Alan Pardew

JH

As per usual we see massive overreactions on this forum.

Yes, we were very poor today and got battered last week by Spurs but does that make Pardew a bad manager? No. The problem he's got is he's becoming a victim of his own success. He's doing very well with what is in reality a limited squad.

Today was poor but I really don't think you can blame Pardew "100%" as some people have been saying. We got off to an absolute flyer and then the players who were on the pitch stopped playing football. Alan Pardew cannot put his foot on the ball and pass it to a Newcastle player like Cabaye, Tiote, Jonas etc. should have been doing.

Also, to pick up some people's points:

The substitutions and people saying why did he think they would work - The substitutions point is totally void because the 2nd goal completely changed the game they were coming into. The subs may have brought more control to the game but 30 seconds after they'd come on the game was a different one and we were chasing the game rather than trying to control it. We'll never know either way

Too many defensive limitations on players - I think this is ridiculous. I think someone said HBA looked so concerned about marking that it affected how he played. Every player has a job defensively and if they can't do it then there's little point in playing them. All the best teams have attacking players who have defensive roles. If our players can't handle having defensive duties in addition to their attacking roles then they probably aren't very good players.

I'd also just point out that the squad Pardew has to choose from isn't exactly reflective of the 6th place we currently occupy. Williamson and Simpson both definite starters and not good enough. No back-up RB, CB, LB or LW of any real quality. RW we have HBA who can't defend, Obertan who's been very poor and Ryan Taylor who's not a natural winger and is more defensive. In central midfield we have no real strength in depth either. Our backup Striker was Shola today which says it all.

Like I said not a good few weeks but let's not go over the top on criticism and remember what a good job Pardew has done to get us to 6th after 26 games.

The first half is always us though. We sit back on leads, its a mentality that seems to spread through the players and creates a complete lack of urgency.

Then we concede and go all out again much later on. Its bizarre & been consistant for ages.

Just because the result went against us, it doesn't mean the first half approach was wrong. We went in at half time very comfortable and 2-0 up. Yes Wolves had had some possession, but it was very poor quality and I bet the Wolves fans would have been much more angry than ours.

It was the second half that really surprised me. Pardew should have taken the opportunity to fire up the players and send them out to get another couple. It didn't happen at all, obviously.

I wasn't creaming myself by the way.

:lol:

I agree second half performance tops the first half when it comes to shitness. I think whatever "tactic" we may have had went out of the window when we scored so early and then got another before 20 minutes. From there on in we (Pardew?) decided we were just going to sit on it. On another day, with a more positive approach to the match we would have rolled them over after such a good start. Pardew has done well in continuing to build on the foundations laid down by Hughton, but I have to admit I'm starting to see where HTT is coming from in saying he might not be the man to move us up a notch.. It appears like our season is much like this match today was: started very well, got a bit lucky at times and found ourselves in an excellent position after the first quarter of the match/season. It's almost as if Pardew does not know how to react, and his fear of fucking up takes over, forcing him into unnecessarily negative actions, which ironically then turn against him and us. He needs to ditch the fear and embrace the excellent starting position we have somehow given ourselves and have confidence in the quality of his players to pull him/us through.

Even at 2-0 I was concerned and I knew we would sit back and drop off in the second half. I also knew once they scored, we would struggle. We actually played like this away to them, we went into the lead and looked comfortable then all of a sudden we become shit and hung on in the end.

They should have got a draw then too iirc - they had a perfectly good goal disallowed.

Been poor for a while now and no signs that changes are forthcoming. Such a shame given that we're in such a good position.

There may be some hope, Hughton was sacked for less.

Cheers, mate, it is our only hope.

Crap manager. Proven yet again.

He's not crap, just average but getting (was) the results, but the performances are getting worse, points being lost and in some cases were getting hidings, with the players we've got it should be better than this. Hughton was sacked for being a naive manager too pally with his players, and he's been replaced with a manager who isn't learning, isn't developing himself or the players and is too pally with players who are letting the side down, while not playing the kind of players who can open up a team and win you games. He'd have been better off sticking with Nolan and smith, god knows he's got a man crush on ameobi who does fuk all every time he steps on the pitch. Sick to death of him, lucky he's got the points he's got because had he had the points our play deserves he'd have gone a long time ago.

No faith in him now, he's fuking stupid, ive had enough of stupid no balls managers at this club, it's a game, play it, stop the tactical battle when you cannot even out smart someone with no experience and a team full of clobbers.

We were poor in the first half tbh, created very little and never deserved to be 2-0 up.

You could look at it like that, but IMO the goals went in so quickly that they influenced the performance rather than the other way around. And Wolves certainly didn't 'deserve' a goal themselves, their attacking play was shocking.

