Alan Pardew

JH

I didn't criticize his tackling ability. Jesus. If you fail to see HBA gives lots of space to opponents it is your problem. How many positions could we expose to Arsenal then? Simpson is very reliable eh?

We must play HBA, but this doesn't mean we can ignore his risk. By taking so much risk on our right, is it that strange to try to protect our left a bit more?

When do we have a back four that is that f***ing good? I really don't know. I just know except Colo we were playing championship quality defenders against Big 4 in our second half.

That would be your problem actually, he doesnt give anyone space, he's just not very good at stopping people, be it with a tackle or a block. You think we should try and cancel out our defensive frailties by defending, so does Pardew,  I think it's completely backwards.

"he doesnt give anyone space, he's just not very good at stopping people, be it with a tackle or a block" - and the end result is the opponent has spaces to run and attack Simpson directly.

I repeat, I am ok with that, I am willing to take that risk, but on the other side it's Perch v Walcott FFS.  You really think we could score a few goals and concede less, away at Emirates, with Perch, Willo and Simpson? Answer me, your answer is?

Stop going on like Walcott's any good, he's not.

To answer your question I think the performance last night is indicative of the way Pardew's got us playing, I don't think we should go toe to toe with Arsenal and try and beat them at their own game, but I reckon if he'd tried to coach a bit of attacking intent and nous into them that when we did have the ball we might have done a bit more with it as a team.

For me, even if we had drawn the match, I still would have posted the same thing I posted last night. Seriously, if we had continued the second half in the same vein as the first, we would have got a result imho.

I would have the same opinion if Santon's not injured.  That change is criminal if it is for tactical reason.  Perch made 2 fucking stupid tackles within 15 mins.  Santon seems like playing badly because he didn't get as much support from Jonas than Perch.  Watch the match again and notice where is Jonas.

Zero "build up plays on floor"

Are you seriously suggesting our game plan was to build along the ground?it happened by default when tiote or HBA were on the ball.cannot beleive how people just swallow stuff up,like when people say "pardew knows best" when a good player is left out for a poor one.are all these people watching all our matches or just reading match reports?

I watched every matches this season, I have to give up sleeping last nite and go to work immediately after the match.

It is f***ing obvious that we intentionally change the tactics to protect Perch. On the other hand, it wouldn't make sense if we start the game with a 451 and hoof the ball. Obertan was instructed to assist Ba whenever Ba gets the ball from the midfield, and spray the ball back to the wingers which was very successful for the first 45mins. this only works when we play it on the ground. Obviously this was not the case in the 2nd. Obertan was nth but s*** during the hoof ball era.

The injury of Santon forced Pardew to play Perch, and the game plan has to be changed. I have no problem for that. I can't criticize this decision. I really can't. You can have a go for wolves or all other matches but the thought of Walcott v Perch was f***ing terrible - and it proved to be correct at last. santon was a much much better one on one defender than Perch.

Nothing was successful about Obertan yesterday.

I stopped reading here.

We're quite obviously seeing the game in a totally different way. If you think someone getting the ball passed to them and then passing it to someone else is an achievement, you've set yourself up for a happy life. What Obertan did yesterday was run the ball out of play once or twice, ran with it in an incredibly promising position and then misplaced a pass to Ben Arfa, ran around a lot and completed a few passes.

This was a 5/10 performance

To answer your question I think the performance last night is indicative of the way Pardew's got us playing, I don't think we should go toe to toe with Arsenal and try and beat them at their own game, but I reckon if he'd tried to coach a bit of attacking intent and nous into them that when we did have the ball we might have done a bit more with it as a team.

So the shit Walcott costs us 2 goals last night. Thanks god he is shit.

There is something you could criticize, like Cabaye's position and movement during the 1st half.  The story is completely different for 2nd half though.  May be we should blame Pards for not saying to Ashley "a new RB/LB and CB or I quit" during January.  That would really solve the problem.

Sets out not to lose rather than to win. Slowly eroding the confidence of the better players I shouldn't wonder.

Felt sick when Arsenal scored their winner, but that was just compounding how I felt watching the long balls fly straight to Arsenal time and time - and time -  again.

his changes of formation at the beginning of the match was perfect. at half time I would sub Oberton to Perch and keep Santon further up  and double down on Walcot. Jonas should have giving cover to Simmo and HBA should have roam. We sub Tiotie and when Simmo injured Santon would have come to his position and put Shola on.

So the shit Walcott costs us 2 goals last night. Thanks god he is shit.

There is something you could criticize, like Cabaye's position and movement during the 1st half.  The story is completely different for 2nd half though.  May be we should blame Pards for not saying to Ashley "a new RB/LB and CB or I quit" during January.  That would really solve the problem.

Ok, ok, I hear you, it's not Pardew, it's the players. Been saying for months I'll finally make my mind up on Pardew next season when we've undoubtedly got reinforcements in defence.

