David Bentley joins Birmingham City on loan

jdckelly
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

For me, I don't think Bentley is even much of an upgrade on Raylor... Coincidentally, I don't know why we haven't given Ryan more of a chance on the right side of midfield, especially before we found out Barton is actually quite useful there. His delivery is just as good as Bentley's, and his set pieces are arguably better. In essence, they are both poor man's Beckhams though, and I would rather we brought in some more pace and scoring ability on the wings.

:lol:

For me, I don't think Bentley is even much of an upgrade on Raylor... Coincidentally, I don't know why we haven't given Ryan more of a chance on the right side of midfield, especially before we found out Barton is actually quite useful there. His delivery is just as good as Bentley's, and his set pieces are arguably better. In essence, they are both poor man's Beckhams though, and I would rather we brought in some more pace and scoring ability on the wings.

Bentley is streets ahead of Ryan Taylor man.

Not for the past three seasons he hasn't been..

Come on, really?

Come on, really?

Aye, that's how bad I think Bentley is as well as not understanding the hyperbole of Raylor criticism on here sometimes. Ok, so he's not great shakes as a defender nor is he a world beater, but his free kicks and crossing ability would have got us end product that the likes of Jonas and Routledge can only dream of.

This is bollocks man. It's not even close.

Yeah, they're both right sided and have a history of being good set-piece takers, so they're the same player? Bentley's touch, technique, vision, creativity, and general all round play is far superior to Ryan Taylor. Ryan Taylor is Championship quality, whereas Bentley is proven top half Prem at his best. Even the shit Bentley at Spurs is a million times better than Raylor.

Guest michaelfoster

Was Bentley the player someone went mental over because they stood still and readjusted their hair instead of tackling a player right in front of them?  :lol:

Him & Jonas will get on like a house on fire then

Yeah, they're both right sided and have a history of being good set-piece takers, so they're the same player? Bentley's touch, technique, vision, creativity, and general all round play is far superior to Ryan Taylor. Ryan Taylor is Championship quality, whereas Bentley is proven top half Prem at his best. Even the s*** Bentley at Spurs is a million times better than Raylor.

Look, I acknowledge that Bentley at his best (four years ago) was miles better than Raylor could ever hope to be, but on current form I don't think there's much of a difference. For me, this just smacks of "big name" signing syndrome; I thought Mike Ashley was about buying young talent and bringing them on, rather than bringing in "has beens" who haven't produced for ages..

Come on, really?

Aye, that's how bad I think Bentley is as well as not understanding the hyperbole of Raylor criticism on here sometimes. Ok, so he's not great shakes as a defender nor is he a world beater, but his free kicks and crossing ability would have got us end product that the likes of Jonas and Routledge can only dream of.

You say that but Routledge provided far better delivery last season.

Now to compare Taylor and Bentley :lol:

It's all well and good having pace on the wing but i reckon it's better to have one pacey byline winger and one technical who swings it in from deeper positions. I wouldn't fancy Ben Arfa on the left tbh, he's a centrally minded player who doesn't have a winger's mentality. He will be an excellent second striker, working the channels as well as picking the ball up in central positions and running at defences/picking passes imo.

Iirc Bentley definitely isn't slow, he's quicker than Beckham was in his pomp and i remember him skinning quite a few players in his Blackburn days with a mix of good skill and speed.

Yeah, they're both right sided and have a history of being good set-piece takers, so they're the same player? Bentley's touch, technique, vision, creativity, and general all round play is far superior to Ryan Taylor. Ryan Taylor is Championship quality, whereas Bentley is proven top half Prem at his best. Even the s*** Bentley at Spurs is a million times better than Raylor.

Look, I acknowledge that Bentley at his best (four years ago) was miles better than Raylor could ever hope to be, but on current form I don't think there's much of a difference. For me, this just smacks of "big name" signing syndrome; I thought Mike Ashley was about buying young talent and bringing them on, rather than bringing in "has beens" who haven't produced for ages..

he's not, he's about value. if pardew has persuded him that he can get him back to the form who often showed at blackburn then he may see it as a risk worth taking.

Guest Heneage

6 pages in an hour, wow.

I personally don't rate him. I see why Unbelievable! Compared him to Raylor because they are both fairly slow wide men who's strength is delivery but Bentley is obviously the better player who;s just had restricted time.

My issue with Bentley is more his mental weakness. He seems fine when things are going his way and he's centre stage. The fact he had to adapt to Tottenham and was around players of similar calibre seemed to stunt him and he almost seemed to hide at times. I'd like someone a bit younger and with more potential and not someone who was looking to recapture his form if you will.

On the plus side  another body can't be turned down.

Come on, really?

Would take Larsson over Bentley.

Bentley a very underwhelming move, if true.

Whoosh right?

Bentley is ideal.

Will take the consistent, level-headed performer over the... other option.

Bentley will either flop or excel.  Larsson will be solid.  I'm not one for risks.

On the radio today they said that Larsson was only on £8k per week at Birmingham - sounds more like our price range.

Come on, really?

I'll take KD's word for it. If another team come in for Alan Smith you could probably see similar comments about him being miles better than such and such of their players, but it would just be people basing an opinion on a player's ability from years ago, not his current shitness.. You're just basing your judgement on reputation, not current or even recent form..

Come on, really?

I'll take KD's word for it. If another team come in for Alan Smith you could probably see similar comments about him being miles better than such and such of their players, but it would just be people basing an opinion on a player's ability from years ago, not his current shitness.. You're just basing your judgement on reputation, not current or even recent form..

Because he's not playing regularly. How can you make a comment on a player's recent form when they're being chucked in and out of the team. No decent player will perform well if you throw them on now and again. He needs a steady run of games before anyone can say he's shit now.

Is he any better than Barton playing out on the right? He's certainly not faster, nor a better dribbler. In fact I'd argue that Barton is the more talented player out of the two as he can dictate the play for us and has the better crossing ability from what we've seen this season.

And do we even need to be spending money on this position? After Barton we have Routledge and Jonas, which should represent adequate backup for the right flank. On the other hand, we clearly have weaknesses that need to be addressed if we do have money to spend, namely at right back (zero attacking threat from Simpson/Perch), the lack of cover for Jose, substandard options up front after Carroll, a replacement for Sol, and if we're going to look at wingers, then surely the left wing would be the priority given how we're getting zilch from Jonas (and from the little we've seen, Ben Arfa clearly wants to play through the middle and will do so even if he's assigned the left wing spot).

ben arfa can play he just doesn't stay there all game.....most good players don't,  they move off the ball to where they think thay can be dangerous.

if ben arfa is to play through the middle if he's off a forward we need a central midfielder, if he's the midfielder we need another forward, that is the prority. no problem with getting cover for both full backs, especially left back as perch may just take a while to settle in, done ok at wolves and spurs.