Alan Pardew

JH

agree with Stu - but it's revisionist to say hughton was binned because it became clear he wasn't going to kick on.

i'm not a huge Pardew fan but he has done a good job and we need a bit of stability for a few seasons and then we'll see how well Pardew has done building a side of his choosing.

it's also important that pardew has a good relationship with his employers - ashley and llambias are extremely erratic so it makes that crucial relationship a bit smoother than it would be with most other managers.

saying that i can even see pardew getting a bit pissed off in the future if things don't go his way. not just broken promises on transfers and outgoings, but even if pardew succeeds here he may want a better contract which probably won't come.

How much money did Souness have to spend compared to Pardew?

Spent about £50m didn't he? £30m-ish net. The useless knacker.

Pardew's spent about £30m so far, but obviously we've brought in tons more than that, about £45m.

What's Pards' net spend?

Criminal really how much money Souness was given and virtually every penny wasted. Where any of his signings successful? Without a doubt one of the most destructive men ever to have power at SJP. Having said that, the nugget who employed him and then bankrolled him was another one.

What's Pards' net spend?

Criminal really how much money Souness was given and virtually every penny wasted. Where any of his signings successful? Without a doubt one of the most destructive men ever to have power at SJP. Having said that, the nugget who employed him and then bankrolled him was another one.

About -£15m I reckon.

What's Pards' net spend?

Probably only Krul.

agree with Stu - but it's revisionist to say hughton was binned because it became clear he wasn't going to kick on.

Just going off the line that the club spun.

Fwiw, I really like Hughton and think he'll bring Birmingham up this season. Does things differently to a lot of managers, the antithesis of Ferguson, but there are more than one or two ways to skin a cat (or manage a team in the Premiership).

Sad really that Bellamy was thrown out of the club and would have comfortably walked back into our team every season in the 8 years he's been gone.

sourmess thought it was a good idea to farm him out on loan to celtic when fat fred gifted him the generous england michael owen  :tickedoff:

i still remember people calling me a mackem on a certain site when i showed displeasure in that transfer debacle.

damn regardless of how tight ashley is im still so glad we dont have the halls and sheppered in charge.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Redknapp because I do think there's a decent chance of Pardew getting the England gig if Redknapp's no longer an option because of this tax stuff.  A lot of people down my way who actually care about the England team are suddenly talking about Pardew as a serious candidate.

it is interesting though, if you try to think, there really isnt that many top class english managers out there. if any.

why is that?

Because the FA's coach Education is stuck in the 1980's. We don't produce coaches just like we don't produce technically gifted players.

it is interesting though, if you try to think, there really isnt that many top class english managers out there. if any.

why is that?

Because the FA's coach Education is stuck in the 1980's. We don't produce coaches just like we don't produce technically gifted players.

I think your view is stuck in the 2000's, see the coaching thread on here for a sign o' the times.

Guest Howaythetoon

A lot of blame gets heaped on the manager but the reason England continue to struggle is not because of poor managers or coahes but because as a game in general we are decades behind everyone else when it comes to kids' football. Go and watch a game of football between kids in England and then go and compare for example in say Holland (which I have done) and the differences are staggering. Their 7 year olds are better than our 7 year olds, they play better football, can play more than one position and the game itself is generally played on the deck. Having said that, our coaching standards are poor too.

Guest Howaythetoon

The Souness era was Shepherd's fault. Anyone that would prefer him to Ashley seriously needs their heads examened.

I'd prefer Shepherd to Ashley because he understood football and had ambition even if it was more often than not misguided. The Souness era was disasterous for this club but nowhere near as disasterous as the Ashley era has been.

Is Scotland's any better?  Why do they produce so many good ones, relative to the size of the country?

I think there's seven current Premier League managers from the Glasgow area alone, amazing really.