Reports: Talks held with Jay Bothroyd

Dave

Suprised at the amount of negativity towards this.

Jay Bothroyd causes defenders alot of problems, infact he is quite similar to Carroll in the way he plays, although not as good obviously.If he came in, he would be our second best striker. The thought of Carroll and Bothroyd would frighten the life our of most defences (despite a lack of pace).

The only negative issue with him is his age but if he's out of contract in the summer, one would suggest we will get him on the cheap.

If we get Bothroyd for a couple of million it would be a smart piece of business IMO.

Begs the question: why has he been playing in the Championship for nearly his entire career if he'll "frighten the life out of most defences"?

His record is not that much better than Leon Best's and certainly not as impressive as Shola's track record. we already have 3 strikers of Bothroyd's calibre in Best, Loven and Shola, with a raw player of potential in Ranger. that is 4 mediocre back-up strikers - we don't need any more. squad depth isn't the issue up-front, quality is, and it is difficult to argue that Bothroyd represents a significant jump in quality over these guys cos his record says otherwise.

The same Shola who's career track record is

Played 297  Scored 67 which is a goal every 4.4 games

Boothroyd's career record is

Played 329  Scored 83 which is a goal every 3.9 game

The same Bothroyd who has been playing in the Championship for years? fuck, even Shola pissed on the Championship. Before Bothroyd's purple patch this season he was mediocre even by Championship standards.

Jay Bothroyd causes defenders alot of problems, infact he is quite similar to Carroll in the way he plays, although not as good obviously.If he came in, he would be our second best striker. The thought of Carroll and Bothroyd would frighten the life our of most defences (despite a lack of pace).

The only negative issue with him is his age but if he's out of contract in the summer, one would suggest we will get him on the cheap.

If we get Bothroyd for a couple of million it would be a smart piece of business IMO.

Begs the question: why has he been playing in the Championship for nearly his entire career if he'll "frighten the life out of most defences"?

Football simply doesn't work like that though. Why wasn't Drogba playing at the top level until he was 25?

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion. You don't rate Bothroyd, i do. Time will tell.

His record is not that much better than Leon Best's and certainly not as impressive as Shola's track record. we already have 3 strikers of Bothroyd's calibre in Best, Loven and Shola, with a raw player of potential in Ranger. that is 4 mediocre back-up strikers - we don't need any more. squad depth isn't the issue up-front, quality is, and it is difficult to argue that Bothroyd represents a significant jump in quality over these guys cos his record says otherwise.

Played 297  Scored 67 which is a goal every 4.4 games

Played 329  Scored 83 which is a goal every 3.9 game

The same Bothroyd who has been playing in the Championship for years? f***, even Shola pissed on the Championship. Before Bothroyd's purple patch this season he was mediocre even by Championship standards.

To be fair Shola was utter dog shit with Stoke. Regardless I would prefer Shola over Bothroyd. They are similar in respect to complete lack of motivation.

Personally i can accept Bothroyd as a Carroll backup. i think he'd be a good squad player for when Carroll is injured as he has some similarities to carroll as well as bringing a few other attributes. he doesnt strike me as being a good partner for Carroll though, either in the way he plays or in his overall quality. a Bellamy type would be more use to our first team.

problem is we already have 5 mediocre squad strikers (Shola, Ranger, Xisco, Loven, Best) behind carroll - so we dont need another one of that standard. However if we're getting rid of a couple of those, and are also going after another striker on top of Bothroyd, then i don't have a problem with it.

Personally i can accept Bothroyd as a Carroll backup. i think he'd be a good squad player for when Carroll is injured as he has some similarities to carroll as well as bringing a few other attributes. he doesnt strike me as being a good partner for Carroll though, either in the way he plays or in his overall quality. a Bellamy type would be more use to our first team.

problem is we already have 5 mediocre squad strikers (Shola, Ranger, Xisco, Loven, Best) behind carroll - so we dont need another one of that standard. However if we're getting rid of a couple of those, and are also going after another striker on top of Bothroyd, then i don't have a problem with it.

