Is Mike Ashley the worst person ever to have been associated with NUFC?

AlanSkÃrare

Guest sydneycove

It is the way of the world and English football is just lucky it has dodged the realities of the rest of the business world for as long as it has. From a financial point of view this will only get worse if European Economies keep struggling.

It is the way of the world and English football is just lucky it has dodged the realities of the rest of the business world for as long as it has. From a financial point of view this will only get worse if European Economies keep struggling.

Surely it's not as simple as that though? There are a load of ways to raise money and cut costs. Every club in Europe hasn't renamed its stadium for a corporate sponsor. Has it?

Surely it's not as simple as that though? There are a load of ways to raise money and cut costs. Every club in Europe hasn't renamed its stadium for a corporate sponsor. Has it?

Its going that way though (and yes some of these are for differing reasons) - Bayern, PSV, Man City, Arsenal off the top of my head - massive clubs with sponsored stadia.

Spurs are going to do it, as will Chelsea. Liverpool wont as they want to move stadium, Man Utd wont as the whole Man U brand is worth more than renaming the Stadium.

I bet PSG will rename soon

Guest sydneycove

In Germany only Weder Bremen and Hertha play at unbranded stadium. Moving that way in Italy especially after Juventus opened their new stadium this season.

Guest sydneycove

Its going that way though (and yes some of these are for differing reasons) - Bayern, PSV, Man City, Arsenal off the top of my head - massive clubs with sponsored stadia.

Spurs are going to do it, as will Chelsea. Liverpool wont as they want to move stadium, Man Utd wont as the whole Man U brand is worth more than renaming the Stadium.

I am willing to put money down that Man United will rename their stadium within a decade in the biggest sponsorship deal ever.

Guest bimpy474

All true Ian, but as i've bored everyone to death with this and hate to say it again, Fair Play Rules are the reason behind this for me, thats why i'm expecting lots of clubs to follow suit, from lots of countries in the next few years, its an easy way to bring money into a club.

I am willing to put money down that Man United will rename their stadium within a decade in the biggest sponsorship deal ever.

I'm willing to bet they don't.

The Man Utd brand is so powerful that renaming a stadium would do more harm than good.

Training ground yes, Old Trafford no

Guest sydneycove

The Man Utd brand is so powerful that renaming a stadium would do more harm than good.

Slab of beer on it happening mate ;)

The Man U brand is but Old Trafford isn't so could very easily be sold off for huge amounts of cash. The Man U board said what we were doing in 2009 was  a good idea and they were looking at it.

As long as its not that shit Fosters slop you're on!

Guest bimpy474

They will have to, their debt means as far as the rules are concerned, they are not allowed into European competions, i think they are given 3 years grace to get rid of the debt, but as their debt is £600m odd, i cant see another way to raise that kind of money.

Guest sydneycove

As long as its not that s*** Fosters slop you're on!

Wouldn't make a mackem drink that to be honest.

Guest sydneycove

They will have to, their debt means as far as the rules are concerned, they are not allowed into European competions, i think they are given 3 years grace to get rid of the debt, but as their debt is £600m odd, i cant see another way to raise that kind of money.

This they really have no other way. I find it funny that they managed to sign Aon till the FFP rules come in to effect /tin foil hat.

Guest bimpy474

This they really have no other way. I find it funny that they managed to sign Aon till the FFP rules come in to effect /tin foil hat.

Be back later, got to go out now, enjoying this an all.......:D

You can have your opinion mate, but I won't consider it as valid as someone who lives and breathes Newcastle and has done for generations.

I'm not trying to be patronising - anyone is welcome to support the club - but to suggest people are overreacting about the name of a 120 year-old city icon being changed to the tackiest brand in the country is just crazy.

Totally. :thup: Don't give a s*** if this makes me/us look like superfans.

Utter bollocks from you's two like. Especially given that one of you isnt even from Newcastle...

Look, football is supposed to be different to other pastimes and forms of entertainment.

The club is the army of the city, it's their representative around the country and abroad. It's the thing that gives working class people something to look forward to on a weekend and 90 minutes to forget anything else that's going on in their lives. When we're kids, we can dream of playing for the team, when we're adults we can appreciate the game, the history and enjoy endless banter with friends and family, whoever they support.

For Newcastle the club is unique as well, a one-club city with miles between it and the nearest close rival. St James' Park is even more unique still, its position in the centre of the city and on the hill makes it visible from everywhere, totally inconic. You only have to look at the place or walk past it to feel massive pride, even when it's not a matchday.

I know this makes me seem like I'm overreacting, and maybe I will calm down in time (we got over everything else Ashley has done eventually) but I hoped that there was something in football that was not for sale - the soul and identity of our club.

If everything is just about finance now, then football has lost what made it great and has already become a completely different game. Maybe that's inevitable, but if so then it's sad and future generations will miss out on a lot.

All I can hope is that everyone keeps calling it SJP until Ashley eventually moves on.

[/rant]

Very good post. 

Look, football is supposed to be different to other pastimes and forms of entertainment.

The club is the army of the city, it's their representative around the country and abroad. It's the thing that gives working class people something to look forward to on a weekend and 90 minutes to forget anything else that's going on in their lives. When we're kids, we can dream of playing for the team, when we're adults we can appreciate the game, the history and enjoy endless banter with friends and family, whoever they support.

For Newcastle the club is unique as well, a one-club city with miles between it and the nearest close rival. St James' Park is even more unique still, its position in the centre of the city and on the hill makes it visible from everywhere, totally inconic. You only have to look at the place or walk past it to feel massive pride, even when it's not a matchday.

I know this makes me seem like I'm overreacting, and maybe I will calm down in time (we got over everything else Ashley has done eventually) but I hoped that there was something in football that was not for sale - the soul and identity of our club.

If everything is just about finance now, then football has lost what made it great and has already become a completely different game. Maybe that's inevitable, but if so then it's sad and future generations will miss out on a lot.

All I can hope is that everyone keeps calling it SJP until Ashley eventually moves on.

[/rant]

:clap:

I just looked at the team we put out in our last league game before he bought the club.

Given

Solano (Onyewu)

Ramage

Taylor

Carr

Milner

Butt

Dyer

Pattison

Owen (A O'Brien)

Ameobi (Carroll)

How could I forget Solano at right back.

There will be a day we will be saved from this fool, it could be in 1 year, 5 years, 15 years - but we will get someone in here that will buy this club and restore everything that we cherish in the heart and soul of this club. 

There will be a day we will be saved from this fool, it could be in 1 year, 5 years, 15 years - but we will get someone in here that will buy this club and restore everything that we cherish in the heart and soul of this club. 

almost sbragiaeasque.