Alan Pardew

JH

They distribute the ball better from the back, yes.

I know they do, that's my point. It's because they are encouraged to by their manager in my view, not because they've suddenly become much better footballers.

You don't think the likes of Richardson, Bridge, Bardsley and O'Shea are better on the ball than 3/4 of our most frequent back 4?

If Kieron Richardson can be considered a full back, why not Shane Ferguson?

How many times has Shane started at full back for us?

Almost on every occasion he's started for us, as far as I'm aware.

Aye, the last two games of last season plus a few more in the cup, maybe.

In truth, we have no idea if Shane Ferguson is good enough defensively to be considered a full back.

Indeed, we won't know for sure how he is defensively until the lad gets an extended runout at LB.

I know they do, that's my point. It's because they are encouraged to by their manager in my view, not because they've suddenly become much better footballers.

You don't think the likes of Richardson, Bridge, Bardsley and O'Shea are better on the ball than 3/4 of our most frequent back 4?

In comparison to Kieron Richardson? Since Richardson is crap defensively why is it even relevant?

Just been reading up on this thread. Hughton gets better with every game Pardew doesn't win, it's fucking hilarious. People are dead fast to forget the shit performances we saw under Hughton. Don't point to the 5-1 or 6-0 either, because results obviously don't matter one jot. Unless Pardew loses a game ofc.

Guest Tyson

Ferguson is a fair shout though. There are few converted wingers, who were deemed not quite incisive enough to cut the grade as top class, but have developed into well balanced fullbacks (incisive enough going forward, and solid defensively). Ashley Cole, and a certain Italian LB who starred at the WC in Germany. And that's just naming a couple.

The lad looks very tidy on the ball. Probably not penetrative enough (the same applies to his final ball) to make the grade in midfield, but the basic tools are there to work with. Jonas's defensive work-rate & physical presence would provide the necessary cover when the lad during the blooding-in phase. I can't think of a better wide partner than Jonas, when a raw prosect is still learning the defensive tools of the trade.

Slide Santon out to his natural RB, as an overlapping FB, and all of a sudden HBA (providing that Pards has the balls to play him out there, dropping Obertan) has a simple wide-outlet when he's coralled inside. There's no get-out-of-jail option for any right sided attacking midfielder, and that's an essential attacking outlet to have, particularly when you're best playmaker's natural instinct is drift inside hence they attract attention in numbers. Part of HBA's loss-of-possession of stats can be attributed to his intention to open defenses. There is greater risk in his possession, but the reward outweighs the unpredictability & risk. But another contributing factor is that he doesn't have the comfort of being able to look over his right shoulder (when he's in dead alleyway) and that accompanying wide outlet.

Just been reading up on this thread. Hughton gets better with every game Pardew doesn't win, it's fucking hilarious. People are dead fast to forget the shit performances we saw under Hughton. Don't point to the 5-1 or 6-0 either, because results obviously don't matter one jot. Unless Pardew loses a game ofc.

where i thought pardew was an upgrade on hughton was he came in and we started to win the "winnable" games at home that hughton hadn't been, unfortunately a lot of the criticism pardew is facing (however much that may be) has started creeping in as results and performances at home have faltered also

results are ultimately everything, people will put up with shit football if they walk out of the ground with the team picking up 3 points and a healthy position in the table, pretty simple really

1. good football + results = win

2. bad football + results = approval

3. bad football + no results = unacceptable 

4. good football + no results = not approved but kudos points for aesthetics

pardew is currently at #2 with danger signs pointing to a shift to number 3# or a move towards #1 if he starts selecting the right players and changes his tactics

all up to him really

Guest Howaythetoon

After williamson dallied on rhe ball resulting in a shot for norwich the camera cuts to pardew who shouts hatem fucking clear it. How about shouting at williamson you fucking idiot. Ben arfa actually retained possession.

After williamson dallied on rhe ball resulting in a shot for norwich the camera cuts to pardew who shouts hatem fucking clear it. How about shouting at williamson you fucking idiot. Ben arfa actually retained possession.

Yup +1.

Fucking knobhead that he is.

:lol: Williamson conveniently helps out the HBA fan boys.

Both fucked about when they shouldn't, both should have been shouted at but as the cameras picked up HBA getting a (deserved) bollocking the knives come out again.

Guest Howaythetoon

That little snap shot of pardew sums up his tactics, safety first. We are winning but we are all over the place in terms of shape and tactics and we seem to have dropped deep. I expect us to now try and contain them and hoof it more.

I'm sure he gave Williamson a yelling as well tbf, just the camera didn't happen to be on him at the time. :lol:

Fuck off man, he actually put the Ben Arfa voodoo doll down for a sec to start making his "NO WORRIES WILLIAMSON SON, WE STILL LOVE YOU" banner.