Alan Pardew

JH

just curious. is it really that difficult to keep hold of the ball? is not rocket science.  just pass the f***ing ball and move, keep it in the midfield and pass it around.

it gets diffcult when teams try to pass and move and walk it into the goal, im not asking for that.

all i expect is our team to be able to string half a dozen passes together in midfield now and again and relieve some pressure off themselves.

f***ing hell , either these players are completely s*** or the manager is. or maybe even both.

Actually, when the opponents have 4 players upfront for pressing, most of the time it's either hoofing or a decent dribbling from the side backs.

im talking about keeping the ball so the opposition can't pressurise  us in the first place.  they can have as many men pressing, if they dont have the ball they can't do anything.

If that's as easy as in FIFA.

i wouldnt know lol i dont play it,  but its not rocket science, string a few passes in midfield to keep procession of the ball , something our team havent tried for a long time. or incapable of doing.

I'll readily admit Williamson was poor today, and has been worse lately - but the way the crowd got on his back was terrible IMO.

I'd be interested to hear the views of supporters of other clubs but I reckon we're in with a good shout of having the most unknowledgeable supporters in the country. 95% of the comments I hear at the match are inter-galactically stupid.

So, so true. :lol:

The Williamson stuff was awful, fair enough he's not good enough but he's literally all we've got and giving him that shit when he's actually on the ball is hardly going to help his clearly brittle confidence.

Well, overall that was very unconvincing from Pardew.

He did set us up right for the first half. Thought we played some wonderful stuff along the deck, it really was great to see us keeping possession the way we did and not allowing Norwich a sniff of the ball. We took our foot off the pedal after we scored imo but overall, our first half showing was decent.

The second half however was terrible (how many times have we said that recently?), we were basically set up to defend the 1-0 lead. We were pretty much camped inside our own half for most of the second half which invited pressure from Norwich. It was pretty much a nervous affair throughout that half and our reluctance to attack, our inability to keep possession were worrying things to see. You could put that down to a lack of confidence from the players but the manager is there to motivate and inspire you so whatever Pardew said at half time was probably the catalyst for such an abysmal second half performance. I'm not saying that I know what Pardew's exact teamtalk was, it's just that it's not the first time a decent first half has been eclipsed by a crappy second half.

Btw, it has to be said that today was another example of Pardew being able to adopt a pass and play style which (again) is a really encouraging thing to see. But at the same time, it is also becoming more apparent these days that he really wants to play it safe after we score a goal. Needs to grow some balls and give the players license to attack/continue on from their first half play.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

I'll readily admit Williamson was poor today, and has been worse lately - but the way the crowd got on his back was terrible IMO.

I'd be interested to hear the views of supporters of other clubs but I reckon we're in with a good shout of having the most unknowledgeable supporters in the country. 95% of the comments I hear at the match are inter-galactically stupid.

That lad who was sat in front of us today man, doing his nut cos krul was trying to build from the back instead of hoofing it. It really took the biscuit when I heard him shout at the Norwich fans "our bird's better than yours"

Guest neesy111

I have no doubts now the long ball tactic is directly coming from the dug-out now, to go from playing really well 1st 10 mins to then just hoof ball within 5 minutes of scoring is horrifying me.

We've let Wolves and now Norwich to pass us to shreds at times is unbelievable, is it much to ask us to pass it on the deck for most of the game......

Guest neesy111

Small section of fans booing the substitution of Ben Arfa, wish they would just fuck off and don't come back.

:no:

The only positive I can come up with is that Pardew rated the clean sheet that highly with some tough games coming up he sacarificed going all out for a big win due to it. Been a while for us since we've got one, but with it we can take it in to the next game and build on it. Build fromthe back as they say.

Might give the likes of Williamson a boost, and those who play next to him some confidence in him, we are on edge with him, no doubt his teammates are feeling similar.

Even writing that it feels far far fetched and I'm certain he's just a daft boring bastard.

Its been noticable that opposition forwards have squeezed the play towards our right when we're playing it out from the back in the last few months, and this was very obvious today. I think Williamson probably had more touches than any of our players in the 1st half.

