Alan Pardew

JH

Don't be daft man, you know it's not the same thing.

I was being extreme, the point is, we should always want to do improve on something if it's a weakness and regardless of where we finish, I see Pardew as a weakness.

Not once yesterday did Krul roll the ball out to the full backs. Even when Coloccini asks for it, he sends him away and howks it into the air. He's not doing that off his own bat.

Take a look at Ben Foster's throw yesterday for whichever goal it was for what Krul should be looking to do every single time he collects it.

Errr...get us into the top 7 of the league with an opportunity to play European football next season, despite having a slightly better than average squad and minimal spending money. After taking over a squad who were 100% behind the previous manager and maintaining good performances despite a total overhaul of key players.

Like I said, there are some spackers on here, and i mean that in the least offensive way that can be interpreted.

He's a one trick pony who has lucked himself into a job and for the first half of the season he lucked himself through games which we didn't deserve to get points from.

We were getting points because Ba was getting goals from nothing when the service to him was poor yet he still managed to pull balls from behind him to bury when realistically he shouldn’t have had a chance.  Our football has for much of the time been turgid dross but we’ve got away with it by going to places like QPR and lucking a draw.  He’s lucked his way to getting a point at home against Spurs when he brought on the same stroller as he did yesterday but Stroller managed a goal.

Our performances are now getting the kind of results that we deserved earlier in the season and instead of turning nothing performances into points, we’re starting to go the other way and turning fortunate positions into negative results.

Our football under Pardew has been poor because that’s the way he likes to play football.  We have good players who are watching the ball fly past them as the ball goes from back to front with one big hoof.  The players who could control games are being bypassed for much of the game.

The amount of money spent isn't a reflection on the type of players we've brought in.  We've spent low and still managed to bring in quality because unlike Pardew, Carr is actually good at his job and we've benefited from that in as much as we have good players, even if the manager doesn't know how to get the best out of them.

Can you list these good performances that you mention?

Sunderland away, Stoke away, Man United away, Man United at home, Chelsea at home.

:mackems:

What was bad about those perfomances? We were solid and played teams at their own games, only losing one of them, might I add.

Stoke away?? - We were under the cosh for much of the second half and after they got one back to make it 1-2, there was only one team likely to score again and it was not us. 6 mins later, we get a very, very generous penalty, Ba converts and knocks the stuffing out Stoke. Result : Ba (3) - Stoke (1).

ManU away - When Simpson was our second keeper?

I will concede that those performances showed character and determination and I like that in a team; I would not say we were in control of these games and consequently the outcomes thereof.  The teams at the top end of the table (where I would like us to be) are more often than not able to control possession and dictate the tempo and direction of the game. By doing this they are able to, by and large, determine the outcome of the game.

Even though we are blessed with capable players, we are seldom in control of possession and therefore struggle to dictate proceedings so that we are in control of the outcome of the game.

12 wins in the league. 7 by one goal margin and 5 by 2 goal margin (Ba getting a hat-trick in 2 of these and 2 OGs in two other). None by a margin of three or more.

Performance isn't just based on the style of football you play though, is it? It's how well you play, and we played well in all those games, despite it not beng the most attractive of football.

Look I am not having a dig at you. I think we played well in patches in those games (even Obertan delivered for Ba against Stoke) but we also rode our luck on many occassions. Now you will have some luck during the season, but that luck could easily desert you and all you have left to rely upon is your ability. There is enough players in our squad with the ability to put in the required performance so that we end up getting the results (eg: Swansea, Wolves, QPR,etc). However they are not being deploying correctly so that we can get the maximum from them.

I cannot recall how many times this season a NUFC win was a forgone conclusion. Its a lot of "edge of your seat" stuff with the result being determined by a moment of brilliance from one of our players (either in attack of defence). You canot rely on a fair share of luck and individual brilliance if you want to mount a sustained challenge for a place in Europe.

Why they are being stifled is another question.

I know you weren't mate, and I agree with that.

http://www.eplindex.com/10326/analysing-tim-krul-against-rivals-opta-stats.html

http://i.imgur.com/27Tk1.jpg

In terms of distribution, Krul tends to stand out a bit. His pass rate is the lowest of the top 7 ‘keepers, but it also happens to be the 3rd lowest in the whole Premier League behind Paul Robinson and Simon Mignolet. Furthermore, he passes the highest percentage of his passes straight forward, with only 4% (the lowest) going to his right, thus meaning he has some work to do on his passing composure and confidence.

Wonder how this can be?

I've been wondering the same thing all season.

i'm not saying i want it to be the case, i'm saying it will be with MA as owner - haven't they stated top half is their target?  if so, bearing in mind they bagged hughton to bring their man in, why would they get shot?  they don't give a s*** about aesthetics

I'm not saying that they will get rid of him, I still wouldn't be surprised if they did.  It doesn't matter what our original target was for the season, I think they will see where we have been and could possibly see a position below where we are now as being failure.

