Is Mike Ashley the worst person ever to have been associated with NUFC?

AlanSkÃrare

Guest sydneycove

Well your lack of understanding towards culture is starting to make sense.  :p

I would have to argue that I don' understand culture. I understand why people are upset by this announcement but like I said before nothing I said has been a lie. This is the way sports culture is headed. I am willing to bet on the fact every other EPL team will do this but that would be within a 10 year time frame.

Guest sydneycove

How about if they changed your national anthem from Waltzing Matilda to a Foster's jingle?

I mean, if there was a possibility that one day a company might pay to change it to something else. These are difficult times, after all.

Fosters tastes like piss. Don't actually know any Aussies who drink it.

There has been debate for years about changing the national anthem. I quite like our current national anthem (Advance Australia Fair) but have heard some other tunes that would make appropriate anthems especially if we were to become a republic. Same story with the flag design. But that is a different kettle of fish too the naming of SJP.

The Sydney Opera House is a bit of a daft comparison, tbf. It doesn't have anywhere near the same personal feel to it for the average punter that St James' does. Having said that, I'm from Melborne so perhaps have a skewed perspective.

But I sort of agree with you all on some points- the northern states in particular don't have the same feel for football (of whatever code) that Melbournians do. For example, the pies spiritual home is, and always has been, Victoria Park. There'd have been fucking riots if they tried to change that to Primus Park or whoever our major sponsor was back when we still played there. They did end up changing the name, but to "McHale Stadium" which was acceptable, as it honoured the greatest ever coach in our history.

Unfortunately, I think Sydney Cove is right in one respect- other stadiums will sell off naming rights as much as you want to deny it. I don't like it, but there it is.

Guest sydneycove

The Sydney Opera House is a bit of a daft comparison, tbf. It doesn't have anywhere near the same personal feel to it for the average punter that St James' does. Having said that, I'm from Melborne so perhaps have a skewed perspective.

But I sort of agree with you all on some points- the northern states in particular don't have the same feel for football (of whatever code) that Melbournians do. For example, the pies spiritual home is, and always has been, Victoria Park. There'd have been f***ing riots if they tried to change that to Primus Park or whoever our major sponsor was back when we still played there. They did end up changing the name, but to "McHale Stadium" which was acceptable, as it honoured the greatest ever coach in our history.

Unfortunately, I think Sydney Cove is right in one respect- other stadiums will sell off naming rights as much as you want to deny it. I don't like it, but there it is.

I do have a personal affection with two stadiums in particular.

Moore Park (better known as Aussie Stadium named after a finance company) is where Sydney FC play their home games. It is where Sydney won the first A-League Grand Final and our first A-League premiership. I have had some great memories (and horrible ones) there and would be very upset if the club tried to move to another stadium or they tried to destroy the stadium.

Homebush Stadium (better known as ANZ Stadium) is where the Socceroos play when they are in Sydney and where we qualified for the 2006 World Cup. Again that night is one of the best of my life so if I was to see the stadium moved or destroyed I would be upset.

Name changes however they have been called so many different names I really can't remember the names and just call them Moore Park and Homebush Stadium respectively.

Sydney- my lass isn't concerned with the fortunes of nufc but she's gutted about this because their changing the name of the most iconic building in the city where she spends most of her time. They're changing the name of the place where my granda went to watch the team play and where he took me to watch them. None of this makes you any less of a fan but there's plenty of reasons why this us different for you than it is for us. The fact that it's being done under the pretense of a lie just compounds the hurt.

I follow the green bay packers and would be sad to see them sell out and rename Lambeau Field (not that it'll happen given they're a non-profit organisation) however I wouldn't for one second suggest it means the same to me having never even been there as it does to someone who lives and works close by and has an emotional attachment to the place.

Guest sydneycove

Moore Park is 20 years old, Homebush 10.

