Is Mike Ashley the worst person ever to have been associated with NUFC?

AlanSkÃrare

You folk who feel they've been unfairly labelled as Ashley apologists - just as a benchmark, what could Mike do which would make you say "OK, that's completely unforgivable" and join the 'mob'?  Sell Tiote and colo without replacing them?  Sell off SJP?  Change the name of the Milburn stand?  Get us relegated again?  Or is there literally nothing he could do where you wouldn't feel the need to speak up on his behalf when people slag him off?

It's too broad a question though, who knows? I'm not aware of anyone who hasn't criticised a lot of what Ashley has done.

You could equally put it the other way round - what would Ashley have to do to make you think he was doing some things right? Buy one of the most exciting attacking midfielders in Europe? Sign a French league winner and one of the best defensive midfielders in the league? Get a promising young Italian international fullback from Inter Milan? Bounce back from a relegation, finish the season well and start the following season with some good results? Put our finances on a sounder footing?

But I wouldn't ask it like that because I know it's not black and white. I'm not trying to speak up on Ashley's behalf, I'm trying to highlight that the situation at the club isn't as dire as some people think, and everything we do isn't bad or part of some evil plan to punish Geordies.

Get a striker in as well, that'd at least shows he cares and does have a plan. We've had a decent window but we're relying on Shola,Lovercrap, Ba & Best. I like Best, I think he's seriously underrated by some on here, who knows with Ba atm. Shola is just Shola & Lovercrap shouldn't be anywhere near the team.

I agree we should have got another striker, and that's a failure. As you said though, we've had a decent window.

Personally i would have been worried who we would have sold in order to sign a striker so perhaps we're better off as it is.

Whu?  we sold carroll for 35 million this jan, we were then told ALL the money would be reinvested into the squad.  Not my words, pardews, ashleys and llambias words.

We started last season short of a striker, we were told that carroll will get the number 9 shirt, we were all a bit worried but it turned out ok, it turned out so ok we fucking flogged him and were told they would purchase a striker in the sumer.

We signed Ba on a free.  End. 

FFS

Semantics.

Told we would sign a striker. We signed Ba

Told the money would be reinvested in the squad. Pays for a few signings and wages

You folk who feel they've been unfairly labelled as Ashley apologists - just as a benchmark, what could Mike do which would make you say "OK, that's completely unforgivable" and join the 'mob'?  Sell Tiote and colo without replacing them?  Sell off SJP?  Change the name of the Milburn stand?  Get us relegated again?  Or is there literally nothing he could do where you wouldn't feel the need to speak up on his behalf when people slag him off?

It's too broad a question though, who knows? I'm not aware of anyone who hasn't criticised a lot of what Ashley has done.

You could equally put it the other way round - what would Ashley have to do to make you think he was doing some things right? Buy one of the most exciting attacking midfielders in Europe? Sign a French league winner and one of the best defensive midfielders in the league? Get a promising young Italian international fullback from Inter Milan? Bounce back from a relegation, finish the season well and start the following season with some good results? Put our finances on a sounder footing?

But I wouldn't ask it like that because I know it's not black and white. I'm not trying to speak up on Ashley's behalf, I'm trying to highlight that the situation at the club isn't as dire as some people think, and everything we do isn't bad or part of some evil plan to punish Geordies.

Get a striker in as well, that'd at least shows he cares and does have a plan. We've had a decent window but we're relying on Shola,Lovercrap, Ba & Best. I like Best, I think he's seriously underrated by some on here, who knows with Ba atm. Shola is just Shola & Lovercrap shouldn't be anywhere near the team.

I agree we should have got another striker, and that's a failure. As you said though, we've had a decent window.

Personally i would have been worried who we would have sold in order to sign a striker so perhaps we're better off as it is.

This is just purely speculation to what will happen in the coming years based on the assumption that Ashley trying to make NUFC more attractive to potensial buyers:

GKs:

Steve Harper - Think he will be gone next season. Either retiring or being release.