I can't see any point in signing Bothroyd for any reason, he's got nothing going for him at all and just looks like a player who is playing at his correct level now.

Guest michaelfoster

Played 297  Scored 67 which is a goal every 4.4 games mainly in the Premier League and in Europe

Played 329  Scored 83 which is a goal every 3.9 game in the second tier

Fair point Wullie but Shola has made 264 appearances (all comps) when we have been a PL team and scored 56 goals or a goal every 4.7 games, he's older than Boothroyd and hardly prolific himself, and he will be 30 in October this year.

The same Bothroyd who has been playing in the Championship for years? f***, even Shola pissed on the Championship. Before Bothroyd's purple patch this season he was mediocre even by Championship standards.

To be fair Shola was utter dog shit with Stoke. Regardless I would prefer Shola over Bothroyd. They are similar in respect to complete lack of motivation.

He barely played with Stoke - 6 games wasnt it? with us he was just about scoring a goal for each start in the league before injuries cut his season short. before this season bothroyd was a worse than 1 in 4 striker at that level, which for the championship is quite frankly abysmal. his record in top flight football in england and italy is worse than 1 in 8 which speaks for itself.

saying that it's not all about goals and bothroyd does bring some other elements to the table. as i say, i think he would be a good understudy for carroll.

Guest michaelfoster

Shola hardly pissed on the championship he scored 10 goals ffs in 18 games.

Boothroyd has scored 11,12 & 13* goals in the last 3 seasons in the Championship, so he's more prolific than Shola in the Championship

He barely played with Stoke - 6 games wasnt it? with us he was just about scoring a goal for each start in the league before injuries cut his season short. before this season bothroyd was a worse than 1 in 4 striker at that level, which for the championship is quite frankly abysmal. his record in top flight football in england and italy is worse than 1 in 8 which speaks for itself.

saying that it's not all about goals and bothroyd does bring some other elements to the table. as i say, i think he would be a good understudy for carroll.

What are these other elements? I've never seen him play so I'm wondering why we are in for him other than he's coming to the end of his contract. Maybe Capello saw something that everyone here is missing?

Which is better than a goal every 3.9 games

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

What are these other elements? I've never seen him play so I'm wondering why we are in for him other than he's coming to the end of his contract. Maybe Capello saw something that everyone here is missing?

Mobile.

Wenger said: 'He is one of my regrets, he left very early. But I have said many times it is important a guy has a good career, even if he goes somewhere else. It is better than to play in the reserves.

'He went down but has come back up again and we are all very proud of him at Arsenal.'

Wenger had little to do with the decision to axe Bothroyd, but believes he has now matured into a fine player.

He added: 'Sometimes it is only later they realise they not only have to have talent, but need to work as well. Sometimes to go down to the Championship, there is no better education.

'It is true, he had a little outcome that you can have when you are 16 or 17 but he is a good guy, and he is classy; left-footed, strong body, fantastic technique.

'The incident didn't happen in the first-team group, it happened in the youth team. Liam Brady is responsible for that. They made the decision and I didn't stand in the way because it was a disciplinary matter.'

Mobile.

Mobile like Best was reportedly mobile or genuinely mobile?

10 goals in 11 starts i believe. the season was hampered by injuries otherwise he would've broken the 20 goal mark rather easily.

as for bringing in bothroyd's stats, those goals in the past 2 seasons came from 39 and 40 games. it's a shit return and makes you look stupid for comparing it to shola's haul last season.

granted he's done well this season but no better than what shola did and, like i say, it's one purple patch in a career of damning mediocrity in lower level football. not saying this definitively proves he's a crap player - it doesnt. stats are just stats, but it does prove that shola's had a better record than him across his career, which was my original point.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Mobile.

Mobile like Best was reportedly mobile or genuinely mobile?

Bit more endeavour than Best, but wouldn't really say he was any better than Best.