And I am 21 years old so Moore Park is just as old as me and Homebush has been around for my sport supporting life. They mean more to me than the SCG ever will and I was there to watch crickets best moments in Sydney for the last 10 years.

The age of a stadium should not make it any less special.

Moore Park is 20 years old, Homebush 10.

And I am 21 years old so Moore Park is just as old as me and Homebush has been around for my sport supporting life. They mean more to me than the SCG ever will and I was there to watch crickets best moments in Sydney for the last 10 years.

Are you a WUM?

21 years old, never been to footy match in the UK, hasn't even been to a footy match at SJP and is telling people who have been going to SJP longer then he has been alive that its no big deal.  :lol:

Sorry Syd but you just dont understand.

Its called history and tradition!

Our parents went to SJP and our grandparents, even our grandparents parents went!

The stadium itself is new but the park its built on is pretty fucking old and means a lot to the local people.

Guest sydneycove

21 years old, never been to footy match in the UK, hasn't even been to a footy match at SJP and is telling people who have been going to SJP longer then he has been alive that its no big deal.  :lol:

Pathetic that you and Ian W can suggest I can't have my opinion on what will be a reality in football because I haven't been to a game at SJP. Grow up mate.

Guest sydneycove

Its called history and tradition!

Our parents went to SJP and our grandparents, even our grandparents parents went!

The stadium itself is new but the park its built on is pretty f***ing old and means a lot to the local people.

I'm sorry did I miss the presser where he said he was moving the stadium to London?

No matter what the name and I will type this in big letters:

IT IS THE SAME GROUND AS IT WAS LAST WEEK

Pathetic that you and Ian W can suggest I can't have my opinion on what will be a reality in football because I haven't been to a game at SJP. Grow up mate.

F*** me.

Can you not even empathise why people feel like this?

Guest sydneycove

F*** me.

Can you not even empathise why people feel like this?

For the name of the stadium this is an over reaction. I can understand people might be upset by it but the way people are acting is like Mike Ashley went out last night moved the club to London and raped every Newcastle fan to have ever lived.

You can have your opinion but to suggest this name change isn't a big deal is whitewashing over a 100 years of history.

Telling me to grow up  :yao:

You can have your opinion mate, but I won't consider it as valid as someone who lives and breathes Newcastle and has done for generations.

I'm not trying to be patronising - anyone is welcome to support the club - but to suggest people are overreacting about the name of a 120 year-old city icon being changed to the tackiest brand in the country is just crazy.

Guest sydneycove

He's a f***ing c***, like. No doubt about that.

For what exactly? What has he done that other owners and boards haven't already or are considering doing all over the world that makes them considered good owners since we have come back up from the Championship.

He was slated for selling Carroll - He was right.

He was slated by some for selling Nolan and Barton - He was right

He was slated for the @ St James Park - It changed nothing

He sacked Hughton - Appeared to make the right choice

For the name of the stadium this is an over reaction. I can understand people might be upset by it but the way people are acting is like Mike Ashley went out last night moved the club to London and raped every Newcastle fan to have ever lived.

Over the top comments :lol:

He's a f***ing c***, like. No doubt about that.

For what exactly? What has he done that other owners and boards haven't already or are considering doing all over the world that makes them considered good owners.

We really can't have this entire debate again from scratch, I couldn't take it.

You can have your opinion mate, but I won't consider it as valid as someone who lives and breathes Newcastle and has done for generations.

I'm not trying to be patronising - anyone is welcome to support the club - but to suggest people are overreacting about the name of a 120 year-old city icon being changed to the tackiest brand in the country is just crazy.

Totally. :thup: Don't give a shit if this makes me/us look like superfans.

For what exactly? What has he done that other owners and boards haven't already or are considering doing all over the world that makes them considered good owners.

Totally ignored the 40+ thousand fans that go week in week out and not forgetting the thousands of fans who follow the club but never attend the games.

Theres a strong feeling for Newcastle United in the community, which you seem to not "get"