Alan Pardew

JH

Guest sydneycove

Went with good. Really I think he has done really well but Brilliant leaves so little room for improvement which I am sure he will make.

The job he has done is nothing short of remakable and to achieve it under pressure and towards the end of last season with a threadbare squad makes it even more so. Additionally he has managed to change the way we play, a task which would have some managers still making excuses two years down the road.

If anyone votes less than good they need to give their heed a shake.

The job he has done is nothing short of remakable and to achieve it under pressure and towards the end of last season with a threadbare squad makes it even more so. Additionally he has managed to change the way we play, a task which would have some managers still making excuses two years down the road.

If anyone votes less than good they need to give their heed a shake.

Wait till we lose against spuds, then many would be changing their votes to terrible!  :lol:

Didn't like the way he was appointed, don't particular like him as a guy and he would never have been my choice to be our Manager, however I do recognise that he's started the season very well and that he seems to have maintained that all important spirit which is credit worthy.

That's about as complimentary as I'll get about him.

I liked him as a manager and a personality before he came here, and I'm pleased to see that he's doing pretty well so far.

I'm sure he would have got some credit a lot quicker if he hadn't come in to replace Chris Hughton, who was treated appallingly. He's also the right kind of character to work with Ashley and Llambias, as he's clever enough to realise that it's better for him to keep his disagreements with the board behind the scenes and try (as much as possible) to present a united front. He knows when to swallow his pride for the good of the club and of course his own career. Some people might think that's spineless, I just think it's smart.

Obviously the great signings (which I'm not sure he had much to do with, at least initially) and the excellent start to the season help a lot.

Guest TheSummerOf69

I just hope that in 6 months time, when these same "brilliant"/"good" poll results are probably still beaming down on us from the top of the page, we're just as happy with him.

But for now...  :love:

I liked him as a manager and a personality before he came here, and I'm pleased to see that he's doing pretty well so far.

I'm sure he would have got some credit a lot quicker if he hadn't come in to replace Chris Hughton, who was treated appallingly. He's also the right kind of character to work with Ashley and Llambias, as he's clever enough to realise that it's better for him to keep his disagreements with the board behind the scenes and try (as much as possible) to present a united front. He knows when to swallow his pride for the good of the club and of course his own career. Some people might think that's spineless, I just think it's smart.

Obviously the great signings (which I'm not sure he had much to do with, at least initially) and the excellent start to the season help a lot.

Everyone obviously thinks this but my instinct is that its all Pardew. I have had the discussion on Toontastic with posters who claim that Pardew is just a puppet. The logical extension of that position is that Derek Llambias is a footballing genius. Llambias either allow millions of clubs £'s be spent (gross not net) on the advice of a scout (who has got it spot on so Llambias' footballing judgement is sound), takes the decisions himself  :kasper: or its Pardew. In the scenario where its not Pardew, you either have Llambias making the decision himself or preferring the counsel of a scout over a manager who is on close terms with the owner.

Not wanting to get all Sherlock Holmes (eliminate the impossible etc) but i reckon its Pardew making all the decisions bar the financial ones. People create fictional narratives about puppet managers and evil plans when the reality is more mundane. Pardew is the manager and makes the footballing decisions, any other scenario is not credible as it means someone else is making some great decisions and the only candidate for that is Llambias.

Everyone obviously thinks this but my instinct is that its all Pardew. I have had the discussion on Toontastic with posters who claim that Pardew is just a puppet. The logical extension of that position is that Derek Llambias is a footballing genius. Llambias either allow millions of clubs £'s be spent (gross not net) on the advice of a scout (who has got it spot on so Llambias' footballing judgement is sound), takes the decisions himself  :kasper: or its Pardew. In the scenario where its not Pardew, you either have Llambias making the decision himself or preferring the counsel of a scout over a manager who is on close terms with the owner.

Not wanting to get all Sherlock Holmes (eliminate the impossible etc) but i reckon its Pardew making all the decisions bar the financial ones. People create fictional narratives about puppet managers and evil plans when the reality is more mundane. Pardew is the manager and makes the footballing decisions, any other scenario is not credible as it means someone else is making some great decisions and the only candidate for that is Llambias.

Good points, I didn't mean to suggest he was a puppet of the evil regime, just that I wasn't sure how much he had to do with transfers specifically. Those scenarios do make sense though, and in that event you're right it's more likely that Pardew is working with Carr to say yes or no to signings.

Either way, the club are doing OK on that front and Pardew is doing a good job. Long may it continue.

Disagree and think it's even more simple than that.

Carr identifies talent based on certain criteria (potential fit at the club, age, position/need and potential upside) he then discusses with Pardew/Llambias who discuss merits based on their own aspirations (pardew - team performance, finishing position and Llambias looking more at risk/upside).

A decision to proceed is then made and if Llambias can do a deal in line with Ashleys overall financial strategy for the club then the deal is done.

If not, then it doesn't happen.

My view is that Pardew has a say, a minor ability to influence but the views of others and their aspirations when signing a player are given higher priority.

Even if that scenario is true, Pardew is still saying which players he wants in the team, and the ones he's saying yes to are pretty good. So if that's the worst case for Pardew, he still comes out of it looking very capable.

We'll never know who he's wanted and who has been a 'Boardroom' signing so the discussion is largely irrelevant Ian.

Santon for example, strikes me as an 'Investor' decision rather than say a Pieters would have been due to the potential upside.

Disagree and think it's even more simple than that.

Carr identifies talent based on certain criteria (potential fit at the club, age, position/need and potential upside) he then discusses with Pardew/Llambias who discuss merits based on their own aspirations (pardew - team performance, finishing position and Llambias looking more at risk/upside).

A decision to proceed is then made and if Llambias can do a deal in line with Ashleys overall financial strategy for the club then the deal is done.

If not, then it doesn't happen.

My view is that Pardew has a say, a minor ability to influence but the views of others and their aspirations when signing a player are given higher priority.

Thats basically what i just said but mine was less complicated not more. You've got a vague executive decision-making process with competing objectives.

Pardew defines needs of squad, Carr scouts, Pardew decides which ones he wants, Llambias does the deal if its cheap enough.

Why is there such fear in saying Llambias' footballing judgement is sound?

I doubt he has much do do with the signings beyond the rather critical responsibility of initiating, negotiating, and finalising the deals alongside Charnley, but beyond that, in the last couple of years the staff appointed from the first team level to the kids all seem to be sound, as is his willingness to invest in facilities and even allow little things like putting the development squad on a private jet to swansea rather than the usual day on a coach.

Few would say he's an endearing character (putting it mildly), but it may be a little churlish not to acknowledge that his handling of the football side of the club since the drop has been sound, if not more than sound.

Even if that scenario is true, Pardew is still saying which players he wants in the team, and the ones he's saying yes to are pretty good. So if that's the worst case for Pardew, he still comes out of it looking very capable.

We'll never know who he's wanted and who has been a 'Boardroom' signing so the discussion is largely irrelevant Ian.

Santon for example, strikes me as an 'Investor' decision rather than say a Pieters would have been due to the potential upside.

Llambias decided that Santon was the right signing for the club? :memelol:

I don't think Pardew decides which one he wants though which was the point of my post. I think he has an influence but is not the decision maker.

For example, if Carr knocked on Llambias door today and said 'I've found the next Tiote - we can buy him for peanuts and the potential upside is huge' I doubt Llambias would say 'let's go check with Alan as he's well covered in that area'. I think he'd say 'how big an upside and how long would it take us to shift Cabaye or Tiote for good dollar?'.

Pardews view would then be irrelevant.

IMHO of course.