Wigan vs Newcastle United pre game thread - Sun 2nd Jan at 4pm (live on Sky)

Guest Tall Striker

I think the key word there is "decent". Krul has done okay but probably not well enough to keep out the senior pro. And I'm saying that as a Harper sceptic.

Malcolm madoald was saying a while back- that you have to give youth and Inexperience its chance, but that after a while if you rely on them- mistakes and inexperience start to creep into thier games- and that is where a good manager will bring back a senior pro and give the younger lad a break from the pressure.

Fully intending to use him again in the future, I think we are at this scenario with krul.

:sadnod: That's what I think alot have failed to understand about those wanting Harper to come back in.

Tim Krul is the future, but the more we continue to put him back in after making mistakes and poor decisions, the more the pressure will get on him and we could ruin him before he even gets the chance to become a good goalkeeper.

A decent and fair keeper rotation will help ease Krul in, and allow Harper to take some of the flack. It's a good decision imo.

yup- its not dropping, its resting-giving a break.

personally I would switch back to harper now- and for the start of next season, but I would be telling krul that he is straight in if harper gets injured and that he is the Next senior keeper at the club.

Why the hell would Harper replace Krul?

You give Krul the nod after his mistakes to allow him to atone for them against Spurs.  He does, with a world-class save.

And then you drop him?

Poor.

I think Krul has cost us at least 2 goals in the last 2 games. Not a ratio that could be allowed to continue. Man City's 1st should have seen him subbed. Spurs second should have been saved. Yes, he made a stunning save v Spurs but thats worth little if you then let a dolly in at a vital time in the game. His general distribution is fucking shit to put it simple.

That doesn't mean Harper is much better but better he is. The ideal scenario would be a new keeper but that at this moment in time is not a priority with Carroll being goosed for fuck knows how long.

I think the key word there is "decent". Krul has done okay but probably not well enough to keep out the senior pro. And I'm saying that as a Harper sceptic.

Malcolm madoald was saying a while back- that you have to give youth and Inexperience its chance, but that after a while if you rely on them- mistakes and inexperience start to creep into thier games- and that is where a good manager will bring back a senior pro and give the younger lad a break from the pressure.

Fully intending to use him again in the future, I think we are at this scenario with krul.

:sadnod: That's what I think alot have failed to understand about those wanting Harper to come back in.

Tim Krul is the future, but the more we continue to put him back in after making mistakes and poor decisions, the more the pressure will get on him and we could ruin him before he even gets the chance to become a good goalkeeper.

A decent and fair keeper rotation will help ease Krul in, and allow Harper to take some of the flack. It's a good decision imo.

yup- its not dropping, its resting-giving a break.

personally I would switch back to harper now- and for the start of next season, but I would be telling krul that he is straight in if harper gets injured and that he is the Next senior keeper at the club.

This is the key. Pardew isn't saying "You're shit Krul, out of the team", he's taking him out before the pressure gets too much - he's got an entire career ahead of him and he's only going to get better - Harper will be gone by the end of next season, then the shirt will be Krul's.

Until I see Forster in action in PL games, I am not even convinced that Krul is the default No 2 Keeper, never mind first choice.

He has made a few decent saves, but he has also had some very lucky escapes where goals could easily have been conceded due to his poor command of the area.

He has no right to be considered first choice until he comes out on top in direct competition to BOTH Harper and Forster - and we won't know that until next season at least.

While I've been a big supporter of Krul early on, these days he doesn't even seem to trust his own judgement. He no longer comes out and claims crosses after missing a couple and a spell out will do him good to recover some confidence away from the limelight.

While I've been a big supporter of Krul early on, these days he doesn't even seem to trust his own judgement. He no longer comes out and claims crosses after missing a couple and a spell out will do him good to recover some confidence away from the limelight.

classic case of young player due a break- see my post up there^

classic case of young player due a break- see my post up there^

Yeah I agree with that 100%. On to the game, I think we'll do well to get anything out of this one. Before the Carroll news I was confident but the prospect of Nolan playing off Shola is just depressing.

Guest Recoba

If Harper is fully fit then maybe take Krul out the firing line.  But Harper is slow enough without any rust and I just reckon Krul has more of a presence.

Man City's 1st should have seen him subbed.

:lol: :lol:

Stupidest thing I've ever f***ing read :lol:

Krul>Harper

a) thats not the stupidest thing you've ever read.

b)krul at the mo is no better than harper.....but he will be given games, some of the games may cost us...tough call.