So where do we play HBA?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Up top with/just behind Carroll for me as a second striker. Like a Beardsley type role.

Once we get Ben Arfa back we have the makings of quite a decent first team i.e.

Harper

Simpson  Taylor/Willi Colo Enrique

Barton    Nolan    Tiote     Jonas

Ben Arfa       

Carroll

The team above is pretty good, hopefully we can build on that and snap up the odd good quality player who will improve our team/squad.

Regarding inevitable injuries Its definately strength in depth we lack as on the bench we'd have:

Harper, Williamson, Campbell/Kadar/Perch, Smith/Gosling, Routledge, Ranger, Shola.

If we have 3 or 4 injuries to first teamers we really are going to struggle.

We need Smith out and a better replacement for starters. Same goes for Perch, Best and possibly Routledge too as for me he just hasn't got it. Can't cross and when he beats a man lacks the intellegence or instinct to know what to do next.

Bentley (should we get him) will almost certainly be a welcome addition to the squad and possibly first team. If Barton is out then we need someone like Bentley coming in. If Nolans out Barton can go central, Bentley on the right. Bentley may even fancy a go in Nolans position. Routledge is an ok replacement to have on the bench but Bentley is a far superior replacement for inevitable injuries/suspensions etc.

If there is none then its healthy competition and Bentley and Barton and Nolan have to battle it out.

If Tiote gets injured or goes to the africa cup of nations we could well be up s*** creek. So we should especially looking to strengthen Defensive midfield, Right Back and Left Wing positions.

In the hole for me as well. If we don't get a decent second striker, then would not mind him playing as a second striker but more like a center forward that drops off the target man and links up with the midfield. I noticed when he did play left wing he tend to drift inside a lot which affects our balance, plus don't think crossing is his strongest attribute. He is the type that wants to dictate play and that can only happen when he is in the middle. Also think that Jonas will play better with him around as they can link up play with clever passes and create space for each other.

Someone send this to Pardew please  :snod:

Only reservation with playing him up with Carroll is that I'm not sure he'll like running ahead of Carroll to get the flick-ons etc. Would he not prefer to attack teams from deep with the ball at feet?

Maybe try him in a more conventional attacking CM role.

depends on who else we bring in. with the squad we have either wide left or off carroll.

This.

If we don't sign anyone else, I'd play him LW a couple of games to give Jonas a kick up his arse, then move him to play off Carroll. If we sign a decent striker (say, Keane on loan), then I'd play him LW for the rest of the season.

I do think HIS best position is in the hole, where he can roam and do whatever the fuck he wants, but as our option out left isn't good enough, he'd be most useful out left.

depends on who else we bring in. with the squad we have either wide left or off carroll.

This.

If we don't sign anyone else, I'd play him LW a couple of games to give Jonas a kick up his arse, then move him to play off Carroll. If we sign a decent striker (say, Keane on loan), then I'd play him LW for the rest of the season.

I do think HIS best position is in the hole, where he can roam and do whatever the f*** he wants, but as our option out left isn't good enough, he'd be most useful out left.

if we play the way the squad is shaping up he'll be able to roam a fair bit even when "left", hopefully far more than jonas does at present.

Harper

Simpson  Taylor/Willi Colo Enrique

Bentley    Barton    Tiote     Jonas

Ben Arfa       

Carroll

Surely having ben arfa in this role means Nolan is obsolete?

I think Pardew will try him out in several positions.

I dont think he'l play upfront, hes not a out and out striker, but i think he'l play wide left, but alot higher up the pitch than a general winger like jonas is and would come inside abit too. i just reckon hes more of a player who does his bit outside the box, feeding players in or having a go himself like he did against everton. If he played straight upfront some of the more physical defenders would mark him out the game and i think he'd be inaffective.

For example

Barton  Tiote  Nolan 

HBA

Striker*  Carroll

* New striker or existing one

I think that would be fairly balanced and would be very flexible.

That all said weve not really seen enough to judge properly wheres hes most effective.

On the left wing with Jonas on the right Barton & Tiote in the middle

In an ideal world would love to play him behind a front 2 as the tip of a midfield diamond but we don't have the squad for that.

Guest taps01

Something like -

Tiote - Nolan

Barton - Ben Arfa - Jonas

Carroll

That would work!