Was very frustrating to have Ba, Cisse, and Ben Arfa at one end of the pitch, very occasionally putting together some decent moves, but more often we were watching Williamson and Simpson nudging the ball to each other in slow-motion, hacking and slicing, and Krul weighing in with the odd miscued kick now and then.

I honestly think Williamson had been told not to hoof it as much as he normally does. The results of this were nearly disastarous in the first 20 mins. Amonst a number of errors A slow ponderous dribble across his own goal stood out - it resulted in the loudest 5 seconds of criticism I've heard for one of our players in ages and he was visibly shaken - there were some very nervous touches after that.

It was back to hoofball after that. Neither Ba or Cisse can really compete for the long balls against the centre backs, although the introduction of Shola helped in this regard (thought he did well when he came on).

I remember against West Brom at home their centre backs gobbled up everything v Ba and Best. Also remember that Odemwingie and Long were relentless in their harrying of our defence.

I think that this team needs a targetman who can regularly compete for high balls with Premier League defenders and I don't think either Ba or Cisse can do that.

I wouldn't be surprised if Pardew was contemplating either a 451 (gives an extra man in midfield for the defender to find), or playing Shola instead of Cisse. Reading this forum suggests that taking either of these decisions will see him slaughtered.

We have some good players but we are badly lacking in some areas - the result is often a disjointed performance. I don't really think Pardew is particularly to blame for this, and I still think hes doing well with what he has.

The only positive I can come up with is that Pardew rated the clean sheet that highly with some tough games coming up he sacarificed going all out for a big win due to it. Been a while for us since we've got one, but with it we can take it in to the next game and build on it. Build fromthe back as they say.

Might give the likes of Williamson a boost, and those who play next to him some confidence in him, we are on edge with him, no doubt his teammates are feeling similar.

Even writing that it feels far far fetched and I'm certain he's just a daft boring bastard.

:lol:

I have no doubts now the long ball tactic is directly coming from the dug-out now, to go from playing really well 1st 10 mins to then just hoof ball within 5 minutes of scoring is horrifying me.

We've let Wolves and now Norwich to pass us to shreds at times is unbelievable, is it much to ask us to pass it on the deck for most of the game......

Pass us to shreds?  Really..?

Guess I cannot go to a Newcastle game ever again because I shouted at our marvellous manager who seems more clued up on dress sense than on his players that actually make an impact on the game. 

Whenever Pardew goes, be it in 1 year or 5 years. I can see him having the same hated reputation amongst Newcastle fans as Souness and Allardyce. Yet only a few seem to realise this at the moment.

Guest neesy111

Guess I cannot go to a Newcastle game ever again because I shouted at our marvellous manager who seems more clued up on dress sense than on his players that actually make an impact on the game. 

Whenever Pardew goes, be it in 1 year or 5 years. I can see him having the same hated reputation amongst Newcastle fans as Souness and Allardyce. Yet only a few seem to realise this at the moment.

Back of the gallowgate where I am he's not Mr Popular now.  My mate said similar in the East stand as well.

I think your spot on as well, I said after the game if that is his version of playing football then it's no wonder why he's been sacked from his last 3 jobs.

I wouldn't go that far, mate. At worst, he'll probably gain a reputation akin to Roeder but a reputation like Souness/Allardyce's? Can't see it.

Yeah. I think it's really starting to hit home what we were told by the Southampton and West Ham fans and he seems to be quite a stubborn manager that never seems to learn. 

EDIT: A year is a long time in football Sifu. Anything could happen in that period and I know what I think will.

I don't dread Pardew's games as much as Allardyce's that's for sure.

Allardyce could never have produced the 3-0 over Man Utd, or the 4-4.  Not a chance.

Pardew might frustrate, as he did today, but he got us three points.  And from the sounds of his interviews, he knows he has to grind out wins with our injuries.  We certainly were better in the first half of the season, and hopefully next season with some reinforcements we'll see ourselves back to that level.