Zero "build up plays on floor"

Are you seriously suggesting our game plan was to build along the ground?it happened by default when tiote or HBA were on the ball.cannot beleive how people just swallow stuff up,like when people say "pardew knows best" when a good player is left out for a poor one.are all these people watching all our matches or just reading match reports?

I watched every matches this season, I have to give up sleeping last nite and go to work immediately after the match.

It is f***ing obvious that we intentionally change the tactics to protect Perch. On the other hand, it wouldn't make sense if we start the game with a 451 and hoof the ball. Obertan was instructed to assist Ba whenever Ba gets the ball from the midfield, and spray the ball back to the wingers which was very successful for the first 45mins. this only works when we play it on the ground. Obviously this was not the case in the 2nd. Obertan was nth but s*** during the hoof ball era.

The injury of Santon forced Pardew to play Perch, and the game plan has to be changed. I have no problem for that. I can't criticize this decision. I really can't. You can have a go for wolves or all other matches but the thought of Walcott v Perch was f***ing terrible - and it proved to be correct at last. santon was a much much better one on one defender than Perch.

Nothing was successful about Obertan yesterday. He either didn't make a mistake or did, he did absolutely nothing of any note and please don't say 'the build up to HBA's goal'. In regards to Perch against Walcott, he had exactly the same problems as Santon, only he put in a couple of more impressive challenges. Santon while he was on the pitch offered us movement up front but if you think that taking him off means we can only play by kicking the ball 60 yards to Koscielny/Vermaelen so that they can build from the back and pass it around us for fun then you're wrong. Cabaye/Tiote/Jonas/Colo/HBA/ even Shola yesterday can pass the ball about on the ground well, they don't need to just feed Arsenal so that our defence can once again be opened up

"please don't say 'the build up to HBA's goal'"  - Why not? It deserves praise. The rest of his performance was the standard fare of mind boggling decision making, and a complete lack of conviction in his own ability.

I agree with a fair bit of what Zero has said over the last few pages. The line-up was creative and nearly worked very well, but Santon and Obertan struggled badly. We made the right substitutions, could have nicked it, but by actually throwing too many players up for the throw, an individual mistake from Simpson (who had pretty good game tbf) cost us.

I saw nothing to suggest we set out to 'hoof' the ball, but with the likes of Cabaye and Jonas struggling to keep possession, constantly chasing shadows saw us tire badly. This led to the players themselves kicking it long as the only way to temporarily relieve pressure (especially after Tiote limped out), with only effectively Shola able to try and hang onto the ball by the end with Ba barely able to move.

I'm not sure how much more I can read of people saying we didn't set out to hoof the ball, at what point is the manager accountable for how the team plays? And not just away at Arsenal btw, there's a bigger picture here that some people are completely ignoring.

edit -  and Obertan's pass to HBA deserves the same amount of praise as him tying his boot laces before the game, it was a ten yard pass on the floot into acres of space, we all could have done it.

For me, even if we had drawn the match, I still would have posted the same thing I posted last night. Seriously, if we had continued the second half in the same vein as the first, we would have got a result imho.

I would have the same opinion if Santon's not injured.  That change is criminal if it is for tactical reason.  Perch made 2 f***ing stupid tackles within 15 mins.  Santon seems like playing badly because he didn't get as much support from Jonas than Perch.  Watch the match again and notice where is Jonas.

What injury?

I didn't criticize his tackling ability. Jesus. If you fail to see HBA gives lots of space to opponents it is your problem. How many positions could we expose to Arsenal then? Simpson is very reliable eh?

We must play HBA, but this doesn't mean we can ignore his risk. By taking so much risk on our right, is it that strange to try to protect our left a bit more?

When do we have a back four that is that f***ing good? I really don't know. I just know except Colo we were playing championship quality defenders against Big 4 in our second half.

That would be your problem actually, he doesnt give anyone space, he's just not very good at stopping people, be it with a tackle or a block. You think we should try and cancel out our defensive frailties by defending, so does Pardew,  I think it's completely backwards.

"he doesnt give anyone space, he's just not very good at stopping people, be it with a tackle or a block" - and the end result is the opponent has spaces to run and attack Simpson directly.

I repeat, I am ok with that, I am willing to take that risk, but on the other side it's Perch v Walcott FFS.  You really think we could score a few goals and concede less, away at Emirates, with Perch, Willo and Simpson? Answer me, your answer is?

He hasn't been at his best, but the same could be said for Rosicky till recently. Simply put, last night he got the man of the match which suggests that your assessment of how he played is way off.

Wenger post match said it was one of the best games he has seen from Walcott, that he was outstanding. I'm in no position to argue with him.

I would have the same opinion if Santon's not injured.  That change is criminal if it is for tactical reason.  Perch made 2 f***ing stupid tackles within 15 mins.  Santon seems like playing badly because he didn't get as much support from Jonas than Perch.  Watch the match again and notice where is Jonas.

