Wigan vs Newcastle United pre game thread - Sun 2nd Jan at 4pm (live on Sky)

Guest Tall Striker

wtf is going on :lol: How am I being 'OTT' at all? I don't think we stand a chance without Carroll. I'm hardly going "Oh no! He's going to be out forever! We're going down! and down again!"

You also said Nixon thought it was a good thing Carroll being out. He said nothing of the sort.

And you said that I said we shouldn't bother turning up  :dontknow:

As you said it, if 'the game is already over', what is the point in turning up?

Because I'd be stupid to say we're 100% definitely not going to win. I think the game is already over because we've lost the guy that could have won us it, but it doesn't mean that we shouldn't go and try.

So by going and trying, we therefore have a chance? :thup:

0.1% more of a chance than not turning up.

:lol:

Well what a stupid question. Of course turning up and trying will give us more of a chance than not bothering. But we need quality to win us the match, not effort. And the quality will be sat in the stands.

We beat Chelsea in the League Cup with virtually all of our quality in the stands. :dontknow:

And got comfortably beaten by West Brom with alot of our quality in the stands.

Barton and Nolan? They'll be playing on Sunday will they not?

And who they going to play football with? Shola?

:lol:

I give up.

Guest Heneage

Carroll didn't score in our 5-1 drubbing of Sunderland, to my knowledge he only had one real chance of any note. He is a huge outlet for us but he is not the be all and end all. For you to say I made out like him missing was good is quite wide of the mark.

Fingers crossed I'm proved right and we get 3 points.

Carroll didn't score in our 5-1 drubbing of Sunderland, to my knowledge he only had one real chance of any note. He is a huge outlet for us but he is not the be all and end all. For you to say I made out like him missing was good is quite wide of the mark.

Carroll was outstanding against Sunderland though.

One match where Carroll made no difference? That all you got? :lol: Add to that, the fact that it is a game where form and all sort of logic go out of the window.

Like I said, look at the last nine games, and the Liverpool game aside, I think you'll find that he is the be all and end all for us at the minute.

Of course I hope we win, but I can't see who will score. And if we don't score, we don't win.

Nolan can still score, I expect to see him given license to take more long range shots.

edit: same with Barton.

I suppose it's not entirely impossible for Ameobi to score, but we'll know inside the first 5 minutes if he's still in "they think I'm good so I can play shit" mode or if he's in "I need to convince them to keep me around a little longer so I'd better score" mode.

Lovenkrands might put away a tap in. Service, which has admittedly been shoddy, will have to drastically improve.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Xisco won't play ffs. It's getting silly this.

I wonder who the next saviour will be when Xisco and Gosling play a few games and fail to set the world alight.

At least Gosling is half decent compared to the shit we've got as alternatives (Smith, Guthrie)

I wonder who the next saviour will be when Xisco and Gosling play a few games and fail to set the world alight.

At least Gosling is half decent compared to the s*** we've got as alternatives (Smith, Guthrie)

Wait until he doesn't perform well every week, then people will start sharpening the knives. Same with our Spanish friend Xis.

well duh! I think people are just looking at possible permutations from a supporters point of view, in reality it's obvious that we will stick to the safe option of Shola/Loven.

Carroll being out for this is a massive blow. Someone's going to have to step up and lead the line and try to fill Carroll's boots.

I think he'll start with Ameobi with Nolan behind but when we concede on the hour he'll bring Ranger on and bring Jonas off. We'll scramble a late equaliser somehow and come away with a point.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Nolan lone striker. Genuinely think that's what'll he go with, Smith to retain his place.

Jesus, the thought.

I'd go with the above. Ranger with Shola will at least give us a bit of pace and guile - Nolan is far too static (and easily picked up) when he plays off the front man. Also Barton back to MR in place of the inadequate Routledge. Just wish we had an option (bar Shane Ferguson) to replace Jonas - there is a man who knows his place is safe come what may. :thdn:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Shola should grow a Fro and jokingly pretend to Karate Chop people like the second coming of John Fashanu.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/50622000/jpg/_50622430_lopez_getty.jpg

Looks like the Spanish version of Ryan Taylor!  :kasper:

Looking forward to this one.  I've never seen Newcastle away from home before (Newcastle is a long enough drive as it is) but finally ended up committing to this one.  Picking up a couple of mates in Perth, driving down, going to the game then driving back home.  Gonna be a long day so a win would be appreciated ;-)