Wenger said: 'He is one of my regrets, he left very early. But I have said many times it is important a guy has a good career, even if he goes somewhere else. It is better than to play in the reserves.

'He went down but has come back up again and we are all very proud of him at Arsenal.'

Wenger had little to do with the decision to axe Bothroyd, but believes he has now matured into a fine player.

He added: 'Sometimes it is only later they realise they not only have to have talent, but need to work as well. Sometimes to go down to the Championship, there is no better education.

'It is true, he had a little outcome that you can have when you are 16 or 17 but he is a good guy, and he is classy; left-footed, strong body, fantastic technique.

'The incident didn't happen in the first-team group, it happened in the youth team. Liam Brady is responsible for that. They made the decision and I didn't stand in the way because it was a disciplinary matter.'

Might be better than people are giving him credit for then.

10 goals in 11 starts i believe. the season was hampered by injuries otherwise he would've broken the 20 goal mark rather easily.

How is his injury history like? Surely we don't need another injury-prone player.

Boothroyd has scored 11,12 & 13* goals in the last 3 seasons in the Championship, so he's more prolific than Shola in the Championship

10 goals in 11 starts.

That absolutely shits all over Bothroyds 1 in 4 career record at Championship level.

Bothroyd is really not better than Ameobi and has a track record of being an absolute cunt, atleast Shola has the fact he's been a model Pro going for him. Like I've said if the management think he is past his previous troubles and capable of making the step up then it just might be worth the risk. However based purely on his career overall he shouldn't even be considered.

Guest michaelfoster

Thats Shola's career in a nutshell tbf :D

Just a personal opinion on Shola, I hate him.

I can't even bring myself to begin to to talk about his goal scoring record because he is so lazy, careless and unintelligent in general play. In order to justify having Shola on the pitch with his general attributes he would have to score 2 goals every game in my opinion. Just such an absolute donkey of a player. I find I'm just always relieved when he scores as I can never quite believe he has managed to.

At 29 he is still offside as often as he was at the age of 12 I imagine. Still struggles to challenge for headers, never mind win them, without fouling the defenders the majority of the time. Still loses concentration way too much and fumbles the ball under no pressure whatsoever. Just a nightmare to watch. I personally just can't take this type of player. And lo and behold just when you think he might be putting together a tiny bit of anything resembling some sort of form he will get injured.

What kind of human being is this? Seriously?

I can't even bring myself to begin to to talk about his goal scoring record because he is so lazy, careless and unintelligent in general play. In order to justify having Shola on the pitch with his general attributes he would have to score 2 goals every game in my opinion. Just such an absolute donkey of a player. I find I'm just always relieved when he scores as I can never quite believe he has managed to.

At 29 he is still offside as often as he was at the age of 12 I imagine. Still struggles to challenge for headers, never mind win them, without fouling the defenders the majority of the time. Still loses concentration way too much and fumbles the ball under no pressure whatsoever. Just a nightmare to watch. I personally just can't take this type of player. And lo and behold just when you think he might be putting together a tiny bit of anything resembling some sort of form he will get injured.

Other end of the scale but the bit in bold is even more incomprehensibly retarded than Taylor's post in the Shola thread.

Guest michaelfoster

Shola would probably be a 15 goal a season championship player, no idea how he has spent his career in the premier league.

Other end of the scale but the bit in bold is even more incomprehensibly retarded than Taylor's post in the Shola thread.

Sorry, I actually meant 3 goals a game, and not 2! Yes, Shola's play is that damned awful.

Shola would probably be a 15 goal a season championship player, no idea how he has spent his career in the premier league.

Well considering he scored 10 in 11 starts last season I don't understand what this inference is based on.

That division is dogshit. The likes of Ebanks-Blake and Jason Scotland have ripped it to shreds in the past. Chopra is the Drogba of that division and Kevin Nolan was it's Lampard.

If Shola could keep himself fit for upwards of 40 games he'd hit 25 goals, absolutely no doubt. With Shola's fitness problems lies the difficulty in him ever achieving this, obviously.