Tim Krul - Think he'll stay on for 1 or 2 season. If he continues his current performance I can see him being sold (champ league football/ incredible offfer)

Ole Soderberg - Don't know enough to tell.

Robert Elliot - He's gonna be our new Harper, and potensially the new No.1 if Krul is sold.

DEFs:

Fabrizio Coloccini - will, unfortunately be sold after this season. Mainly because he's on high wages, secondly because he's too old for the regime.

Davide Santon - stays for 2 seasons

Danny Simpson -  possibly being sold next season.

Michael Williamson - stays

James Perch - amazingly enough, I think he'll stay.

Ryan Taylor - will stay until the last year of his contract, then be either sold or release (barton-style)

Steven Taylor - stay

James Tavernier - Don't know enough to tell.

Mids:

Yohan Cabaye - will be here for this entire season, then will be sold during or after the next.

Danny Guthrie - will stay.

Mehdi Abeid - stays.

Dan Gosling - stays.

Jonas Gutierrez - will be sold next summer.

Sylvain Marveaux - stay for atleast 2 seasons

Cheik Ismael Tiote - will be sold during or after this season.

Haris Vuckic - stays

Shane Ferguson - stays

Forwards:

Hatem Ben Arfa - will stay for another two seasons. Mainly, because (or luckily) he's been injured for a long time.

Peter Lovenkrands - will run down his contract.

Alan Smith - will leave after the season.

Demba Ba - stay for 2 seasons.

Leon Best - Will be sold during or after this season.

Shola Ameobi - untouchable.

Gabriel Obertan - stays.

Sam Ameobi - stays.

Nile Ranger - will rot in the reserves till someone takes him off our hands. If ever...

Ryan Donaldson - Don't know enough to tell.

honorable mentions :

Xisco - will be loaned out or shipped out in a mutual consent.

Forster - will leave after this season.

Phil Airey - Don't know enough to tell.

Guest CaPiTaL cHaP

You folk who feel they've been unfairly labelled as Ashley apologists - just as a benchmark, what could Mike do which would make you say "OK, that's completely unforgivable" and join the 'mob'?  Sell Tiote and colo without replacing them?  Sell off SJP?  Change the name of the Milburn stand?  Get us relegated again?  Or is there literally nothing he could do where you wouldn't feel the need to speak up on his behalf when people slag him off?

Whu?  we sold carroll for 35 million this jan, we were then told ALL the money would be reinvested into the squad.  Not my words, pardews, ashleys and llambias words.

We started last season short of a striker, we were told that carroll will get the number 9 shirt, we were all a bit worried but it turned out ok, it turned out so ok we f***ing flogged him and were told they would purchase a striker in the sumer.

FFS

'No Capital outlay'

The other problem is that while you can commend some of the signings who've come in who have a resaleable value, if players are always going to be sold on for profit there will never ever be any consistency to the side as every player will have a price above their head. Any player that does well and catches the attention of other clubs will almost certainly be sold on. That will always hinder progression.

We may well play well under Pardew, we might stay, we might finish top ten, Ben Arfa might turn out to have a cracking season, who knows? I'll always support the side but I think it'll always be like this under Ashley/Llambias until they go.................question marks, silence, lies, lack of care towards fans, dubious decision making. There's just been too many gaffs over the past few years, too many mistakes, too many bizarre decisions and too little communication from the board to make me think otherwise.

Yes we are signing players who could be worth fortunes in the future, but truth is if they did play that well to be wanted by Chelsea or Manchester United who are we to stop those players going on to a club like that? We don't have that place on the food chain anymore.

How much is the stadium advertising worth to him

Anyone got any informed idea

This could be a massive issue with him selling the club. With the tv coverage SJP gets every other week on prime time tv what would this cost Ashley should he have to buy the timeslot

I'm no expert on advertising but I reckon branding the stadium saves him at least 5 million a year in tv advertisement

He won't give that up cheaply

It's hardly as big a deal as the fact that there's no fucker willing to pay the £300m or so that we'd cost (incorporating Ashley's debt) as we're just not worth that amount of money.

