Alan Pardew

JH

Well, as I've said a couple of times: I guess the board and AP rated Carroll at 20-25m... Noone expected a bid like Liverpool made to tick in, and therefore they said not for sale (at his value) When the bid was made, they could of course not afford to turn it down. The same goes for Messi, if Barca receive a offer above his value. Let's say 100mill and his prob off...

Barca wouldn't sell Messi for £500 million tbh.

I actually agree with your general point, but I think you've managed to pick the ONE exception to the rule.  :lol:

Spurs have done exactly the same to get to the point where they are now

Berbatov 31mil,

Carrick 18mil

Keane 18mil

If its for the greater good, then so be it.

Except they've re-invested that into buying at least 10 £10m+ players of their own in the last 5 years including Berbatov and Keane themselves, and spend £5m+ on pretty much anyone they buy. If we're getting sums like £35m for players we should be shopping at that range.

Well, as I've said a couple of times: I guess the board and AP rated Carroll at 20-25m... Noone expected a bid like Liverpool made to tick in, and therefore they said not for sale (at his value) When the bid was made, they could of course not afford to turn it down. The same goes for Messi, if Barca receive a offer above his value. Let's say 100mill and his prob off...

100 mil :lol:  his release clause is 1bn if i'm not mistaken, and they wouldn't sell for any less imo.

Having players that are good enough for you to worry about them leaving is a good thing.

Look back to some of the squads from Roeder onwards... Who out of those teams would you even have been worried about selling to a "bigger club"

Pardew to stress the need for defensive reinforcements

8:00am Tuesday 6th December 2011 in Sport

By Scott Wilson »

WITH a defensive crisis looming ahead of this weekend's trip to Norwich City, Alan Pardew will stress the need for January reinforcements when he discusses his transfer plans with Newcastle owner Mike Ashley this week.

Magpies officials have already agreed the outline details of a deal that will see Sochaux striker Modibo Maiga move to the North-East in next month's transfer window, and this week's discussions were originally intended to be a preliminary chat about additional targets.

However, the scheduled talks assumed an increased urgency on Saturday as Steven Taylor sustained an Achilles injury that will rule him out of the rest of the season and fellow centre-half Fabricio Coloccini also picked up a thigh injury.

It remains too early to determine the full extent of Coloccini's problem - it is hoped the Argentinian has not suffered a tear that could also rule him out of the festive programme - but with Mike Williamson still to resume full training as he recovers from a foot injury, Pardew faces a major selection headache ahead of the trip to Carrow Road.

He cannot recall James Tavernier from his loan at Sheffield Wednesday until the youngster has spent 28 days at Hillsborough, and while Tamas Kadar is available, the Hungarian had fallen completely out of favour prior to this weekend's developments.

As a result, James Perch and Davide Santon are set to form a completely untried defensive partnership on Saturday, with Newcastle unlikely to name another defender on the bench.

The situation is far from ideal, and underlines a lack of depth that was always likely to become an issue at some stage.

Pardew failed in a last-gasp attempt to sign Liam Ridgewell on the final day of the August transfer window, and the Birmingham centre-half is set to figure prominently in this week's talks.

He has made 16 appearances this season, but with Birmingham struggling in the bottom half of the Championship table, Chris Hughton could come under pressure to sell if Newcastle were to table a respectable offer next month.

Pardew has also been monitoring potential targets abroad, and they will be pursued as a matter of urgency in the next few weeks.

He is a long-standing admirer of Erik Pieters, another player who was targeted vigorously in the summer, and while the Holland international is regarded as more of a left-back, he also has experience of playing at centre-half.

Newcastle scouts have also watched Montpellier skipper Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa, a rugged 22-year-old who has represented France at Under-21 level.

Interestingly, sources in London claim United will be offered an opportunity to re-sign Sebastien Bassong, who left St James' Park to join Tottenham in August 2009 but who has subsequently struggled to hold down a place in Spurs' first team.

Harry Redknapp is willing to let Bassong leave White Hart Lane next month, but unless a loan deal can be agreed, Spurs chairman Daniel Levy is expected to demand the bulk of the £8m he shelled out to sign the Cameroon international two-and-a-half years ago.

As well as experiencing severe defensive problems, Newcastle also have concerns in other areas of the field, most notably in midfield where Cheik Tiote's knee problem is proving harder to treat than anticipated.

Tiote, who has now missed the Magpies' last six matches, will be reassessed by the club's medical staff this morning. If he is unable to join in full training, it is extremely unlikely that he will be involved at Carrow Road.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/9402792.Pardew_to_stress_the_need_for_defensive_reinforcements/

AP was interviewed in the Mag. the whole article is a canny read like, here's a tiny part of it:

An invitation from Alan Pardew landed on The Mag desk, asking if we’d like to go and spend the day at the training ground to watch training and meet everybody behind the scenes. So both Michael Martin (editor of our sister publication ‘True Faith’) and myself happily accepted and rounded it off by interviewing the man in the St.James’ Park hotseat.

