Sebastian Larsson

Guest taps01

Can confirm that this is an awesome signing.

Bentley :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bentley's much the better player you mug.

If we get this guy in and it splits up the Barton on the right, Nolan in the middle combo I'll be annoyed. Decent player but I doubt he'd come to sit on the bench.

Bentley's a better player, but therefore more likely to needlessly displace Barton.

Fair point.

I'd still much rather see us chase a more dynamic left midfielder (or somebody who can play both sides comfortably). Not somebody who's just a crossing machine, but has a better allround game.

I know we have Ben Arfa there to come back like.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Bentley's a better player, but therefore more likely to needlessly displace Barton.

I'll be honest I see routledge as a more than adequate back up to Barton

Don't see the need for another rm

Guest Stephen927

I'll be honest I see routledge as a more than adequate back up to Barton

Don't see the need for another rm

Unless one is on the move.

Guest sicko2ndbest

In recent times I'd say Larsson's done a damn sight more than Bentley.

More down to opportunities I'd say

Guest Heneage

True I agree. But when he has had his chance he's not looked anything special. I'd say he's more of a gamble than Larsson.

Much rather have Larsson in as a squad player than Bentley, who'd likely become unsettled quite quickly here if he was in and out of the team, and who would cost more in both transfer fee and wages.

True I agree. But when he has had his chance he's not looked anything special. I'd say he's more of a gamble than Larsson.

Agree totally, the thing is i dunno if Larsson would be happy being a 'squad player' which suggests to me, if he does sign, he will be a 'starter'.

12 months ago we were pleased to sign anyone.  Maybe the underwelming reaction to this potential signing (of a decent player) shows how far we've come.  I'd be pretty chuffed.  He's a good solid, avoid getting relegated midfielder.  Earlier in the season people were seriously thinking Ryan Taylor was  adecent option in this position.  Routledge has serially failed to deliver at this level.  So by my reckoning we are one injury (to Barton, an injury prone player) or suspension (to Barton, a heed the ball when all is said and done) from being in real trouble in this pivotal position.  For these reasons, not to mention the value for money aspect this would be  agreat signing.

Agree totally, the thing is i dunno if Larsson would be happy being a 'squad player' which suggests to me, if he does sign, he will be a 'starter'.

Didn't Pardew say earlier in the week that if any player was to come in, they'd have to do so knowing that they wouldn't walk straight into the team? I think Larsson will be aware that he'll have to put up a fight - especially if he wants to play wide right.

Guest Heneage

I also think people need to remember by signing Larsson we push Ryan Taylor and potentially Smith/Guthrie further down the squad order. That can be a good thing.

Also as has already been noted Larsson's delivery and freekicks are very good.

12 months ago we were pleased to sign anyone.  Maybe the underwelming reaction to this potential signing (of a decent player) shows how far we've come.  I'd be pretty chuffed.  He's a good solid, avoid getting relegated midfielder.  Earlier in the season people were seriously thinking Ryan Taylor was  adecent option in this position.  Routledge has serially failed to deliver at this level.  So by my reckoning we are one injury (to Barton, an injury prone player) or suspension (to Barton, a heed the ball when all is said and done) from being in real trouble in this pivotal position.  For these reasons, not to mention the value for money aspect this would be  agreat signing.

Earlier in the thread someone said there was too much excitement about it.

Bentley's just as good as Barton on the right imo. Larson isn't anywhere close to them.

You going on past glories?  How about over the course of a season?  How about the second his hair falls out of place?

Not a scratch on what Barton offers us.