Reports: Talks held with Jay Bothroyd

Dave

Bothroyd is an improvement on everyone of our strikers bar one, and so for now, it's a decent enough move, considering his price and the wages. To insinuate he is no better than Loven, Ranger, Shola and Best is just not true imo.

Guest neesy111

Bothroyd is an improvement on everyone of our strikers bar one, and so for now, it's a decent enough move, considering his price and the wages. To insinuate he is no better than Loven, Ranger, Shola and Best is just not true imo.

He's no better than most of them as well.  Lovenkrands goal record is on par with his in the championship, same with Best.

Shola is much better than him as Shola has proven he can be a decent premiership striker when fit.

Only one he's better than is Ranger.

Okay, guess we'll just have to see how it turns out. Assuming he is even signed. I'll be very surprised if he isn't an improvement on Shola, Best and Loven, because for me he already passes the eye test in this regard. For me he is far more technical and classy than the lot of them. Lets see if it translates to the prem.

Okay, guess we'll just have to see how it turns out. Assuming he is even signed.

Probably just another red herring IMO. I remember Hughton describing Best as having pace when we signed him. Bothroyd probably has a similar turn of 'pace'.

I don't understand why KaKa's so keen on Bothroyd tbh

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,56003.0.html

Gomis, Arda, Derdiyok, Sahin, Gomez, Pandev, Garay, Veloso, Digard, Chamakh, Skjelbred and many more.

There seemed to be quite a good number of promisingyoungsters who we were very strongly linked with this summer, and who it seems fit the criteria of the type of player the club wanted to see brought in.

You have to wonder if this squabbling between KK and the board effectively meant we couldn't seal deals for a number of them, as I doubt KK would have been familiar with them at all, especially as it now appears this squabbling has been going on from pretty early on.

I also imagine bringing some of these players in would have to have meant the sale of the higher earners who weren't really performing for us anymore i.e. Duff, Barton, Smith and maybe even Owen. However, these were also players KK apparently refused to let go.

Only God knows what kind of squad we might have assembled this summer, had we not had KK in charge. You really do have to wonder.

I'm pretty sure it was never a case of Ashley not wanting to invest more in the team this summer, but wanting to do so only after more of the high earners who weren't really contributing much, had been moved on.

Tbh I think KK screwed us royally from that standpoint. Very frustrating.

Now the obstacles of the ill informed Keegan and a lot of the high earners have been removed, and we have a manager on the same wavelength as the owner, you must be aiming a bit higher surely?

Keen on Bothroyd ... where did I say I was? I just disagree that he is no better than Loven, Best, Shola and Ranger. January is a difficult window to really get in a Ben Arfa type, so for now why not just improve the squad for a small price. In the summer get rid of Shola, Loven and Best and then look to get in substantially better quality should we stay up.

Keen on Bothroyd ... where did I say I was? I just disagree that he is no better than Loven, Best, Shola and Ranger. January is a difficult window to really get in a Ben Arfa type, so for now why not just improve the squad for a small price. In the summer get rid of Shola, Loven and Best and then look to get in substantially better quality should we stay up.

Or second thoughts get a loan striker in instead of spunking money up on a signing who like any signing is a risk

Or second thoughts get a loan striker in instead of spunking money up on a signing who like any signing is a risk

With the loan fees they aren't necessarily better than buying a player outright if his contract is up.

Why? He's hardly an adequate substitute for Carroll.

Sorry I forgot we have £27m to go sign the likes of Dzeko.

Missing the point.

Bothroyd is barely better than what we have.

Signing him in time to play in time for the derby would hardly be a game-saver.

Missing the point.

I'm not too fussed about this window for that reason. It might be better to hold off making any more mediocre signings and wait until the summer. Hopefully we'll stay up and be able to buy proper players with money from another season in the premier.

Missing the point.

Ah, but you're saying he is better ;)

Missing the point.

He's better than all except Carroll, and would be perfect backup to him whenever he's out, like the sunderland game. I'd rather we sign some young up and coming talent with bags of pace and loads of skill, unfortunately it costs money and money is something we don't have, but even then it makes sense to have backup to Carroll.