David Bentley joins Birmingham City on loan

jdckelly
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Don't get this transfer if it goes through. Is he a better choice than Barton as a right mid? We going back to 5 in midfield? Drop Tiote, Nolan or Barton for him? 7m is too much for him imo and I think he will end up being a squad player.

i could see barton in the middle that would put bentley out wide.

don't agree with it but i could see it.

I am still of the opinion that Nolan goes missing too often during important periods of the game and if it meant dropping him and seeing how that went then fair play for trying it. From what I have seen of Bentley the past few seasons I am not a huge fan however and can see him being another passenger that we feel we have to play because of his profile.

barton in the middle drops far too deep though and we end up playing with two DM's, albeit with one that can pass over 20 yards. maybe with ben arfa and carroll up top to hold the ball that wouldnt be so bad, but it doesnt work with the options we've got up top currently.

In our current style of play you're better off having Nolan alongside Tiote rather than Barton. We're very "direct" in our style (long ball merchants tbh) so when you're playing that way it makes more sense to have Nolan in the team because he'll get forward and score a few goals and get on the end of knockdowns from balls forward.

Put someone like Ben Arfa (or anyone with any sort of class on the ball, really) up top alongside Carroll and then maybe there'd be some benefit to having Barton alongside Tiote, as he's far more willing to drop deep and bring the ball out from deep than Nolan is. Of course, the problem is that he's not fantastic in that role, his passing is a bit too hit and miss for him to really impose himself on a game, but if you're looking to build a better "footballing" side then you'd have Barton in the middle of Nolan. The problem with that at the moment is that we've nobody that fits the bill to play off Carroll and our wingers aren't exactly top class either.

Personally think Barton has been a revelation out wide and I'd play him there full time if it were up to me. Then find someone better than Jonas to play on the left and a ball playing CM to play alongside Tiote and you'd have the makings of a useful front 6, IMO.

Once we get Ben Arfa back we have the makings of quite a decent first team i.e.

Harper

Simpson  Taylor/Willi Colo Enrique

Barton    Nolan    Tiote     Jonas

Ben Arfa       Carroll

The team above is pretty good, hopefully we can build on that and snap up the odd good quality player who will improve our team/squad.

Regarding inevitable injuries Its definately strength in depth we lack as on the bench we'd have:

Harper, Williamson, Campbell/Kadar/Perch, Smith/Gosling, Routledge, Ranger, Shola.

If we have 3 or 4 injuries to first teamers we really are going to struggle. We have Ben arfa out at the moment add Tiote and Jonas and add one more...... These players we do not have the depth of squad to adequatley replace.

We need Smith out and a better replacement for starters. Same goes for Perch, Best and possibly Routledge too as for me he just hasn't got it. Can't cross and when he beats a man lacks the intellegence or instinct to know what to do next.

Bentley will almost certainly be a welcome addition to the squad and possibly first team. If Barton is out then we need someone like Bentley coming in. If Nolans out Barton can go central, Bentley on the right. Bentley may even fancy a go in Nolans position. Routledge is an ok replacement to have on the bench but Bentley is a far superior replacement for inevitable injuries/suspensions etc.

If there is none then its healthy competition and Bentley and Barton and Nolan have to battle it out.

If Tiote gets injured or goes to the africa cup of nations we could well be up s*** creek.

In this transfer window if we manage to hold on to our better players. Get ben arfa signed up, Snap up Bentley and maybe one other i'll be very happy with that for now.

Guest Geordiesned

David Bentley's wife learns it's never a good idea to Twitter while you're angry: http://bit.ly/hLDEAc

On her Twitter feed, Mrs Bentley wrote: ‘What’s happening? F*** all and its starting to wind me up!!

'Sort it out Harry for f*** sake.’

:lol:

Pardew told the Chronicle: “I just think Joey has been a revelation this year.

“What I have found in the four games I’ve had is that he is in the top three performers in the team.

“At Wigan he was the best player, I thought, although Cheik ran him close.

“Whoever the offensive player we bring in will be, will not impact on Joey.

“He will be in the team.

“Whether it is right-back, left-back or centre-half – he will be in the team!

“He can play anywhere, he’s one of them.”

Joey at CB.

Pardew's mental.

I don't like his style of talking about individuals.  Opposite of Hughton's dignity.

Why are you taking things literally, he was just exaggerating the point that Barton will always be in the team...come on

Joey at CB.

Pardew's mental.

I don't like his style of talking about individuals.  Opposite of Hughton's dignity.

Look, I too loved Hughtons style, but I don't think it's fair to hammer Pardew simply because he's a ittle more humourous and open about players.

In this case, his commenting on both Best and Barton today have been great, clearly meaning a lot to Best in particular, and the comments regarding Barton are very positive for all of us considering the concern he was one of the ones leaving in this window.

Don't get this transfer if it goes through. Is he a better choice than Barton as a right mid? We going back to 5 in midfield? Drop Tiote, Nolan or Barton for him? 7m is too much for him imo and I think he will end up being a squad player.

i could see barton in the middle that would put bentley out wide.

don't agree with it but i could see it.

I am still of the opinion that Nolan goes missing too often during important periods of the game and if it meant dropping him and seeing how that went then fair play for trying it. From what I have seen of Bentley the past few seasons I am not a huge fan however and can see him being another passenger that we feel we have to play because of his profile.

barton in the middle drops far too deep though and we end up playing with two DM's, albeit with one that can pass over 20 yards. maybe with ben arfa and carroll up top to hold the ball that wouldnt be so bad, but it doesnt work with the options we've got up top currently.

In our current style of play you're better off having Nolan alongside Tiote rather than Barton. We're very "direct" in our style (long ball merchants tbh) so when you're playing that way it makes more sense to have Nolan in the team because he'll get forward and score a few goals and get on the end of knockdowns from balls forward.

Put someone like Ben Arfa (or anyone with any sort of class on the ball, really) up top alongside Carroll and then maybe there'd be some benefit to having Barton alongside Tiote, as he's far more willing to drop deep and bring the ball out from deep than Nolan is. Of course, the problem is that he's not fantastic in that role, his passing is a bit too hit and miss for him to really impose himself on a game, but if you're looking to build a better "footballing" side then you'd have Barton in the middle of Nolan. The problem with that at the moment is that we've nobody that fits the bill to play off Carroll and our wingers aren't exactly top class either.

Personally think Barton has been a revelation out wide and I'd play him there full time if it were up to me. Then find someone better than Jonas to play on the left and a ball playing CM to play alongside Tiote and you'd have the makings of a useful front 6, IMO.

True. Charlie Adam fits the ball for the central midfielder imo. Dunno about the left wing.

David Bentley's wife learns it's never a good idea to Twitter while you're angry: http://bit.ly/hLDEAc

On her Twitter feed, Mrs Bentley wrote: ‘What’s happening? F*** all and its starting to wind me up!!

'Sort it out Harry for f*** sake.’

:lol:

There's more about it 3 pages back ...................  :pow:

Could not find it  :dave:

Guest toonlass

The twitter ITK reckons we are closing in on Bentley. Yesterday he reckoned a £25 million deal for Carroll was close. IF Carroll was going to Spurs then wouldn't it make sense to include Bentley in the deal? So he really knows fuck all!

The twitter ITK reckons we are closing in on Bentley. Yesterday he reckoned a £25 million deal for Carroll was close. IF Carroll was going to Spurs then wouldn't it make sense to include Bentley in the deal? So he really knows f*** all!

Not what is being said at Spurs.  Not close, not likely.