The Sir Alex Ferguson Appreciation Thread

Optimistic Nut

He's the best manager the PL has ever had. He's been there for almost 25 years, and his ability to create new teams when players come to age is simply amazing. I think he still has it tbh. And I've only seen him talk nicely about Newcastle, a team in a city where everything revolves around football etc. The passion is what he appreciates imo.

I think it's hard for some to genuinely like him because of jelousy. Look at the history of our managers in recent times and then SAF, being at the same club for almost a quarter of a century. It's stability every club craves with a manager of that caliber in control.

Certainly prefer to watch Arsenal play than Manchester United, but Ferguson's sustained success is hard to argue against. I myself counted out ManU quite a few times these past seasons, but the way he is able to get the most of rather average squads (for the standard of an European top team), is astonishing.

Guest Stephen927

He isn't losing it like, ludicrous suggestion. The league is becoming stronger, that's all.

He has made some questionable signings, but when you've been around for as long as he has and made as many signings he has, his success rate with transfers must be very high indeed.

The fact he isn't as liked by fans of other clubs is testament to what he has achieved. People always get sick of the team that is consistently successful, as Man United have been.

Guest Stephen927

Wenger has his teams playing better football but in the grand scheme of it all, Ferguson sets his up to entertain and win. Wenger is very ignorant in this respect which is why he'll never be above Ferguson in my estimations. Ferguson has had Man United play all kinds of styles to great success as Village Idiot will be able to testify from the 2008 Champions League semi final.

You have to give Chris Hughton credit. He wasn't everyone's choice as manager but he dealt with all the financial constraints Newcastle had last season and still got all his players playing for him. And with their fanatical support, they had a big advantage." - before our match this season

“They went up last season because they were determined, had a good work ethic and worked their socks off so we knew they would make it difficult for us, we saw that last night. They were difficult to break down. That boy Carroll can leap some. He’s got incredible aerial ability.” - after our 3-0 defeat.

"They are giving him trust and five years to mold Newcastle his own way and, hopefully for them, bring some success.” - on Pardew's appointment

“They have those fans who are so emotional and fanatical, they expect to win the World Cup” - on our support

Wenger has one style of play and that's it. If it doesn't work he's fooked. Ferguson has a knack of picking the right tactic and team for each game depending on the opposition. Like he always seem to pick Park & Fletcher in the really big games, and more often than not, they'll have a stormer.

Wenger has his teams playing better football but in the grand scheme of it all, Ferguson sets his up to entertain and win. Wenger is very ignorant in this respect which is why he'll never be above Ferguson in my estimations. Ferguson has had Man United play all kinds of styles to great success as Village Idiot will be able to testify from the 2008 Champions League semi final.

Actually we were s*** that season (we finished 3rd in La Liga and miles off the pace of Real Madrid), still don't get why defeating us in that tie is seen as such a crowning achievement (probably because of what we have achieved afterwards).

And I do consider him a better manager than Wegner, much more clever and resourceful (or Wegner is just too stubborn). Just that as I neutral I personally care little who actually wins the trophies and just want to be entertained, something Wegner manages more than Ferguson.

Guest Stephen927

Man United contained you brilliantly at the Nou Camp. Not many away teams can go there in the Champions League and especially at such an advanced stage, and come away with a very good defensive performance. Hargreaves was filling in at right back too which just demonstrates my point that he has a much more versatile manager than Wenger.

Amazing manager. Absolute cunt. He may harbour a bit of dislike towards us for the battles of the Keegan years, but overall he has nothing but good things to say about us and has a lot of respect for the club. Helps that he's good friends with Sir Bobby. Still a cunt though.

Guest Stephen927

Amazing manager. Absolute cunt. He may harbour a bit of dislike towards us for the battles of the Keegan years, but overall he has nothing but good things to say about us and has a lot of respect for the club. Helps that he's good friends with Sir Bobby. Still a cunt though.

I don't think it's a dislike for us, it's more a respect. It's why he always plays a strong team, he never underestimates us.

Wenger has one style of play and that's it. If it doesn't work he's fooked. Ferguson has a knack of picking the right tactic and team for each game depending on the opposition. Like he always seem to pick Park & Fletcher in the really big games, and more often than not, they'll have a stormer.

I dunno, his earlier teams could mix it up. I just get the feeling he's set himself a personal challenge of winning on a shoestring, playing with his 'perfect' style'.

Agree with Tyneside Jill.

:clap: for his long standing success and acheivements...for me simply the greatest British manager ever, and he has had some good company with Clough, Shankly, Paisley and of course Harvey :smitten:

Sadly tainted by managing the most despicable, pernicious and vile football club in the world.

Manchester United, when I was young, were probably/arguably everyones "second" favourite team. they had a loyal following, a tradition and honour. Most neutrals would have liked  to see them win "the cup" if their team was knocked out, or do well in Europe...for me they now represent everything that has turned or is turning football into a shadow if its former self. They epitomise greed, arrogance, a bullying attitude, soulessness and above all have the most obnoxious, ignorant and simply twat faced support in the British game.

They remind me of  one of the soulless, monsters/villains from sci-fi/fantasy novels or films. All powerful, but that power is pure evil and they have not an ounce of humanity left in them.

he however is a true great in every sense.Congratulations Sir Alex. :clap:

I don't think it's a dislike for us, it's more a respect. It's why he always plays a strong team, he never underestimates us.

True. Dislike's the wrong word, like. Suppose you could just say he's never going to let us live it down and will go all out to hammer us at every opportunity until the day he retires :lol:

He's a great, but I don't think the best ever as I'd rate Clough/Taylor and the Liverpool boot room above him. With the support at ManUre and the Prem era starting, it was much easier for him to keep the club at the top than it was for the others. The club's stature and financial power makes it much easier to sign players as he has done increasingly over the years. They don't bring many youth players through any more.

It's unthinkable that a major club would give a manager as long as Fergie got to win the first one. 11th, 2nd, 11th, 13th is how he started.