Location of Newcastle East End Ground

Guest Brazilianbob

Guest Brazilianbob

Can anyone tell me the exact location of East Ends ground in 1881 before they took over the lease at SJP from Newcastle West End.

Apparently it was in Stanley Street,  Byker, off Chillingham Road, but I suspect that street and surrounding streets have been razed to the ground and built upon, as I can only find a Stanley Grove which is near the Freeman Hospital.

Just wanted to find it on google maps to see where our heritage began. 

If no-one knows, might be worthwhile emailing this guy: [email protected] - Paul Joannou, he's Newcastle United's official club historian. Waiting for his new book to arrive, which promises to be a decent chronicle of the Toon since the start.

http://www.newcastleultimaterecord.com/index.html

Off topic but I never realized that this book existed until now :o

Me want.

If no-one knows, might be worthwhile emailing this guy: [email protected] - Paul Joannou, he's Newcastle United's official club historian. Waiting for his new book to arrive, which promises to be a decent chronicle of the Toon since the start.

http://www.newcastleultimaterecord.com/index.html

he was releasing the same sort of books when i started supporting nearly 20 years ago man, what differentiates them i wonder?

Guest neesy111

The council blocked a number of plans over the years to redevelop St James' which put the club at a massive disadvantage.

The 1898 OS 5" map of Byker & Hebburn shows the "Football Ground" just east of  Chillingham Road  between the Cricket Ground to the north and the Railway yards to the south on the NE corner of Hartford St and Spencer St (which parallels Chillingham Rd.) opposite Seventh St.

This is now a disused part of the rail yard  at  54°59'2.56"N  1°34'26.62"W on Google Earth - Street view has some shots over the fence

it looks like the Smoggies Stadium TBH

• 2 weeks later...
Guest paultoon

By coincidence, I've also been trying to find the location of Newcastle East End's Stanley Street ground. The location posted by Rob W off Chilli Road was the third East End ground, used from 1886 until the move to St James'. But from their formation in 1882 they played on open ground near Stanley Street in South Byker. (They were originally Stanley Cricket Club). In 1884 they moved to a football pitch near to Stanley Street. Trouble is, Stanley Street no longer exists, and I can't find it on any historical maps. Byker was expanding rapidly at the time, and Stanley Street seems to have been demolished to make way for new housing. Based on my research, my best guess is that it was somewhere towards Walker, on the way to St Anthony's church and Walker Road, because there was a lot of open space there at the time. I've found lots of references to Stanley Street in the census, and even found someone whose family used to live there, but can't pinpoint exactly where it was. I will keep looking, but if anyone has any local knowledge or knows anyone who might have an idea, please let us know!

Guest paultoon

Kid Icarus, that's near to the Chilli Road ground as located by Rob W above. East End moved there in 1886, I think because the old Stanley Street area of Byker was redeveloped to make way for new houses. But the original ground (or probably just a pitch) was located next to Stanley Street. Still looking for that.

By coincidence, I've also been trying to find the location of Newcastle East End's Stanley Street ground. The location posted by Rob W off Chilli Road was the third East End ground, used from 1886 until the move to St James'. But from their formation in 1882 they played on open ground near Stanley Street in South Byker. (They were originally Stanley Cricket Club). In 1884 they moved to a football pitch near to Stanley Street. Trouble is, Stanley Street no longer exists, and I can't find it on any historical maps. Byker was expanding rapidly at the time, and Stanley Street seems to have been demolished to make way for new housing. Based on my research, my best guess is that it was somewhere towards Walker, on the way to St Anthony's church and Walker Road, because there was a lot of open space there at the time. I've found lots of references to Stanley Street in the census, and even found someone whose family used to live there, but can't pinpoint exactly where it was. I will keep looking, but if anyone has any local knowledge or knows anyone who might have an idea, please let us know!

I have recently been looking into my family history so I dug out all the ordnance survey maps I have collated. My Byker & Heaton map is dated 1895, which is around the date you talk about but sadly it only extends south as far as the cross road of Raby Street and Avondale Road (well just south of this point) and I believe the area you refer to is south of here.

However on my St Anthony's and Bill Quay map (which is dated 1912) there is a football ground listed immediately west of St Anthony's Church. Obviously NUFC will have been 20 years old by this point and long gone from the area, but if you click the link below I have scanned the document.

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/1404/nufceastend.jpg

Guest paultoon

Hi Wilky. Interesting, thanks for posting. Previous maps just show that area as empty land, so there's a possibility they could have played football there. It looks like that ground was there until the 1930s. It is near Walker Road and St Anthony's, which my research was pointing to. But still need to locate Stanley Street.

Incidentally, the 1898 map shows another football ground in Walker slightly to the north east between Titan Road and Station Road...

Guest paultoon

Hi all

For those who were interested, Stanley Street has been located. It was part of what is now Walker Road, to the East of Raby Street.