the park but he decide that it was the 'least s***' option given the players he had available. Coloccini is a good player and is more than capable of doing a decent job in there but it didn't work out.

Can't be slagged for that surely? 

If he was sure Enrique would be 100% i think he would have went Ferguson LW with Barton inside, can see why he didnt want to gamble plaing both though and like you say Colo is capable.

Guest Roger Kint

And Barton in the middle would have been a worry.  we can all see why he tried to keep him out wide?

True but clearly we were struggling hence disrupting the back 4

And Barton in the middle would have been a worry.  we can all see why he tried to keep him out wide?

True but clearly we were struggling hence disrupting the back 4

Exactamundo.  The Stoke abberation was a worry for me, but he's in the clear villa wise for me

Is anyone else a bit worried with some of his team selections of late?

S.taylor

3 games he's shoehorned him or Campbell in for no reason and 3 defeats to opposition that have been equivilent standard to us this season is no coincidence. He can't learn quickly enough to stop dicking about with the back 4 IMO.

I can sort of understand him putting S. Taylor in for Coloccini when Colo moved to midfield, simply cause there was no one else available.

But as you say, hopefully it never happens again.

I understand his reasoning too but for me, and I know I've said this f*** loads, but you just don't change a settled back four. More or less every team thats been successful has had a settled back 4 and I know we're only relatively successful this season but a settled back four is a large back of it.

I agree with you.  It's my number one rule for team selection, keeping a good back four settled.

I'd have played

Ferguson Barton Guthrie Jonas

and kept the back four settled.

Oh well.  Natural positioning & form > experience at all times.

S.taylor

3 games he's shoehorned him or Campbell in for no reason and 3 defeats to opposition that have been equivilent standard to us this season is no coincidence. He can't learn quickly enough to stop dicking about with the back 4 IMO.

I can sort of understand him putting S. Taylor in for Coloccini when Colo moved to midfield, simply cause there was no one else available.

I understand his reasoning too but for me, and I know I've said this f*** loads, but you just don't change a settled back four. More or less every team thats been successful has had a settled back 4 and I know we're only relatively successful this season but a settled back four is a large back of it.

I agree with you.  It's my number one rule for team selection, keeping a good back four settled.

I'd have played

Oh well.  Natural positioning & form > experience at all times.

We'd have lost 1-0 with that midfield

bluerazz.gif

S.taylor

I agree with you.  It's my number one rule for team selection, keeping a good back four settled.

I'd have played

Oh well.  Natural positioning & form > experience at all times.

You guys have obviously not played Football Manager regularly. If you did, you'd know that even reloading games to try out different formations and tactics sometimes don't change the result. I've reloaded 19 times and no matter what formation I try still can't beat f***ing Chelsea!  :razz:

The point is nobody know what would have happened if we tried different formation or kept Colo in defence for a 'weaker' midfield, we could have won, drawn or even lost with a bigger margin. When evaluating tactics, the relevant question is not was he right, but was that a formation that could have worked? (i.e. can you see a logic behind it?) Given our paper thin squad, Pardew tried a formation that he thought could work and it just didn't work out, that was it.

a lot of people here were crying for Colo to play as defensive midfielder before Tiote arrived.

Anyway it's a failed experiment but I wouldn't blame Pardew for trying for ONCE.

Oh well.  Natural positioning & form > experience at all times.

I agree, but 90% of professional football managers seem to think the opposite.

I'm sure SBR mentioned how on the continent players were more adaptable to fit systems for certain games. In fact he used Aaron Hughes as a man-marking midfielder a few times. I think some players use the fact they are being played out of position as an excuse sometimes. Shane Ferguson has shown a great attitude when he's been asked to play either in defence or midfield.

Guest BooBoo

Does anyone ever look at him and wonder how the hell Alan Pardew is our manager?

Tbh he's a well dressed and manicured individual, highly stylish. In looks alone, he certainly trumps Big Sams pink scarf chic or even (shudder) Keegan's painfully 90s chino and turtle neck combos.

Kudos to Hughton though- by his latter months his suit and jumper combo was class.

Does anyone ever look at him and wonder how the hell Alan Pardew is our manager?

Tbh he's a well dressed and manicured individual, highly stylish. In looks alone, he certainly trumps Big Sams pink scarf chic or even (shudder) Keegan's painfully 90s chino and turtle neck combos.

Kudos to Hughton though- by his latter months his suit and jumper combo was class.

He looked like such a Victorian dude.   :smitten:

Every time I see him it's the first thing that comes to mind. How the fuck is Alan Pardew the manager of Newcastle United?

Every time I see him it's the first thing that comes to mind. How the fuck is Alan Pardew the manager of Newcastle United?

As opposed to the world class managers we had before him.

How did I know that you would be ready, waiting to say something like that.

:lol:

I don't know!

It's a valid point though isn't it? Kinnear, Keegan and Hughton aren't exactly hard acts to follow.

(I love KK BTW)

:lol:

I don't know!

It's a valid point though isn't it? Kinnear, Keegan and Hughton aren't exactly hard acts to follow.

(I love KK BTW)

Kinnear was a ridiculous appointment. Hughton, well, everyone's got to start somewhere tbh.

I'd say Pardew is on a similar level to Roeder and Allardyce.