You folk who feel they've been unfairly labelled as Ashley apologists - just as a benchmark, what could Mike do which would make you say "OK, that's completely unforgivable" and join the 'mob'?  Sell Tiote and colo without replacing them?  Sell off SJP?  Change the name of the Milburn stand?  Get us relegated again?  Or is there literally nothing he could do where you wouldn't feel the need to speak up on his behalf when people slag him off?

Whu?  we sold carroll for 35 million this jan, we were then told ALL the money would be reinvested into the squad.   Not my words, pardews, ashleys and llambias words.

We started last season short of a striker, we were told that carroll will get the number 9 shirt, we were all a bit worried but it turned out ok, it turned out so ok we fucking flogged him and were told they would purchase a striker in the sumer.

We signed Ba on a free.  End.  

FFS

Semantics.

Told the money would be reinvested in the squad. Pays for a few signings and wages

Please tell me you don't actually believe the "it's paying for future wages" line. I thought only the Ian W's of this world fell for that one. Then again it was you who said you had it on good authority we had £100m for new signings if Keegan could spend it wasn't it?

I suppose Mike's just doing us a favour by keeping it safe in his personal bank account, and the easiest way to do that is to make it look like he's paying off his loan, but really it's just there waiting for the "right" players to blow it on.

FFS

Semantics.

Please tell me you don't actually believe the "it's paying for future wages" line. I thought only the Ian W's of this world fell for that one. Then again it was you who said you had it on good authority we had £100m for new signings if Keegan could spend it wasn't it?

I suppose Mike's just doing us a favour by keeping it safe in his personal bank account, and the easiest way to do that is to make it look like he's paying off his loan, but really it's just there waiting for the "right" players to blow it on.

It's all interpretation isn't it? Wages constitute investment in the squad to me. Thats not a validation of the approach, but to me its not bullshit from MA/DL/AP. Up until last season MA was ploughing £20m in to cover losses - if he hasn't had to do that then the money has been reinvested in the squad/club whatever. Its no doubt the accountant in me, but thats I how see things and why I'm not slitting my wirsts because we didn't spend £35m in the summer.

If we finish as high or higher in the league next year whilst bringing in money/lowering wages whatever then to me thats a good business plan. If I managed that in my job I'd get rewarded!

And yes your memory serves you well, I was told that during the Keegan summer there was no budget but if KK wanted to sign x/y/z the money was there.

What's happened since suggests that of course if KK wanted Henry and Beckham the answer was no, but we did spend on Colo, Jonas and Xisco and were close to getting Modric - we were also pretty close to getting Schweinsteiger when Milner left. Whether what I was told was bollocks or there was a subsequent breakdown between KK and MA that opreceded the September fall out is for debate (I guess a bit of both)

You can certainly see why he's shifted the people who sing nasty songs about him. It's almost as if he foresaw they'd be angry with him, can't imagine why

I've been critical of Ashley for a long time but I have always been prepared to be open to the guy changing my mind and actually showing that he understands a little about how to be successful in this game.

After this window though, that's changed. There was money sitting in the bank waiting to be spent, we were told it would be reinvested, there was a glaring need for a striker who could put the ball in the back of the net on a regular basis. But the money stayed in the bank and all we got all summer were players brought in to fills holes in the squad left by further player sales.

It's just not good enough for a club of our size, stature, history and fanbase to accept that we can not seem to outspend the likes of Fulham, Wolves, Stoke and bloody QPR, it really isn't. A lot on here mock the Liverpool fans for being devine righters and their attitude sometimes is a little grating, but they've got the right idea, they won't settle for mediocre, like a lot of our fans are happy to do, if they don't like it they do their best to force change, and look at them now.

The concern for me is that things are just going to get worse with the club under the current ownership, the lack of investment on the field is already resulting in a worrying drop off in attendances, 10k empty seats is bloody frightening for a club whose big calling has always been it's passionate supporters. That passion is dwindling, apathy is sinking in, make no mistake about that. And with that revenues begin to fall further, since we have to "wipe our own nose" as Ashley puts it, then investment goes even further down and sales of star players becomes more important.