What injury?

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,91922.700.html

Groin Strain

I'm not sure how much more I can read of people saying we didn't set out to hoof the ball, at what point is the manager accountable for how the team plays? And not just away at Arsenal btw, there's a bigger picture here that some people are completely ignoring.

edit -  and Obertan's pass to HBA deserves the same amount of praise as him tying his boot laces before the game, it was a ten yard pass on the floot into acres of space, we all could have done it.

I wonder if the same people who watched Arsenal' slick one two touch passing last night  think it's got nothing to do with Wenger's coaching? The difference in the two teams approaches was like night and day.

He hasn't been at his best, but the same could be said for Rosicky till recently. Simply put, last night he got the man of the match which suggests that your assessment of how he played is way off.

Wenger post match said it was one of the best games he has seen from Walcott, that he was outstanding. I'm in no position to argue with him.

Fair enough, I was speaking more generally.

Whilst I have some sympathy with your point, it is quite easy to reverse your question and ask at what point do the players take responsibility for the football they play and how much control do you honestly think that a manager has over the mind and actions over 11 players?

It is a bit of a circular debate - no-one knows what Pardew tells the players to do, but I just find it very hard to believe that Pardew has instructed the players to pump it long for 2 major reasons:

1)  It is clearly ineffective and I have not seen any evidence in Pardew's managerial career to date to suggest that he is wedded to the long ball a la Allardyce.

2)  We didn't use such a direct style in the first half of the season.

I wonder if the same people who watched Arsenal' slick one two touch passing last night  think it's got nothing to do with Wenger's coaching? The difference in the two teams approaches was light night and day.

Indeed, i imagine it's all down to the players. Keegan had Viduka, Owen, Martins, Geremi and Butt playing free flowing football at one point man  :lol:

What injury?

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,91922.700.html

Groin Strain

Injury or not to Santon, the second half tactics were completely unnecessary. We still had the midfield and Colo to try and pass it around. Nice simple passes would have done. Pardew overused the long ball tactic last night, if he mixed it around (as in the occasional long ball mixed with carpet football - essentially the same tactics we used against Man U at St. James' in January), then it would have been alright really. However, this didn't happen, it was long ball after long ball after long ball with no sign of any variation in our play. The fact we had basically restricted Ba, our best striker, to a few touches for most of the game should have been one of the many indications that the tactics weren't working.

Whilst I have some sympathy with your point, it is quite easy to reverse your question and ask at what point do the players take responsibility for the football they play and how much control do you honestly think that a manager has over the mind and actions over 11 players?

It is a bit of a circular debate - no-one knows what Pardew tells the players to do, but I just find it very hard to believe that Pardew has instructed the players to pump it long for 2 major reasons:

1)  It is clearly ineffective and I have not seen any evidence in Pardew's managerial career to date to suggest that he is wedded to the long ball a la Allardyce.

I think the manager has complete control over how we approach games as a team and I think that the dominating tactic will out over the course of a season and when under pressure the team will revert to it no matter what, like last night. We do know that Pardew has no input on the attacking side of the game and that he spends 80% of his training time on stopping the opposition, that's a pretty clear indication of what he's telling the players if you ask me.

The use of the long ball has been alarmingly high this past month or so. Some of the comparisons to Allardyce are a load of bullshit like, that has to be said. We have seen that Pardew is willing to adopt a pass and play style but really, he hasn't been using it enough! It's so frustrating that such a system has been under-used.

I think the manager has complete control over how we approach games as a team and I think that the dominating tactic will out over the course of a season and when under pressure the team will revert to it no matter what, like last night. We do know that Pardew has no input on the attacking side of the game and that he spends 80% of his training time on stopping the opposition, that's a pretty clear indication of what he's telling the players if you ask me.

I think that that's a bit of a non-sequitur.  Setting your team up to play a disciplined, defensive game does not mean that you are setting them up to play a direct style.

Well then, you have your eyes closed and hands covering your ears.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/video_audio/61504.html?genre=6%3Bsport%3D3 12.40

Well then you have your eyes closed and hands covering your ears.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/video_audio/61504.html?genre=6%3Bsport%3D3 12.40

Yep - currently typing with my tongue. ;)

Can't see that at the moment as I am at work - is this the fabled video where some bloke with an agenda says that Pardew plays long ball football and isn't very good.  Forgive me if I suggest that that probably isn't conclusive proof of anything...

Well then you have your eyes closed and hands covering your ears.

Yep - currently typing with my tongue. ;)

Can't see that at the moment as I am at work - is this the fabled video where some bloke with an agenda says that Pardew plays long ball football and isn't very good.  Forgive me if I suggest that that probably isn't conclusive proof of anything...

What is proof then? I don't think he's saying it for fun. And you'd have to be blind to suggest Pardew sets out to play anything other than direct football.