Thanks for inviting us up here today….

….no it’s my pleasure, there might be a different culture in the two places but one area where I find great similarities between when I was at West Ham and now at Newcastle, is that the fanzines are very very strong. They’d given me a bit of stick for a year or so and I invited them (West Ham fans/fanzine people) in and I think at times part of the problem is the mystery of it all, why things are happening, why people are saying this and that.

Today Nile (Ranger) has been in court and we are saying to him, look at the people we represent, who pay our wages, have respect for them and don’t bring shame on their football club.

Here at the club we’ve got Willie Donachie, Peter (Beardsley), John (Carver), Stoney (Steve Stone), Andy Woodman the goalkeeping coach, Mickey the masseur, Thommo the kitman and many others. People ask why we have a good spirit and I tell them, it’s because we have got good people here, there’s no great secret to it, all of those people contribute to what we have. It hasn’t been like that at every club I’ve been to, we’re very fortunate here.

I suppose it’s like every organisation, it’s only as good as the people within it and in our case whether the team spirit can be created both on and off the pitch?

It doesn’t have to be ‘you’re a minute late’, ‘here’s your fine’ and all of that, though having said that the likes of Nile have had more than their fair share of fines. It has to be that and a lot more, it is more about the other players not accepting that kind of behaviour, making clear to each other what is expected as a group.

We don’t just expect knowledge of the game either, we expect players to know all about the club and what it stands for. I didn’t know John (Carver) very well before I brought him in but I knew of his reputation and I knew what he could bring to this club both on and off the field. I said to him this morning what I was going to say to the press about the naming of the stadium and I wanted his opinion as he is a fan, as well of course as what he brings as an assistant manager.

Are you looking for a positive with Cheick Tiote’s current injury in that at least it might cut down on his suspensions this season….?

(Big Laughs) I think with Cheick…you haven’t had the luxury of seeing him in training. He’s a player who you can’t just switch on and off, he trains exactly as he plays. You can’t ask him not to tackle and we have a laugh in training as he smashes Dan Gosling up in the air every five minutes. Cheick Tiote is a warrior of a player and a massive part  of this team.

What do you see as Hatem Ben Arfa’s best position?

He’s a number ten, playing behind the centre forward. He is a very special player and that’s the only place I see him playing, he’s not a wide player and the only time I would choose to put him out there is maybe if during a game I needed him to do a job and see the game out.

To read the full and exclusive interview you need to get your hands on the latest copy of The Mag, out today to coincide with the Chelsea match. The Mag is on sale outside SJP on matchdays, in 500 newsagents across the north east but the easiest way to get your hands on one is if you go to The Mag online shop

though having said that the likes of Nile have had more than their fair share of fines.

I think with Cheick…you haven’t had the luxury of seeing him in training. He’s a player who you can’t just switch on and off, he trains exactly as he plays. You can’t ask him not to tackle and we have a laugh in training as he smashes Dan Gosling up in the air every five minutes.

:lol:

Looks like a very good interview that, credit to Pardew for inviting them :thup:

From .co.uk

By Anthony Marshall - Newcastle United Club Reporter

A year ago today Alan Pardew was appointed as Newcastle United manager, and has quickly set about making his mark in the North-East.

Be it that famous comeback against Arsenal, a derby victory at Sunderland or an impressive draw at Old Trafford, Pardew's first 12 months in charge have provided some memorable moments.

And the boss sat down this week with nufc.co.uk to give an exclusive insight into his spell so far and his hopes for the future...

You arrived at Newcastle on 9th December, 2010. How quickly has the time gone? Does it feel like a year ago?

In some ways it seems like a long time, but in other ways it seems like it's flashed by.

So much has gone on, and fortunately so much of it has been positive and it has been nice to reflect on it.

There were some rocky days, as there always is when you are the manager of a football club as big as this, but it feels quick if I'm honest.

You started off with a win against Liverpool, and things have gone very well since then.

That first game was important because a lot of fans will have wondered why me - why was I chosen? Why did Chris (Hughton) depart?

I think that game was important for me to start to make my mark, and I didn't want to sit up in the stands and watch because I don't think anyone can gain anything from that.

So I went in the dressing room, even though I had only had a brief couple of sessions with the players, and fortunately for me I put some ideas in there which perhaps helped us get a goal.

I think that helped me in the dressing room as well, as I played my part in that win, and from then on the road certainly wasn't a negative one. I started on a positive and that was very important.

Has that been one of your toughest challenges here - to win over the fans, who were sceptical of your appointment?

At all football clubs now there is an expectation for a big name. It has just happened at Sunderland where they have ended up with a big name, but that doesn't automatically guarantee that Martin O'Neill will be a success there.