Guest Howaythetoon

He's not crap, just average but getting (was) the results, but the performances are getting worse, points being lost and in some cases were getting hidings, with the players we've got it should be better than this. Hughton was sacked for being a naive manager too pally with his players, and he's been replaced with a manager who isn't learning, isn't developing himself or the players and is too pally with players who are letting the side down, while not playing the kind of players who can open up a team and win you games. He'd have been better off sticking with Nolan and smith, god knows he's got a man crush on ameobi who does fuk all every time he steps on the pitch. Sick to death of him, lucky he's got the points he's got because had he had the points our play deserves he'd have gone a long time ago.

No faith in him now, he's fuking stupid, ive had enough of stupid no balls managers at this club, it's a game, play it, stop the tactical battle when you cannot even out smart someone with no experience and a team full of clobbers.

Bang on.

His tactics have worked, but I hate elements of them like. Knocking the ball long when you have players who can craft openings and stretch oppositions irritates me.

He's rarely got tactics, he just seems to send the players out and hopes for the best.  Not only did he start Ryan Taylor but he seemed to play him through the middle and I don't want to get started on his use or abuse of substitutions today.

We were poor in the first half tbh, created very little and never deserved to be 2-0 up.

You could look at it like that, but IMO the goals went in so quickly that they influenced the performance rather than the other way around. And Wolves certainly didn't 'deserve' a goal themselves, their attacking play was shocking.

No more shocking than ours.

2-0 up against a team who are basically managerless, low on confidence and are basically there for the taking. We should have went for their fucking throats and stuck 4 or 5 by them, not sat back and tried to hold what we had and invite them to try and do something. It was gutless and fucking stupid, and it's cost us two massive points today.

Guest Howaythetoon

I'm glad this forum isn't a good indicator of the way your average newcastle fans think.

I've had several text messages from mates who went saying things like "this is shit", "we are shit", "Pardew's clueless" etc. And this was at 2-1. I think the average fan after the match if asked their opinion would be ripping into the players, tactics and manager. On here I think people, although reactionary, are more measured in their opinions and analyse things more.

No more shocking than ours.

2-0 up against a team who are basically managerless, low on confidence and are basically there for the taking. We should have went for their f***ing throats and stuck 4 or 5 by them, not sat back and tried to hold what we had and invite them to try and do something. It was gutless and f***ing stupid, and it's cost us two massive points today.

100%, I was desperate for us to kill it off, but we just sat back to try and play it out. Terrible. They could be the worst team we have to play as well.

WHAM - decent cup run, lost the final in a true looser style. No need to remind anyone about Tevez and Masch. Sacked some months later when the new season started awfully.

Charlton - a true failure.

Soton - nothing of note. Sacked in dubious circumstances. Bad work ethic suspected [to elaborate it very carefully].

NUFC - 13 months later, he continues to play the hoof ball and to use negative game plans, no matter who the opposition is. No Plan Bs at all. Clueless.

He is a crap manager in spite of this season results. Just Lady Luck.

I'm glad this forum isn't a good indicator of the way your average newcastle fans think.

I've had several text messages from mates who went saying things like "this is shit", "we are shit", "Pardew's clueless" etc. And this was at 2-1. I think the average fan after the match if asked their opinion would be ripping into the players, tactics and manager. On here I think people, although reactionary, are more measured in their opinions and analyse things more.

I can confidently say I haven't met one Newcastle fan who wants Pardew sacked.

So what, we sack him? Come on then, so many opinions, very little indication of what the people who are running the club should do?

Upgrade in the summer (fwiw I reckon it'll happen the summer after). If we continue to sign players of the quality we have recently there'll be no excuses left. We're having a great season but I just want to see the back of it now because it's plain to see we have no ambitions of playing any football. We're not going anywhere unless he changes his plan.

I'm still very angry sp this is probably the wrong time to ask. Just want to see us play well with good footy SOMETIME, and then could pin hopes on that being the ideal and we'll get there. I would kill for Brendan Rogers right now however.

Guest Howaythetoon

We did the same against QPR and Villa, sat back, play a game of contain etc. Its awful. I hope Ashley and co are having the same thoughts they had leading up to the sacking of Hughton where Pardew is concerned. If he doesn't act, that good scouting and recruitment system will be wasted on us as is happening in a micro-manner with Ben Arfa and to a lesser extent Cabaye who I personally think is a cracking player but because of Pardew's tactics and the way we line up in midfield, he's neither here nor there as a player and is becoming an increasingly average type of performer for us when he has so much more in his game to really help us, i.e. his high energy, his passing ability, his bite and drive, his goal threat.

Might have been mentioned, but it was ridiculous that he brought the two subs on just before the freekick in a dangerous position.Not saying Cisse or Raylor would have prevented a goal but we would still have had 3 subs to play with to get a winner