Darren Bent Signs for Aston Villa

Guest neesy111

CaulkinTheTimes

81 - Since Aug 2005 Darren Bent has scored 81 Premier League goals, only Rooney & Drogba (both 82) have more in the same period. Swoop.

1 season of that in the Championship too?

Haven't checked myself, but it clearly says premier league goals, so I'd say no to your question.

What i'm saying is, in that period, he even spent one season in the Championship so arguably would have more than them if the season in the Championship was spent in The Premier League.

Two things strike me about this deal.

Firstly, I am flabbergasted that Sunderland are prepared to sell, at any money, when you consider their league position and the fact it is January.

Secondly, something must be very seriously wrong for Bent up there if he's submitted a transfer request.

For any high living pro footballer, especially as in his case coming from the capital, a move to Sunderland must be very carefully considered.

To enjoy any quality of life for you and your family, you are going to have to reside in "enemy" territory and at times that must be quite difficult.

The town the football club is based in will always hold them back.

CaulkinTheTimes

81 - Since Aug 2005 Darren Bent has scored 81 Premier League goals, only Rooney & Drogba (both 82) have more in the same period. Swoop.

1 season of that in the Championship too?

Nope. Scored 18 in the Prem that season.

If they had 18m all along, why didn't Lerner back MON?

How come that guy wouldn't give MO'N anymore cash now he's spending 20m on Bent?

Because, as i have been saying since the summer, MON was not told he could not have more money, he was told he had to do something about the unused dross on high wages that MON signed and was not using.

MON agreed to, then decided not to, then stropped off.

The press bought into this "selling club" / "lost interest" bullshit because the vast majority of them were so keen to suck MON's cock over it.

If they had 18m all along, why didn't Lerner back MON?

Because - and people keep ignoring this - Lerner did not tell MON there was no money, he told him to shift some of the players soaking up wages and never getting used.

Like Curtis Davies (10m, 30k a week or so?) now on loan at Leicester, Steve "15 mins at the end" Sidwell on his 40k a week, Habib "32 years old, 40k a week 3 year deal" Beye, Nigel "already got a stupid middle name" Reo Coker on his 50k a week.

Every manager in the league, bar one, has to manage his wage bill, when MON was asked to do something, he didn't fancy it and flounced off.

Ignoring the football merits, given the amount of utterly unmerited shit that has been thrown at Lerner since August - see Paul Hayward in yesterday's Observer for a recent example, with his "the chairman lost the passion long before MON did" bollocks - I hope this deal causes some people to think again.

Villa had 18 million?

Spending £18m now and staying up > Not scoring enough goals and ending up in the Championship.

we'll need to ask brummie if they are creating enough to warrant bringing in a player who is "only" a finisher.

It's funny how having a finisher makes a team more creative, though.

Guest neesy111

SAFC.com

The club can confirm that it received a written transfer from Darren Bent following yesterday's Wear-Tyne derby match.

:lol:

if irelands a part of this the scum are stupider than i thought hes a f***ing headcase

and no way would villa put downing in a part exchange

Agreed. Ireland, maybe. Downing, no chance.

Downing, along with Albrighton, has been our best player this season, so that won't be happening.

There are some good points on this thread about Bent not being able to play in a partnership with anyone, interesting stuff. To be quite honest, the "he only scores goals" thing is very pertinent too, as someone who just does that is precisely what we need right now

You lot seem to be playing Ashley Young just off the front man, and this is what suits Bent best as he makes great runs. Needs to be played through on goal. See Danny Murphy and Bent at Charlton.

Two things strike me about this deal.

Firstly, I am flabbergasted that Sunderland are prepared to sell, at any money, when you consider their league position and the fact it is January.

Secondly, something must be very seriously wrong for Bent up there if he's submitted a transfer request.

Sunderland isn't exactly cosmopolitan as Darren Bent's mum found out. It would be even better if they spend the money on N'Zogbia who'll be ready to leave before his suitcase is unpacked.

Just replied with something similar. Would love to see them sign Insomnia - he'd need a place on Tyneside and he wasn't even liked when he played for US  ;D

Guest johnson293

SAFC.com

The club can confirm that it received a written transfer from Darren Bent following yesterday's Wear-Tyne derby match.

"Wear - Tyne"?

I think they switch it around for wherever its being played... so Octobers match was the Tyne-Wear derby... yesterdays, the Wear-Tyne derby.

SAFC.com

"Wear - Tyne"?

They're very fussy about things like that. Quite an inferiority complex. I'm sure you get the same from that little club next to you who play in blue ?

SAFC.com

"Wear - Tyne"?

Their very fussy about things like that. Quite an inferiority complex. I'm sure you get the same from that little club next to you who play in blue ?

Yes, we do. It normally takes the form of "Blues are the club of people who live in the city, Villa of yokels who shop in the city"