Newcastle 1 - 3 Man City - 26/12/2010 - Post-Match Reaction From Page 15

Andy

I wouldn't read too much into our spell of possession. Mancini doesn't want his team to have the ball right now: they're letting us do all the hard work and stifling us where it counts.

Far more likely to concede a third off a counter.

Nile for Tiote please.

Simp Taylor Colo Enrique

Rout  Bart    Nolan  Jonas

Ranger  Carroll

Keep Tiote on. Routledge off.  Barton on right.

Simp Taylor Colo Enrique

Barton  Tiote  Nolan  Jonas

Ranger  Carroll

Thats how we should have started. One up top for us rarely works for us. We aren't enough of a threat. Carrolls been heading the ball down but we had no one in the box bar Nolan. Too obvious. In the absence of ben arfa and with shola not fit either we need to take a gamble on livewire Ranger who deserves a chance.

I wouldn't read too much into our spell of possession. Mancini doesn't want his team to have the ball right now: they're letting us do all the hard work and stifling us where it counts.

Agreed. We're forcing them back but they're extremely comfortable.

From what I have seen, this is certainly not game over. We can still get back in this, as I have observed with our attacking movements after the Barry and Tevez goals. It all lies with Pardew to push the eleven that bit further to get the goals. Refine that sloppiness and we could get the draw I predicted.

Nile for Tiote please.

Simp Taylor Colo Enrique

Rout  Bart    Nolan  Jonas

Ranger  Carroll

Keep Tiote on. Routledge off.  Barton on right.

Simp Taylor Colo Enrique

Barton  Tiote  Nolan  Jonas

Ranger  Carroll

Thats how we should have started. One up top for us rarely works for us. We aren't enough of a threat. Carrolls been heading the ball down but we had no one in the box bar Nolan. Too obvious. In the absence of ben arfa and with shola not fit either we need to take a gamble on livewire Ranger who deserves a chance.

Good to see people not taking Routledge's performance into account yet again.

Don't see how people can really complain about formations etc. Like others have been saying, seems we've done pretty damn well. It was 5 minutes of madness and two stupid mistakes. Exact same could've happened with a different formation. And this is from someone that wasn't filled with hope in the slightest when I saw the line ups.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

What we really need is an early goal, pile on the pressure, a draw would be fantastic considering where we started

Despite being in the centre, Barton's distribution has still been bloody good. Destroys the myth that he needs to be on the wing to be effective.

True, he doesn't, but it's better for the team with him out wide and Nolan in the middle. Leaving room for a second striker alongside Carroll.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Despite being in the centre, Barton's distribution has still been bloody good. Destroys the myth that he needs to be on the wing to be effective.

True, he doesn't, but it's better for the team with him out wide and Nolan in the middle. Leaving room for a second striker alongside Carroll.

Agree. Nolan is much better in CM than behind the striker.

Agreed. We're forcing them back but they're extremely comfortable.

yup, that's why we need that little spark in the shape of ranger. he's raw but plenty of times this season he's come on and frightened experienced defenders with his quick reactions, pace and energy. atm city centre halves just direct carroll away from goal and read nolan's movement off the ball.

What's Nolan been like? Done well off Carroll or anonymous? That would be my only argument for Barton on the wing. Otherwise, without a doubt, individually, he's more effective in the middle.

been involved but not having much luck