Alan Pardew

JH

i hate this shocking interview with john carver

“Every Monday he [Pardew] comes into work having compiled a defensive report on the opposition. That’s his project, working with our video analysts to provide players with the best information.

“This week, for example, he will talk about Manchester City’s angles of attack, their set-pieces, their movement, as well as focussing on individuals. The lads will be made aware of Dzeko’s strengths and weaknesses, the best way to nullify Silva, Milner’s incredible work-rate, everything.

“That takes care of Monday to Thursday. On Friday it’s my turn when we look at ways to get at opponents. Put simply, Alan concentrates on how not to lose and I then find ways to win.”

http://www.nufcblog.org/2011/11/carver-on-pardew-and-the-way-newcastle-run-their-week/#.T16UKc5Gxok

I think it's fairly evident Pardew has little to no confidence in either of the full backs.

Is that why we bypass midfield?

It contributes. When we try to contain the wingers come deep meaning there's a lack of options out wide.

Guest neesy111

The lack of having a go at teams must really be effecting some players confidence as they will be wanting to play their own game.

It contributes. When we try to contain the wingers come deep meaning there's a lack of options out wide.

Personally, I think Pardew is too negative, I can't remember having a more negative manager, he's probably on a par with Allardyce in that respect.

The lack of having a go at teams must really be effecting some players confidence as they will be wanting to play their own game.

no, people need to understand  this is the way pardew like us to play cautious and nick a goal or two.  hence -1 goal difference we have.

the fact that when your team's manager spends most the week on defence and then let the assistant deal with the attack, tells you what the team is about and its primary objective.

im not criticizing just think we should accept thats primary the style we play.  and doesnt mean we cant be successful at it. 

Personally, I think Pardew is too negative, I can't remember having a more negative manager, he's probably on a par with Allardyce in that respect.

Some of those negative tactics have worked in our favour this season, I agree this whole contain mentality we seem to revert too need ditching in order for us to progress mind.

no, people need to understand  this is the way pardew like us to play cautious and nick a goal or two.  hence -1 goal difference we have.

the fact that when your team's manager spends most the week on defence and then let the assistant deal with the attack, tells you what the team is about and its primary objective.

It tells you that Pardew was a somewhat defensive player and has more knowledge to impart to the defensive players at NUFC.

Some of those negative tactics have worked in our favour this season, I agree this whole contain mentality we seem to revert too need ditching in order for us to progress mind.

I know they've worked at times and I'm not going to say we'd be "x" amount of points better off if we tried something different.  I just feel the whole contain has got out of hand and it's harming us now.

The 'negative' thing coincided with S Taylor getting injured. Pre-Chelsea we pressured high up the pitch and looked to play on the front foot, that definitely changed after that and the drubbing at Norwich.

It tells you that Pardew was a somewhat defensive player and has more knowledge to impart to the defensive players at NUFC.

yep, hence why santon gets subbed for players like perch and raylor. lol

The 'negative' thing coincided with S Taylor getting injured. Pre-Chelsea we pressured high up the pitch and looked to play on the front foot, that definitely changed after that and the drubbing at Norwich.

That's a myth.

yep, hence why santon gets subbed for players like perch and raylor. lol

Santon has looked a defensive wreck at times this season.

Our defensive record this season outside of a few games scewing it massively has been class really. Especially considering our defence.

If Pards is responsible for that fair play to him, its a clear strength. Perhaps another attacking coach wouldnt go amiss though.

Our defensive record this season outside of a few games scewing it massively has been class really. Especially considering our defence.

If Pards is responsible for that fair play to him, its a clear strength. Perhaps another attacking coach wouldnt go amiss though.

-1 in goal difference, what does that tell us?

either we're conceding too many goals, 

or we're not scoring enough?

Before today we'd played 24 games with 2 fit Cb's & only conceded more than one goal 6 times.

Take away pens/Deflected goals from those 6 times, it was only 3 from 24 (Spurs, Lpool, Fulham)

Class record really.

Arse needed the last min to add themselves to that now ofc.

Poor from Pardew tonight. We were having a legitimate go at Arsenal in the first half so really, if he had used the same tactics that had served us pretty well in the first half then it would have arguably led to us getting a result imo (nicking a win that is).

Those second half tactics were completely atrocious and uncalled for. By adopting the long ball tactic, we basically decided to gift Arsenal with a lot of (too much) possession which, of course, led to a barrage of attacks from them. Such tactics also led to the entire midfield not being fully utilised and that was clearly to our detriment - it meant that Ben Arfa and indeed, our midfield became less influential as the minutes went by.

To be brutally honest, we didn't deserve to win and that's down to Pardew's negative showing in the second half - it was almost as if our entire plan for the second half was to hold onto a 1-1 draw and not "go for it". So disappointing. Oh and it's also quite worrying that this isn't the first time that the long ball has formed the basis of a gameplan. I'm really hating the sight of Krul hoofing it forward every single time the ball's played back to him - for me, Krul doesn't do that out of choice, it's quite apparent that it's all Pardew's instructions and I've got to say, I'm becoming increasingly worried about Alan's recent over-reliance on the long ball.

Pass and play, Alan, pass and play! We've seen that he is willing to adopt some form of carpet football so the fact that he's not using it often enough is so frustrating. Losing Steven Taylor has really been a massive blow for us - he was one of the players who liked to play the ball out of defence instead of hoofing it forward and by losing that key cog of the pass and play tactic, Pardew's tactics have become more direct which has been to our detriment at times. I still have faith in Pardew btw but it has to be said that these last couple of months have been really frustrating and that's really down to the manager. Pardew should really be brave and go for it in the remaining 10 games. It's time to earn your money, Alan!

Before today we'd played 24 games with 2 fit Cb's & only conceded more than one goal 6 times.

Take away pens/Deflected goals from those 6 times, it was only 3 from 24 (Spurs, Lpool, Fulham)

Class record really.

Arse needed the last min to add themselves to that now ofc.

its a fair point given the defenders we've got, can we expect to have such a great record.

colo and simpson i think are good defenders, i know simpson has this compulsion of hoofball, but set that aside defensively he is capable.

then what are we left with?  no one else.    Perch is a liability at central defence, Kadar? a kid we're not even going to bother giving him a new contract , that shows how good he is.  Saylor injured. 

raylor, santon, perch are not really fullbacks.  what we've got? fergie? unproven , heardly even get on the bench these days.

its pretty horrible isnt it?