Guest Dontooner

isn't all this moot?  if he gets us top half and even exceeds that by getting us in europe he'll be staying, we should all get used to that imo

this is exactly what i doubt, i think we would finish between 9th to 11th. We would then see what Ashley has in plans for us going to the next 5 years. Actually think he might surprise us if the right person came along.

I think there are a lot of people now thinking we have chance of getting into Europe despite Pardew, not because of him.

When a lot of us can see (even without our black and white goggles on) that some of our players (Cabaye, Tiote, Ben Afa etc), are capable of so much more than they are showing. And others (Ba and such) are not being used to the best of their capabilities.

When you look at the players we have, we surely must have a better chance of success trying to play foorball rather than hoofball.

For me thats the worrying thing. If Pardew can't see it then i can't really see us progressing much.

what on earth leads you to this conclusion?

They have eyes and see what we see.  I don't think for one minute that they shelled out up to £10 million in the last transfer window to drop down the league.

Guest Dontooner

They have eyes and see what we see.  I don't think for one minute that they shelled out up to £10 million in the last transfer window to drop down the league.

Quite surprised with the Cisse Buy as well really, before that i really had it down in my books that they were going to milk us all the way till we are high and dry,

well, the only chance of that happening is that they're clearly not "football people", "football people" would stick with pardew until it all went wrong (and i think it will eventually go wrong with him) but MA & DL are not entrenched in that whole thing

however, i do think that they've got a manager doing whatever they want and mouthpiecing their decisions, unless they've suddenly decided their end game is now to make us a successful football team i see no way they'll ship pards unless he really screws the pooch

Guest neesy111

Thing is with Krul when we have such poor options on the wings then the only main option is to hoof it unless Colo or Williamson are free.

Thing is with Krul when we have such poor options on the wings then the only main option is to hoof it unless Colo or Williamson are free.

The thing is, going back to previous posts, is that it is simply factually incorrect to say that Krul did not pass the ball to fullbacks or wingers or central defenders ONCE during the entire game. I think that we didnt win yesterday because we were far too bloody deep and defensive during the first twenty minutes of the second half (funny, just as Spurs have been once they went two up. Maybe Arry should be sacked), for which Pardew has to bear some responsibility and because Wolves had an extra man in midlfield. But when we had the ball, I saw a team trying to play football along the floor, just not successfully enough.

And whilst I'm on this soapbox - just trying to bring some balance to the debate rather than be an apologist for Pardew - to say above that Pardew does not have a Plan B is patently untrue as well. His plan B was there for all to see when Wolves scored their second (not that we should have been forced into that in the first place) and for the last twenty minutes, we looked transformed. Again, plame Pardew for his Plan A or his Plan B but not for not having one.

Right, I need to get back to the world of golf!

Guest neesy111

The thing is, going back to previous posts, is that it is simply factually incorrect to say that Krul did not pass the ball to fullbacks or wingers or central defenders ONCE during the entire game. I think that we didnt win yesterday because we were far too bloody deep and defensive during the first twenty minutes of the second half (funny, just as Spurs have been once they went two up. Maybe Arry should be sacked), for which Pardew has to bear some responsibility and because Wolves had an extra man in midlfield. But when we had the ball, I saw a team trying to play football along the floor, just not successfully enough.

And whilst I'm on this soapbox - just trying to bring some balance to the debate rather than be an apologist for Pardew - to say above that Pardew does not have a Plan B is patently untrue as well. His plan B was there for all to see when Wolves scored their second (not that we should have been forced into that in the first place) and for the last twenty minutes, we looked transformed. Again, plame Pardew for his Plan A or his Plan B but not for not having one.

Right, I need to get back to the world of golf!

Sorry, that Plan B was just the team waking up after the equalizer, also Wolves sat back more after the goal which helped us.

Spurs are away at Arsenal, not at home to Wolves. We should have played the way Spurs did last time out against us.

That will be the Wolves that are unbeaten in five away games, including at Spurs?

Give over man, they're not a good team and we had no reason to sit back and play frightened like we did.

Guest neesy111

Spurs are away at Arsenal, not at home to Wolves. We should have played the way Spurs did last time out against us.

That will be the Wolves that are unbeaten in five away games, including at Spurs?

Give over man, they're not a good team and we had no reason to sit back and play frightened like we did.

That's just making excuses up for what was a shocking performance.  If we were 2-0 up against city and drew 2-2 I'd be disappointed, to do it against a team in the relegation zone is inexcusable.

That's the Wolves, the one that was 18th before kick off, the one that has averaged less than a point a game.

The only reason they're even in with a chance of staying up is Steven Fletcher and he wasn't even playing. There's no excuses can be made for it, it was an embarrassing result, a shameful performance and one that's not without precedent - remember West Brom last game of the season?

I agree completely, I'm just trying to retain a bit of balance here.