Is Mike Ashley the worst person ever to have been associated with NUFC?

AlanSkÃrare

Guest sydneycove

You can have your opinion mate, but I won't consider it as valid as someone who lives and breathes Newcastle and has done for generations.

I'm not trying to be patronising - anyone is welcome to support the club - but to suggest people are overreacting about the name of a 120 year-old city icon being changed to the tackiest brand in the country is just crazy.

You can quite honestly go fuck off then you tosspot.

I live and breathe for Newcastle you have never met me who are you to pass judgement on me. I cried for a solid two days when we were relegated, I pay ridiculous money so I can watch Newcastle play, I buy the merchandise and proudly wear it.

Guest sydneycove

For what exactly? What has he done that other owners and boards haven't already or are considering doing all over the world that makes them considered good owners.

Totally ignored the 40+ thousand fans that go week in week out and not forgetting the thousands of fans who follow the club but never attend the games.

Theres a strong feeling for Newcastle United in the community, which you seem to not "get"

Every major decision since coming back up he has been proven correct.

You can have your opinion mate, but I won't consider it as valid as someone who lives and breathes Newcastle and has done for generations.

I'm not trying to be patronising - anyone is welcome to support the club - but to suggest people are overreacting about the name of a 120 year-old city icon being changed to the tackiest brand in the country is just crazy.

Totally. :thup: Don't give a s*** if this makes me/us look like superfans.

You as well as Ian. Go fuck yourself.

You don't know me, never met me and to suggest that is a fucking joke.

You can quite honestly go fuck off then you tosspot.

I live and breathe for Newcastle you have never met me who are you to pass judgement on me. I cried for a solid two days when we were relegated, I pay ridiculous money so I can watch Newcastle play, I buy the merchandise and proudly wear it.

So you've been to Villa Park and not St James' Park? Odd.

Guest sydneycove

You can quite honestly go f*** off then you tosspot.

When did I say that you bellend

:lol: Simmer down, Skip. You're the first person to say they cried when we went down, and there was just the one lad bawling his eyes out at Villa Park moments after the final whistle. It was a joke.

Look, football is supposed to be different to other pastimes and forms of entertainment.

The club is the army of the city, it's their representative around the country and abroad. It's the thing that gives working class people something to look forward to on a weekend and 90 minutes to forget anything else that's going on in their lives. When we're kids, we can dream of playing for the team, when we're adults we can appreciate the game, the history and enjoy endless banter with friends and family, whoever they support.

For Newcastle the club is unique as well, a one-club city with miles between it and the nearest close rival. St James' Park is even more unique still, its position in the centre of the city and on the hill makes it visible from everywhere, totally inconic. You only have to look at the place or walk past it to feel massive pride, even when it's not a matchday.

I know this makes me seem like I'm overreacting, and maybe I will calm down in time (we got over everything else Ashley has done eventually) but I hoped that there was something in football that was not for sale - the soul and identity of our club.

If everything is just about finance now, then football has lost what made it great and has already become a completely different game. Maybe that's inevitable, but if so then it's sad and future generations will miss out on a lot.

All I can hope is that everyone keeps calling it SJP until Ashley eventually moves on.

[/rant]

Guest sydneycove

:lol: Simmer down, Skip. You're the first person to say they cried when we went down, and there was just the one lad bawling his eyes out at Villa Park moments after the final whistle. It was a joke.

And you wouldn't fire up at people suggesting you don't support the club like others do because of something that isn't your fault.

Relax my man. I don't see how you can criticise us for being angry about this renaming when you cried for two days over relegation. Relegation is a normal part of being a football fan, having your city's biggest icon renamed isn't so much.

Anyway, as I said I wasn't trying to be patronising, I just think it's stupid to criticise people for expressing their genuine feelings. 

Guest sydneycove

Relax my man. I don't see how you can criticise us for being angry about this renaming when you cried for two days over relegation. Relegation is a normal part of being a football fan, having your city's biggest icon renamed isn't so much.

Anyway, as I said I wasn't trying to be patronising, I just think it's stupid to criticise people for expressing their genuine feelings. 

Relegation isn't part of the culture of Australian sport. We don't have it in any of the major sports and haven't since the NSL disbanded in 2004 and nobody gave a rats arse about the NSL.

I think it is stupid to say someone who is from the city has a more valid opinion than someone not from the city.

Relegation isn't part of the culture of Australian sport. We don't have it in any of the major sports and haven't since the NSL disbanded in 2004 and nobody gave a rats arse about the NSL.

I think it is stupid to say someone who is from the city has a more valid opinion than someone not from the city.

Come on man, trying to compare name changes for SFS and Homebush with St James' is equally stupid.

Fair enough, maybe that was going too far. But what I'm suggesting is that generations of people's families have grown up with SJP at the centre of their lives. They see it every day, they visit it every weekend, they talk about it every minute. It's not even just about the football club, it's about the identity of Newcastle itself.

