Is Mike Ashley the worst person ever to have been associated with NUFC?

AlanSkÃrare

Massive over reaction to this on this board to be honest.

Heritage, history, iconic image/name. Some things are worth more than money and there is a line you shouldnt cross.

Exactly.

So you would rather see the club miss out on a big revenue stream giving an advantage to not only the other clubs in England but also in Europe?

As it stands, we're going to get absolute fuck all money from this.

Guest ykmkmdd

We're unbeaten in 6 months and 3rd in the league - he can rebrand my missus as Mrs Sports Direct and I'll make her wear Donnay trackies every day if it helps maintain the upward trajectory tbh.

just made a good point

Jobey07 Andrew Jobe

No company would have gone straight from SJP to their sponsor, to much bad press, Saving #NUFC from Sports Direct Arena is better for them.

2 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Guest sydneycove

Have you ever been within a thousand miles of Newcastle btw? The one in England I mean.

Why should that matter. Give me a good enough reason and I will give you an answer.

Guest Roger Kint

Heritage, history, iconic image/name. Some things are worth more than money and there is a line you shouldnt cross.

Exactly.

So you would rather see the club miss out on a big revenue stream giving an advantage to not only the other clubs in England but also in Europe?

Just like the £35m we have to spend...................

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

We'll see how he feels when the rename Australia - Sports Direct Warehouse.

Really.... :facepalm:

Hasn't even happened and already you're overreacting.

Sydney mate, not have a go at you...

I see the stadium every single day of my life (just about), its been called St james' park for over 100 years.  Its basically like a church or an indian burial ground.

Its secret land.

I appreciate the modern world or brands and sponsor ships etc but its a bit off tbh.

For yourself, its easy to say we are making a big deal of it but when you have lived in the shadow of SJP all yourlife its a bit gut wrenching when its suddenly renamed Sports Direct Arean. 

I see the stadium every single day of my life (just about), its been called St james' park for over 100 years.  Its basically like a church or an indian burial ground.

Its secret land.

I appreciate the modern world or brands and sponsor ships etc but its a bit off tbh.

For yourself, its easy to say we are making a big deal of it but when you have lived in the shadow of SJP all yourlife its a bit gut wrenching when its suddenly renamed Sports Direct Arean. 

Good post and if you don't understand that St James' is many a Geordies cathedral then, well, you just won't get it.

Guest Roger Kint

Aside from clearing whats left of Ashleys loan i dont see any other outcome to this sure as hell wont go into the team. Lying Llambias in the sun today said SD pays for this club, even though our accounts clearly say otherwise. Fucking wanker  :rant:

Have you ever been within a thousand miles of Newcastle btw? The one in England I mean.

Why should that matter. Give me a good enough reason and I will give you an answer.

You're demonstrating precisely zero appreciation of what this means to a lot of fans of the club. Most of whom reside within the area.

Can you answer the question?

Guest sydneycove

Its secret land.

I appreciate what you are trying to suggest but what you are suggesting is wrong. To say I love/appreciate the club less because I live in Australia is just not true. I fully appreciate what the ground, jersey and city mean. I stay up like every other Newcastle fan in Australia till ridiculous times just to watch us play QPR. We got lucky over here as the majority of our Championship season was shown on Fox Sports and I still got up and watched or streamed the game so on and so on back to the first game I ever watched. Newcastle United is my passion.

But

In business terms I accept that we need to sell our stadium naming rights and I know for a fact that it won't change a damn thing about our history. We will still be the same club. The same passion will still be there and if the extra income and global recognition from selling stadium rights spurs us forward then all the better.

Guest sydneycove

You're demonstrating precisely zero appreciation of what this means to a lot of fans of the club. Most of whom reside within the area.

Can you answer the question?

To be honest I am fairly insulted by the insinuation I have zero appreciation for what this means. I appreciate why people are upset but I am just putting down basic facts and nobody has yet been able to prove any of what I say to be wrong or misleading.

In answer to your question I have but not long enough to ingrate myself with the culture whilst in the city. I have never been to a football match in England though which is the 2nd thing on my life to do list after watching Newcastle United play at SJP/Sports Direct Arena/Whatever the fuck its called at the time I don't care it is what I want to do above anything else.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

HYPOTHETICALLY If they renamed Sydney Opera House to the Sports Direct Arena - how would you feel? I wouldn't care. This is what Dave is trying to put across.

Guest sydneycove

HYPOTHETICALLY If they renamed Sydney Opera House to the Sports Direct Arena - how would you feel?

Wouldn't give a flying fuck.

Hypothetically if Holden (do you guys have Holden's they are owned by General Motors) offered to build Sydney FC their own ground but it would be called Commodore Field for the next 100 years I would rip their fucking arm off for it as well.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

HYPOTHETICALLY If they renamed Sydney Opera House to the Sports Direct Arena - how would you feel?

Wouldn't give a flying fuck.

No, but the people of Sydney who have pride in their culture would. The Opera House is a landmark for the city and the skyline, and its part of what attracts visitors. However, us guys wouldn't care too much as we're on the other side of the world and its not something we've ever been directly invested in.

People aren't just angry at this from a sentimental point of view by the way, it further decimates our 'global brand' and makes us less attractive to corporate sponsors as a revenue stream. It's not just about choosing warm, fuzzy feelings and cold, hard reality. There is nothing at all to justify this.

Guest sydneycove

Wouldn't give a flying f***.

No, but the people of Sydney who have pride in their culture would. The Opera House is a landmark for the city and the skyline, and its part of what attracts visitors. However, us guys wouldn't care too much as we're on the other side of the world and its not something we've ever been directly invested in.

Not really. Most Sydneysiders really couldn't give a fuck about the names of the Opera House or Harbour Bridge to be perfectly honest with you. In fact if they just stopped doing performances in the Opera House most Sydneysiders wouldn't even notice.