Alan Pardew

JH

One point from six at home including throwing away a three goal lead is better than one away defeat? You're embarrassing yourself.

Neither 'performance' - your terminology, not mine - was as disgraceful as the rubbish against WBA that preceded Hughton's departure.

Nice try, though.

He doesn't have to be a brilliant motivator to be better than Pardew, and considering how much happier you are with Cabaye and Ba instead of Nolan and Carroll, saying the squads are similar is an outrageous statement Sewelly.

Both managers are working with similar squads in terms of talent and both are producing similar results. Both also have obvious faults.

People are just attached to Hughton because they associate him with winning every week in the Championship and the fact he is obviously a stand up bloke who was harshly sacked. Fair enough tbh, I can see why people haven't warmed to Pardew since he got the job off his mistreatment.

The idea that Hughton had us playing better football and was a brilliant motivator, I just don't think I can agree with at all.

Nah man, it's people still wondering whether things needed changed at all.

Both managers are working with similar squads in terms of talent and both are producing similar results. Both also have obvious faults.

People are just attached to Hughton because they associate him with winning every week in the Championship and the fact he is obviously a stand up bloke who was harshly sacked. Fair enough tbh, I can see why people haven't warmed to Pardew since he got the job off his mistreatment.

The idea that Hughton had us playing better football and was a brilliant motivator, I just don't think I can agree with at all.

If aimed at me I never claimed our football was good/better :) But the motivator bit, we'll have to agree to disagree.

He doesn't have to be a brilliant motivator to be better than Pardew, and considering how much happier you are with Cabaye and Ba instead of Nolan and Carroll, saying the squads are similar is an outrageous statement Sewelly.

True, but then we're also minus Enrique and Krul has turned into a top keeper this season. Don't think the squads are that much different. (if you're going to say Pards had José last season, he also didn't have Carroll OR Ba)

We are definitely wasting the talents of our best players at the moment though, and while that continues to happen I will get more annoyed with Pardew by the week. Long ball shite is bad enough but it's even more unforgivable when you don't have the players to do it.

Hughton's success was hitting on a reasonbly successful system with the players we had. 2 big men upfront, Barton finding his best position out wide, Nolan in central midfield. Pardew needs to start getting the best out of Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Ba, Tioté etc because at the moment he's failing to do so/not even trying to.

Whats weird is we seem to have some truley brilliant players (Ba, Cabaye, Krul, Tiote, Colo) but some of the others are woefull beyond belief, i think if we get that Cissokho guy and play him at LB and Santon at RB, get one decent winger we'll have a great squad, i'm disappointed with pardew but i still like the guy, really hope he sorts out the team and the Ben Arfa situation

Tbf Sewelly you've said pretty much exactly what I've been saying over the last couple of pages. Management 101, play to your strengths and get your best players playing well.

Curious, I wonder how incentivized the players' contracts are for wins etc, going on Nolan's comments about his summer contract and MA's track record with Sports Direct, in that we usually seem to get the results we know we can win now, but look out of our depth vs stronger teams with a distinct lack-of-caring attitude as if there's simply no point in trying.

Regardless of the cause, that mentality will only get us so far, and that is pretty much seventh :) Consider as well that quite a few of our players aren't even playing very well, if at all, strongly suggests Manager rather than player fault for certain results.

I suppose I have to wrap it up for the anti-bandwagoneer brigade though, in that yes I am happy with the position, but I am disappointed we are not using all the tools at our disposal as best they can be.

Guest neesy111

We were playing more entertaining football under Hughton. Neither of them are particularly special managers though.

Doesn't help that both have had to work with a majority of shit players.

Utter crap.  The football we played under Hughton was a lot more direct than under Pardew because he had Carroll.  The difference is that whenever we play direct now we don't have anyone near as good to aim it to.

Yeah I'm not really arguing against you Hawk or anybody in particular. Just aimlessly articulating my ramblings onto this place as usual.

2am post-match ramblings are usually the best :) nn fella heh

We were playing more entertaining football under Hughton. Neither of them are particularly special managers though.

Utter crap.  The football we played under Hughton was a lot more direct than under Pardew because he had Carroll.  The difference is that whenever we play direct now we don't have anyone near as good to aim it to.

Ba's hold up play is on a different level to Caroll's.

Guest neesy111

One point from six at home including throwing away a three goal lead is better than one away defeat? You're embarrassing yourself.

Neither 'performance' - your terminology, not mine - was as disgraceful as the rubbish against WBA that preceded Hughton's departure.

Nice try, though.

I'm with Ronnie on this one.

That West Brom performance away from home typified of a team that was going down.  Still the worst performance I've seen from a NUFC team live.

Guest neesy111

Ba's hold up play is on a different level to Caroll's.

On the deck it is, not in the air though. 

Another thing about the squad strength argument - at no point was our squad last season as stretched defensively as it has been recently, which could be argued to have been the major reason for our dip in form.

Say what you like about Sol Campbell, he's a better option than James Perch. Seem to remember when Colo and Williamson got their time off after the Bolton game we had Campbell and Taylor to step straight in.

Guest neesy111

We have 2 wingers who are totally out of form, this is putting major strain on how we supply our strikers and putting too much pressure on the like's of Cabaye to deliver.  This has to be our priority to sort out in the short-term.  I'd put shane ferguson into the team in place of Jonas and Ben Arfa for Obertan just to offer something different to the shite we've had on the wings the last 2 months.

Will it Happen?  Will it Fuck.

Guest neesy111

Another thing about the squad strength argument - at no point was our squad last season as stretched defensively as it has been recently, which could be argued to have been the major reason for our dip in form.

Say what you like about Sol Campbell, he's a better option than James Perch. Seem to remember when Colo and Williamson got their time off after the Bolton game we had Campbell and Taylor to step straight in.

The same Sol Campbell who was to blame for quite a number of goals last season I seem to recall.

All things considered I think Pardew's had the better squad and is helped by the fact that we aren't newly promoted but he's also done much better with the squad so far and is on course to better Hughton's PL achievements.

So which bit was utter crap?  Is the unsuccessful longball we're playing at the minute more entertaining than Hughton's football?

Pardew should, and hopefully will, have us playing more attractive and effective football in the future but at the moment the difference is minimal.

Guest neesy111

So which bit was utter crap?  Is the unsuccessful longball we're playing at the minute more entertaining than Hughton's football?

Pardew should, and hopefully will, have us playing more attractive and effective football in the future but at the moment the difference is minimal.

That entertaining football under Hughton only happened in a select couple of games Aston Villa and Mackems game.  You make it sound like he played the entertainers during his spell here.

Seemingly you forget these results:

2-0 lost (h) Blackpool

2-1 lost (h) Stoke

1-0 lost (h) Blackburn

0-0 draw (h) Fulham

5-1 lost (a) Bolton

3-1 lost (a) West Brom

All games which we were absolute dogshit in.

Here's a mad thought. Let's discuss Pardew and Hughton without comparing the two. You know, for f***ing once.

Both mediocre, flawed managers. Neither were/are going to get us higher than a top ten finish. End of thread/forum.

Goodnight :aww:

Guest neesy111

Honestly think we were generally more entertaining under Hughton. Pards has us in a better position so not particularly complaining.

As JH says, and as I tried to say before, neither are top managers and we're destined to be shite forever.

I'll agree on that.

We at the moment have a team full of players horribly out of form and I think a CM partnership that is destined to not work.