You're as much of a fan as me or anyone else on this forum, but surely you can understand how strong your feelings might be about this if you had grown up in the city?

Guest sydneycove

Fair enough, maybe that was going too far. But what I'm suggesting is that generations of people's families have grown up with SJP at the centre of their lives. They see it every day, they visit it every weekend, they talk about it every minute. It's not even just about the football club, it's about the identity of Newcastle itself.

You're as much of a fan as me or anyone else on this forum, but surely you can understand how strong your feelings might be about this if you had grown up in the city?

I have to say I feel passionate about a lot but what Mike Ashley is doing is just the way the world has gone. Blame modern sports. Blame player agents. Blame who you want but other than making Sports Direct the stadium naming rights sponsors I don't think he has done anything wrong. He is just trying to ensure the club is able to compete and continue to survive rather than do a Leeds.

Nah not really, a lot of people on here have supported the club all their lives their families and friends have for generations, they have lived in and around the city for generations and you can see SJP from hundereds of directions.

I really dont want to argue with you but your totally missing the fucking point.

Its our fucking stadium you douche bag, if it wasn't for generations of newcastle fans supporting the club they wouldn't fucking exist.

Please don't put all of us foreigners in the same box. Syd has his view on things, I'm a foreign supporter who has only been to SJP once, but still feel this is ridiculous.

On the other hand, visiting that City forum in the match thread, i saw the still call their stadium CoMS even after its been renamed. That won't change here either, it'll always be SJP and one day who knows, when Derek and Mike are out the door it might be re-named to SJP.

But I completely share the sentiment of everyone except those of Syd. (open your eyes dude  :yikes:)

Guest sydneycove

On the other hand, visiting that City forum in the match thread, i saw the still call their stadium CoMS even after its been renamed. That won't change here either, it'll always be SJP and one day who knows, when Derek and Mike are out the door it might be re-named to SJP.

Have your opinions all you want but now they have changed this it will never be called SJP in the media again. Way of the world and what note. Get with the times etc.

Guest bimpy474

I'm from Essex and if anyone said i wasn't a proper supporter i would smack them in the kisser, well before they flatten me, only small me like.

I have spent more money than want to remember following this club, i love this club, more than the missus, nearly more than the kids, who are now both supporters after i gave them no choice, but anyone who has grown up around the stadium, will have more connection to the place than me, its only logical but it doesn't mean they love the club more than me, imo obviously.

Guest sydneycove

its just Syds lack of compassion for something that means a lot to people.

There will be a few Newcastle fans turning in their graves at this.

You are acting like he moved us to London. When will you realise the important part of this:

We are still playing in the same location.

The stadium is still in Newcastle.

It is still the home ground of Newcastle United FC.

You can name it whatever for all I care as long as Newcastle are still playing their home matches in the same geographical location I would still consider it the same stadium it always has been to me.

I'm from Essex and if anyone said i wasn't a proper supporter i would smack them in the kisser, well before they flatten me, only small me like.

I have spent more money than want to remember following this club, i love this club, more than the missus, nearly more than the kids, who are now both supporters after i gave them no choice, but anyone who has grown up around the stadium, will have more connection to the place than me, its only logical but it doesn't mean they love the club more than me, imo obviously.

Exactly, nobody is saying anyone else isn't a 'proper supporter', all I was saying is that the landmark and the importance of the stadium to the city might be more acute for someone who has grown up around it.

As Gimp says, it's more the lack of empathy that's a bit worrying. Sure you could argue that this is the way football is going everywhere, but if so it has lost something very fundamental and fans can't be expected to agree with it.

Guest bimpy474

Exactly, nobody is saying anyone else isn't a 'proper supporter', all I was saying is that the landmark and the importance of the stadium to the city might be more acute for someone who has grown up around it.

As Gimp says, it's more the lack of empathy that's a bit worrying. Sure you could argue that this is the way football is going everywhere, but if so it has lost something very fundamental and fans can't be expected to agree with it.

I think Syd is seeing it purely from the financial side (sorry if i'm wrong Syd), he is being realisitic imo, whether we all like it or not sentiment has gone out of the game, because of money obviously, i hate it but its reality, i think apart from changing the team name or shirt colour, Ashley couldn't have picked a more emmotive issue, but its coming to most high profile clubs, its a runaway train and it isn't going to stop.

Guest sydneycove

Seems to be doing pretty well in Germany and there fans show some of the most passion in the world.

Guest bimpy474

Seems to be doing pretty well in Germany and there fans show some of the most passion in the world.

Very true, they had too as well as they have financial rules that almost aline alongside UEFA's Fair Play Rules, German teams will be at an advantage when these rules come in.

Money has made our football brilliant but an ugly beast too, its always about money.......hate it.