This thing can only get worse with these clueless c***s in charge of this club, we need a change in ownership and we need it fast.  

Guest CaPiTaL cHaP

They are far from clueless. They know exactly what they're doing.

Next summer will difficult too. Pardew has already been priming us with his recent interview talking about how we'll have difficult transfer windows to come.

Given that he actually admitted to Gemmil (from TT) that Tiote would be here for one more season and no more i can see that it will be difficult indeed.

We started last season short of a striker, we were told that carroll will get the number 9 shirt, we were all a bit worried but it turned out ok, it turned out so ok we f***ing flogged him and were told they would purchase a striker in the sumer.

FFS

Semantics.

It's all interpretation isn't it? Wages constitute investment in the squad to me. Thats not a validation of the approach, but to me its not bullshit from MA/DL/AP. Up until last season MA was ploughing £20m in to cover losses - if he hasn't had to do that then the money has been reinvested in the squad/club whatever. Its no doubt the accountant in me, but thats I how see things and why I'm not slitting my wirsts because we didn't spend £35m in the summer.

If we finish as high or higher in the league next year whilst bringing in money/lowering wages whatever then to me thats a good business plan. If I managed that in my job I'd get rewarded!

And yes your memory serves you well, I was told that during the Keegan summer there was no budget but if KK wanted to sign x/y/z the money was there.

What's happened since suggests that of course if KK wanted Henry and Beckham the answer was no, but we did spend on Colo, Jonas and Xisco and were close to getting Modric - we were also pretty close to getting Schweinsteiger when Milner left. Whether what I was told was bollocks or there was a subsequent breakdown between KK and MA that opreceded the September fall out is for debate (I guess a bit of both)

He did not want Henry or beckham!!! FFS, he was asked ona radio station which players he thought highly of and mentioned those as well as a couple of others. 

Its fucking bullshit of the highest order.

KK said he was willing to work with a budget but they never allowed him that, they done all the deals and sold his players.

Apologies if its already been posted but this is Luke Edwards article in todays Telegraph and couldnt agree more but just wish he was a bit more verbal when he was up here .

By Luke Edwards Sport Last updated: September 1st, 2011

3 Comments Comment on this article

Newcastle United asked to be judged on September 1st when their transfer business had been concluded and they have been. I find them guilty of time-wasting, penny pinching and negligence.

That’s not to say their business has been disastrous. In fact, in certain areas it has been rather good, but mistakes has been made and, perhaps worse still, there has been a startling lack of ambition shown given the position of strength they were in when the window opened.

With £35m from the sale of Andy Carroll supposedly sitting in a separate bank account waiting to be used, Newcastle United have only re-invested a smidgeon of that back into the team.

After finishing a creditable 12th in their first season back in the top flight and with the core of a competitive squad in place, they have stood still, not gone forward. The squad has changed, but it is highly debatable it is stronger than it was in May.

That, ultimately, means it has been a disappointing window. With money to re-invest and money brought in through player sales, Newcastle’s net spend on transfer fees is around £2m. Nobody expected that sum to be so small.

Other money has been committed, wages, agent and signing on fees all add up, but with big earners like Joey Barton, Sol Campbell, Jose Enrique and Kevin Nolan leaving, it is hard to see how the wage bill has risen.

Managing Director Derek Llambias’s overwhelming mission this summer has been value for money, it is his mantra, it is how he does business and there is something to be said for that approach in a market that is always capable of losing touch with reality.

But in the quest for a bargain, the perfect transfer where Newcastle would not be forced to pay a pound more than the valuation they had put on a player, Newcastle lost sight of what was so badly needed, even though manager Alan Pardew rarely let up in his highlighting of the issue.

When you really need something, or you really want to improve something, you often have to pay more than you would like for it. If the demand is great, the price is high. Pardew demanded a striker to replace Carroll, Newcastle failed to supply it.

