Newcastle v West Ham, Wednesday 5th January, 7.45pm

Guest toonlass

------------------Harps

Simo------Tayls-------Colo-------Jose

Bart-------Nolan------Tiote------Jonas

-----------Shola-------Ranger

This team for me. With Carroll and Arfa out. We need to know what if anything Ranger can do when given a start. Got a feeling Best, Lovenkrands and Routledge have more chance of starting ahead of him though. 

------------------Harps

Simo------Tayls-------Colo-------Jose

Bart-------Nolan------Tiote------Jonas

-----------Shola-------Ranger

This team for me. With Carroll and Arfa out. We need to know what if anything Ranger can do when given a start. Got a feeling Best, Lovenkrands and Routledge have more chance of starting ahead of him though. 

Leicester (h) last season.

Still think Nolan really struggles in the CM role. Not sure who we should be playing instead like.

The majority of our better performances this season have come with Nolan in that role.

Still think Nolan really struggles in the CM role. Not sure who we should be playing instead like.

The majority of our better performances this season have come with Nolan in that role.

Well maybe, but that doesn't mean it's the reason, or it's working.

It's still 5 yellow cards, but he's not on the FA's suspensions list so I don't know what is going on.

Although I remember the commentating mentioning it was only his fourth on Sunday, which is quite bizarre because nufc.com has him down as having 5.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

It does like.

It does like.

Nolan was totally absent from the Wigan game, for example, even though we played well as a team.

It's a bit of a pointless discussion as we don't have anyone else decent for that position, but I don't think our good performances have much to do with Nolan - except maybe for his motivating influence.

Guest GAMMELL

Good mate of mine is a Hammer and would absolutely love to do the double over these pricks, he talks such shit it makes me hate these bastards quite a fucking lot actually.

0-0 bore draw.

It does like.

Nolan was totally absent from the Wigan game, for example, even though we played well as a team.

It's a bit of a pointless discussion as we don't have anyone else decent for that position, but I don't think our good performances have much to do with Nolan - except maybe for his motivating influence.

As has been said, we have nobody better in his position, it frees up Barton to play wide-right, he's scored as many goals from the center of midfield as any other player in the country, and other players seem to improve just for him being in the side.

He might not boss the center of the pitch, but at the same time we've never been overran with him and Tiote in there. The advantages of Nolan far outweigh the negatives.

It does like.

As has been said, we have nobody better in his position, it frees up Barton to play wide-right, he's scored as many goals from the center of midfield as any other player in the country, and other players seem to improve just for him being in the side.

He might not boss the center of the pitch, but at the same time we've never been overran with him and Tiote in there. The advantages of Nolan far outweigh the negatives.

This is true to some extent. Nolan doesn't have the engine to boss the midfield, you only have to look at how Tiote is everywhere to see the difference having a midfielder with legs makes. But what Nolan does bring to the table is good awareness, defensive responsibility, ability to get goals from set pieces and leadership. Ideally you'd want all that in a player who was an athlete but the alternatives are Smith and Guthrie at the moment and neither is up to it.

I was a Nolan critic but he's really won me round for now. Paring him with Smith at times did him no favours.

Sam Alladyce summed Nolan up well when he said he's very average when in the middle of the park. But is superb in the box when it comes to his movement positioning and scoring.

Although i still don't think he's particularly good in the center of midfield. Luckily we have the awesome Tiote who makes up for him. We need stability at the moment and he really seems to be an excellent motivating captain, seems key to our team spirit and recent revival, add to that his goals which speak for themselves and the fact we haven't got anyone better.........he should definately stay for now.

The wheels seem to come off when he and Barton are out.

We need a very good replacement option we can try in his place should he get injured/suspended/for cup games.  Perhaps Hughton had Gosling pencilled in for this role. We shall have to wait and see if he's any good. Vuckik has potential too but isn't ready yet. If we do sign Bentley and Nolan is out then Barton could go central or possibly even Bentley.

We have been overran with Nolan in the middle but not with Tiote.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Nolan is definately a player who requires others to look good. Nolans strengths are:

Getting on the end of things and being composed on the ball.

He dosnt realy have any other special qualities other premiership players have

Barton (Great delivery, cool/composed, firey)

Nolan (Great eye for goal, calm in posession)

Tiote (Just a beast)

Guti (Pace, engine, direct)

Is actually a diverse midfield portraying a number of different qualities

I really do think we are an top class partner for Carroll away from being a damn good side