Conceding deflected goals

Pilko

I know that it was probably 1% of the reason we lost today's game, but...

am I the only one who is sick to death of, and completely dumbfounded by our ability to constantly concede incredibly unfortunate deflected goals? Literally every game Krul has played, he's had one deflected past him.

Chelsea 1-1 (Kalou off Simpson), Liverpool 3-1 (Kuyt off Taylor), Man City 1-3 (Tevez off Colo and Enrique), Spurs 2-0 (Lennon off Perch), Stevenage 3-1 (Nobody off Williamson).

Is it because we're not closing down properly, or just bad fortune?

Guest neesy111

am I the only one who is sick to death of, and completely dumbfounded by our ability to constantly concede incredibly unfortunate deflected goals? Literally every game Krul has played, he's had one deflected past him.

Chelsea 1-1 (Kalou off Simpson), Liverpool 3-1 (Kuyt off Taylor), Man City 1-3 (Tevez off Colo and Enrique), Spurs 2-0 (Lennon off Perch), Stevenage 3-1 (Nobody off Williamson).

The lack of closing down is contributing to the problem no doubt.

Guest sicko2ndbest

The lack of closing down is contributing to the problem no doubt.

This

If your tight the deflected shot has further to travel on its course giving the keeper time to judge the trajectory

If it gets deflected midflight it gives the keeper no chance as he is already set for the original trajectory 

Guest guinness_fiend

I'm sick of defenders turning their back on balls being hit at them.  It's not just at our club, it's also across the league.  It's the first thing you're told as a defender.  Had Williamson stood his ground, rather than turning out of the way of the ball, it'd have hit him in the face.  And not gone in.

Guest guinness_fiend

I would have to look at them again but some iirc are down to the soft cocks turning there back on ball. Our defenders are waiting for FIFA to sanction the no blammers ruling.

Oh, you arse.  You beat me to it.

Guest BooBoo

Fair point actually, its ridiculous the amount of goals we've recently conceded which have bounced in off players.

The closing down in ridiculous like. Like I said in the match thread, the defending on the third goal was pathetic, especially for a team that had just 'got back into the game'.

The closing down in ridiculous like. Like I said in the match thread, the defending on the third goal was pathetic, especially for a team that had just 'got back into the game'.

Simpson was backing off that much he nearly tripped over the fucking stewards.

2nd goal against Cardiff at SJP last February is the last one I can remember. Before that, there was one at home to Crystal Palace in the most boring game of all time and then R.Taylor's wicked deflection goal at Sheff United before that.

Partly bad luck I think. We had 20 shots against Man City and plenty of goalmouth scrambles where we could have scored one, same story against Wigan, but it just didn't happen for us. City go up the other end and it deflects off two different players and past the keeper from an unlikely angle. Just unlucky.

Some of it has to do with defenders backing off and defending too deep. It seems players like Simpson and Perch are scared of making the tackle in case they get skinned and left for dead, and instead try to rely on their pace to stay with the player. Both should take a leaf out of Enrique's book, he gets tight to players and knows he can match them for pace, and uses his strength and always takes them towards the corner flag. He's not only our best defender but I'd argue he's our best player. You look at Simpson and Perch and they're a yard off the advancing player and if he gets within shooting range he won't try to go past them he'll just have a dig.

If you allow people shots on goal and rely too often on tackling of the last ditch variety and making blocks then this sort of thing will happen.

Some of it has to do with defenders backing off and defending too deep. It seems players like Simpson and Perch are scared of making the tackle in case they get skinned and left for dead, and instead try to rely on their pace to stay with the player.

That's the way they've been coached under Hughton. Seemed to work in the Championship, too.

I understand to a point where it's coming from. If they were to be too rash and overcommit, they could go flying in to win the ball and the attacker could be around them and through on goal before they've even hit the floor.

But the extent to which they spend their time dancing backwards towards our goal without so much as a foot in, is ridiculous.

2nd goal against Cardiff at SJP last February is the last one I can remember. Before that, there was one at home to Crystal Palace in the most boring game of all time and then R.Taylor's wicked deflection goal at Sheff United before that.

Jonas got one against Blackpool last season that was pretty lucky as well. Of course, four of those goals scored over forty-six games doesn't really match six conceded over about eight or nine games.

Simpson was backing off that much he nearly tripped over the fucking stewards.

I am sure he was in front of me in the queue for the toilet.

Partly bad luck I think. We had 20 shots against Man City and plenty of goalmouth scrambles where we could have scored one, same story against Wigan, but it just didn't happen for us. City go up the other end and it deflects off two different players and past the keeper from an unlikely angle. Just unlucky.

Some of it has to do with defenders backing off and defending too deep. It seems players like Simpson and Perch are scared of making the tackle in case they get skinned and left for dead, and instead try to rely on their pace to stay with the player. Both should take a leaf out of Enrique's book, he gets tight to players and knows he can match them for pace, and uses his strength and always takes them towards the corner flag. He's not only our best defender but I'd argue he's our best player. You look at Simpson and Perch and they're a yard off the advancing player and if he gets within shooting range he won't try to go past them he'll just have a dig.

If you allow people shots on goal and rely too often on tackling of the last ditch variety and making blocks then this sort of thing will happen.

top post. sums it up imo