Sometimes managers fit for different clubs, and hopefully I am the right fit for here. I mean that in terms of where I am in my life, what's happened to me in the past, and the owners we have, because it's very important that I have a relationship with them and that they trust my management of the Club.

That will hopefully then bring us some continuity.

You're obviously not from the area, but you quickly set about building a coaching staff who know the North-East and the Club very well. How important was that?

When I have gone into other clubs in the past I have changed a lot of staff members and I didn't really want to do that. I didn't think it was fair.

There's a lot of good people here and the staff have been absolutely terrific. A big part of my success is the staff I have here.

I've utilised them, and added to that group by promoting Willie Donachie from the Academy and Steve Stone from the Academy and Reserves.

I brought John Carver back as assistant manager as well. When I managed against this Club in the past, I knew his reputation and John has exceeded my expectations of him as a person and as a coach.

We have a great working relationship and I'm very happy that it worked out. It has really helped with the results.

Looking at what's happened on the pitch, last season was a case of job done and retaining our place in the Premier League, and then the team has really pushed on over the first few months of this season.

The back-end of last year was a very important time. The sale of Andy Carroll was a massive moment in my managerial career, because I said he wouldn't leave and the fee was so, so big that it was a decision which we reluctantly had to take.

It left us vulnerable, and we are indebted to Kevin Nolan, Joey Barton, Shola Ameobi, Peter Lovenkrands, Leon Best and everyone else who played in the second half of the season.

The results didn't really change, even though we lost a real key player. We weren't winning a lot of games but we weren't losing either. We were solid. The senior pros all performed and the young players who came in did a great job too.

It was a good end to the season and our defensive stability was starting to form.

This year we had a lot of contracts to address, particularly with Joey and Kevin, and we couldn't do the deals so they moved on. But we had a lot of activity over the summer.

A few of our deals went a bit under the radar like Marveaux and Mehdi Abeid, who we still haven't seen yet. Demba and Cabaye weren't greeted with too many fanfares, but we thought we had done some good business.

When they started predicting for the new season, a lot of people didn't really look at what we had brought in.

And you have gone about assembling a younger, more dynamic squad than what was previously in place.

There's more pace and energy for sure, and that is something I was very conscious of as I thought we were missing it.

Strength from the bench has been the biggest difference this year. I've been able to change games from the bench, whereas last season at times I felt my hands were tied to the 11 starters.

Of course, the opposition do their homework, find a way to subdue you and that was happening time and time again, and I couldn't change tactically.

This year I have been able to mix it, change it and an example of that is half-time on Saturday when I was able to bring on Shola for Hatem. It gives me options, and we have got different personnel who can give us a different look.

What have you learnt as a manager during your year here?

I think the most important thing to learn as manager of Newcastle United is that it isn't all about winning here.

And sport is beginning to realise that. If it was all about winning then that means 18 Premier League managers would be gone every summer. It's not all about winning, but it is about building and building to win the right way.

And I think, like at West Ham, there is tradition here of how to play the game, and I will never, never come away from that. We will always play on the front foot and look to win the game.

There might be the odd tactical game where we would concede possession, but still with a tactical plan to win.

We've got Swansea coming up and I know they will have more possession than us, but that's okay as long as our tactical plan is to win that game. It's making sure that the fans see that Newcastle are trying to win every game.

What are your hopes for the next 12 months?

I obviously don't want any more injuries, because losing Marveaux, Williamson, Steven Taylor, Cheick and Guthrie is now starting to feel too many.

We can't afford too many of them, because if we are really going to challenge then you need your best players fit.

There's no part of me that feels we are going to struggle this season in terms of the table, but we have got a bit of a struggle on our hands right now with injuries.

If we can get through this busy Christmas period as best we can and be in the top seven after January, maybe when the African Nations comes to an end, then I think we have a chance of Europe.

I've not said that before, but that will be my target.

Europe? :frantic:

In all seriousness though, 7th should be a realistic target and that could very well become an Europa League spot come the end of the season. So Pardew may actually meet his target.....we shall see!

I wonder why it was only The Mag that was invited..?

Fair play to the club for doing so - hopefully other fanzines will also be invited in the future.

I've heard rumour that NUST,The Mag and the NUFC.COM boys have all been covertly invited into the inner sanctum of SJP very recently.

It will be very interesting to see if there is a mellowing of views from those invited. Otherwise will any reveal the purpose of said visit?

Fair play to the club for doing so - hopefully other fanzines will also be invited in the future.

I've heard rumour that NUST,The Mag and the NUFC.COM boys have all been covertly invited into the inner sanctum of SJP very recently.

It will be very interesting to see if there is a mellowing of views from those invited. Otherwise will any reveal the purpose of said visit?

Huh, interesting.....

Huh, interesting.....

The Club will be looking to appoint a  Supporters’ Liaison Officer, which will be a requirement of all Premier League clubs from 2012/2013 season.

Lets so who gets the gig.