If you are trying to buy a house and other people are interested, it is the seller who benefits because one will have to pay more than the other to get it. Newcastle refused to do that.

They were stubborn and, having driven hard bargains for the likes of Hatem Ben Arfa and Yohan Cabaye, they seem to believe they can do the same every time. They cannot.

Those in charge of securing the signatures of players have failed their manager, who will now have to make do with what he has got until January, a window where value for money is virtually non-existent.

With three weeks to go until deadline day, Newcastle were still searching for a left-back replacement for Jose Enrique and a striker to replace Carroll, who left in January.

They managed to get a left-back, but despite knowing for the best part of eight months that a striker was needed to score the goals Carroll’s departure had taken out of the side, Newcastle failed to get one.

They tried. A £10m bid for Kevin Gameiro was made and accepted, but the Frenchman went to PSG instead. A £8m offer for Mevlut Erdinc was made and accepted, but the Turk wanted to stay at PSG.

An £8m bid was made to Sochaux for Modibo Maiga, but it was never accepted and Newcastle refused to raise it. A £10m offer for Papiss Demba Cisse was made with a day left in the window and rejected by Freiburg. It was not increased on the final day.

A £10.6m offer was accepted by FC Twente for Bryan Ruiz, but it arrived just hours before the close of the window when, in reality, it was never likely to be successful when he had already given his word to Fulham.

If Newcastle wanted Ruiz why not offer that amount with three days left, or with a whole day to play with? Instead they tried to hijack a deal that was almost done.

With all these bids, Newcastle had months to look at targets and months to sort out a price. In fact, the Ruiz bid seems like a stunt to try and divert the flak that is now flying their way.

After all, this is a club which offered Wigan £12m for Charles N’Zogbia on the final day of the January window with the Carroll money in their bank, but decided the same player was too expensive at £9m this summer before he signed for Aston Villa.

There are positives which Pardew will have to take comfort from as he bites his tongue. He will be left to defend a regime in public which has let him down, while knowing it is his words about a striker being signed that will come back to haunt him. Phrases like 100% certain and the squad will not be stronger without one will be used as a stick to beat him with.

Those positives are: Cabaye looks a bargain at £4.5m from Lille, Gabriel Obertan has brought pace and energy to the right-flank, Demba Ba has an excellent track record in Germany and West Ham, Sylvain Marveaux is not quite match fit, but he is a potentially exciting winger and Davide Stanton is a young Italian defender favourably compared to Paolo Maldini during his time at Inter Milan.

Yet, as every Newcastle supporters knows, Newcastle’s squad has lost its two top goalscorers from last season – Carroll and Nolan – it’s spiky motivational force – Barton – and it’s flying left-back – Enrique. These are gaps that have been filled, but we have no idea how successfully.

As things stand, Newcastle United, with an impressive seven points from their first three games, could be in trouble if injuries strike in defence or attack.

It should not have been this way. They have allowed a positive start to the season to be engulfed by a negative end to the transfer window.

They have created problems for themselves and, not for the first time, shot themselves in the foot. Pardew will have to make sure they limp on the best he can.

This is just purely speculation to what will happen in the coming years based on the assumption that Ashley trying to make NUFC more attractive to potensial buyers:

GKs:

Steve Harper - Think he will be gone next season. Either retiring or being release.

Tim Krul - Think he'll stay on for 1 or 2 season. If he continues his current performance I can see him being sold (champ league football/ incredible offfer)

Forster - will leave after this season.

I think Krul would be sold for over 10m next summer and we'll install Forster.  That's why it's a season-long loan for Forster instead of a permanent one.

That is a very good balanced article by Edwards. I think Pardew has been let down.

It is.

Also agree with the point you made in other thread regarding scouting and the apparent breakdown when it reaches MD or CEO level (i.e. whatever Lambias is)

It obviously requires a considerable amount of nous to get deals done when a club is reluctant to sell, and unless there is a technicality involved, it seems to be something Llambias is lacking in.